Nov 01, 2015, 08:46 PM
Right now just themselves. We bought two to add to our basement track for the winter hoping they would be fine with the foam... apparently not lol.

Looking at more of the Losi truck various parts look beefier on it so that is interesting. I'll see if we can't get the ECX's up to "snuff" to handle the track and then just invest in Losi's from then on (we plan to use Mini-Z's but they are rare as hell in Canada, I bought the last ReadySet in the entire country just last week lol). Only issue is the brushless SCT will run rings around these ECX's and likely just end up smashing too often into the barriers (will have to adjust throttle travel).

I'm interested to try the Mini-Z buggies too but again, rare here but easy to get in the states.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2015, 08:40 PM
Well I got fed up last night and wasn't about to pay $20 for an Aluminum part that will simply pass the force of impact onto the links or other parts... and since no hobby stores up here are yet carrying ECX parts (maybe even won't due to cost of vehicle), I sat down and designed my own replacement based on the broken part.

It isn't a 100% perfect copy but it is pretty darn close and works great. I'll upload it to Thingaverse and possible beef it up more to handle the "wacks". I've added the STL file to this email for those that have a printer and need to print it :-)

Print at 100% infil and it's nice and strong (ABS). The screw holes are already sized for the screws so simply tap the screw in as per normal.
Nov 02, 2015, 11:02 PM
Heli's rule!
Thread OP
cool! I need to get me a 3d printer....
Nov 09, 2015, 06:14 AM
I've been occasionally running the 2s lipo that comes with the Losi brushless SCT. It is a remarkable improvement over the stock battery in speed and runtime. It is just too fast really for inside running the way we use our trucks on obstacles, ramps, tight turns, etc. The throttle pot does not do much but delay the engagement of the throttle so it just feels un natural so we don't prefer that. I don't do fast long runs with the lipo in fear that it will ultimately burn out the motor due to excess heat it creates. But so far the electronics have held up fine with the few runs with the lipo.
Nov 11, 2015, 10:34 AM
Edited
Last edited by SaltyPilot; Nov 13, 2015 at 10:12 AM.
Nov 11, 2015, 02:00 PM
Heli's rule!
Thread OP
If it's having issues centering, you got a bad unit. Mine is easy to trim to drive straight, and returns to straight after turning either direction.

As for your other complaints, it's obvious this is your first 1/24 scale vehichle. There is not a single 1/24 vehichle, at least none that i have tried that compares in any way, shap, or form to even a 1/18 vehichle.

Tight drivetrain. Yep, that's been my experience across the board with all brands. We are talking trucks 1/4 the size of a 1/10 scale, but with the same parts tolerance. When you have such tiny parts, you need tighter tolerances to keep things moving smoothly. But tighter tolerance costs money, and its already a tough sell when something like these ECX 1/24 trucks only cost $20 less than their 1/18 brethren. ... bearings will help, along with some hand fitting, or just let it be.

Speed. The point of 1/24 is not to scream across open parking lots. 1/24 is made to drive 8 your livingroom, or in garages. High speed and small areas don't mix. If you think it's too slow, then you won't be happy with any brushed 1/24 scale on the market. That said, I have a hard time believeing your q32 is faster. It might seem faster, but that's likley due to smaller scale..

Lame battery. As has been said several times in the thread, it will perform much better after 5 or 6 cycles.
Last edited by dacaur; Nov 11, 2015 at 06:48 PM.
Nov 12, 2015, 04:30 PM
Do these things have fully proportional throttle? It seems really lacking to me. I compare them against the Losi brushless 1/24 trucks and they don't seem to have great throttle control. The Losi trucks can go really slow with a little throttle. The Ruckus seems to be all or nothing. I tried messing with the throttle D/R and nothing seems to make a difference. I would love to be able to run the lipo batteries in these things and get a lot slower speed out of them at times. With the lipo they scream and are a bit too fast.
Nov 12, 2015, 07:57 PM
No these things are terrible on the throttle. It's almost like an old school Tamiya 3 Speed controller. One of my future projects is to work on that.

---

Managed to break another center steering drag link today, printed up five more this time lol.

---

I also took pics on how I am installing Lap Transponders in these things (Trackmate), I'll post the pics shortly.
Nov 12, 2015, 08:08 PM
Here is how you can easily add any transponder that uses a servo connector (I use Trackmate personally).

Note: I tried connecting a servo to that terminal after installing hoping that it was connected to the throttle channel but no luck, servo did not move. Too bad was hoping to install our own ESC in there to solve the low speed issue on this truck.

Remove all the screws (8 in total) to get the top off the chassis.

Make sure you mark what cable goes where and unplug the receiver box.

Carefully pop open the cover.

Remove the PCB and you will see the spare servo connector pads.

Here they are from below. Remove the solder using whatever method is easiest for you (Solder sucker etc).

View from the top

Connector to install.

3 pin Terminal strip installed

Cutting the case to provide clearance for the servo terminal strip

Finished cut out (you can get fancy and use a dremel or whatever.

Case back together with servo connector exposed

Transponder connected, time to re-assemble the truck.
Nov 12, 2015, 11:57 PM
Heli's rule!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by markarch
Do these things have fully proportional throttle? It seems really lacking to me. I compare them against the Losi brushless 1/24 trucks and they don't seem to have great throttle control. The Losi trucks can go really slow with a little throttle. The Ruckus seems to be all or nothing. I tried messing with the throttle D/R and nothing seems to make a difference. I would love to be able to run the lipo batteries in these things and get a lot slower speed out of them at times. With the lipo they scream and are a bit too fast.
Its not all or nothing, but as I noted in my review posts, the slowest speed isn't exactly a crawl like on many RC's.... After the initial step its completely proportional though....
It would be nice if there was some way to lower the lowest possible speed... On my sumos I can craw along just barely moving, but then, my sumos steering and range isn't as nice as this truck...
Nov 13, 2015, 06:10 AM
That is a good point. I do like the steering. I have no trouble whipping it around in my living room. It is pretty cool to do power slides with it on the hardwood floor. I'm going to pick up a set of Ruckus tires to put on my Losi micro SCT to give it a monster truck look. Looks like the wheel hubs are a match.
Nov 13, 2015, 07:34 PM
North Prairie Radio Control
I was looking at buying one of these little guys for christmas, but I had one question. Have any of you measured the top speed or could you give me an estimate. I'm looking to race the sct at a local 1/24th scale carpet track. Do you think I could compete? Competition is mainly losi scts and rally cars.
Thanks,

Eli Mathia ~ North Prairie Radio Control, North Prairie, WI
Nov 13, 2015, 07:55 PM
With these things, I don't think you would be competitive in the throttle management side of racing. The top speed would be comparable as long as you are running lipo batteries however, you won't have the throttle finesse to do the turns. I also have a losi brushless sct and would definitely go that route if I were you. It is so worth the extra money in my opinion. They track like they are on rails and have fully proportional throttle. I even ran my nimh battery in the sct instead of my lipo and it scooted along really fast.
Nov 13, 2015, 10:08 PM
Ok thanks. I'm used to a terrible throttle proportion. I drive my brother's redcat 1/10 sct and it behaves the same way as the 1/24th ecx torment according to what I have read. So I don't think that will be too much of a problem.
Last edited by NPRC; Nov 13, 2015 at 10:30 PM.
Nov 13, 2015, 10:10 PM
Also, does anyone have any running videos?

Quick Reply