Oct 31, 2015, 04:49 PM
Heli's rule!
Thread OP
Give the batteries a few more cycles and you will get much longer runtimes. mt first few runs were ridiculously short, but then after about 5 cycles it extended to around 7-9 min.

Alternatively, If you have a few small 2 cell lipos and switching BEC's sitting around you can do the mod I did detailed above to get great runtimes without all the added weight of 4 AAA batteries + battery holder sitting up high which will do you NO favors in the handling department...., With just a 300mah 2 cell running through a BEC set to 5 volts I get around 15 min of runtime. The truck pulls less than 2 amps, so nearly any bec will do.

Or just use a 1 cell lipo without the bec for extended runtimes but at lower speed, which might be a good thing for a small RCP track.
Last edited by dacaur; Oct 31, 2015 at 05:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2015, 09:35 PM
Flying is Freedom
Has anyone posted a link to a lipo that fits the stock battery tray?
Nov 01, 2015, 02:22 AM
no but i dont think any 2s lipo fits in battery tray look like you have to have it under the body.
but many 1s would fit. but that make you have 3,7v instead of 4,8v
Nov 01, 2015, 02:52 AM
Heli's rule!
Thread OP
My 300 mah pack almost fits, but it's a bit too fat. I wouldn't want to try 2 cell lipo connected directly on this truck though to tell the truth. Remember 2 cell lipo is an extra 45% voltage compared to stock, more than that really when you consider how badly the stock pack sags under load. Fully charged the stock pack should be around 5.8v, yet my setup with the bec set fo 5 volts is much more powerfull.... I think the electronics have a fairly good chance of surviving, it's the motor and gears I am worried about....
but, that said, packs made for the losi 1/24 trucks should fit. The thickness looks to be about 2mm more than the pack that comes with this truck, but then you still only get 250mah, and if connected directly, would give you LESS runtime than stock.
Nov 01, 2015, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engan
no but i dont think any 2s lipo fits in battery tray look like you have to have it under the body.
but many 1s would fit. but that make you have 3,7v instead of 4,8v
Maybe you could use this http://m.ebay.de/itm/381374544620 and a 1s lipo. Works great. The output stays exactly though the input voltage drops. Great little part!. It can handle 2A.
Nov 01, 2015, 07:03 AM
with a stepup the mah become less. if you have a 1s 500mah and step up to 5v then the mah reduce to like 300-400 ish. dacur setup with a stepdown bec seems better the mah last longer and better voltage for the car
Nov 01, 2015, 11:06 AM
Yep you guys were right, more cycles helped and we found the secret to insane run times...

We simply turned the TH pot down to 0. Yes this decreases the top end/speed but it is still plenty fast enough (still almost too fast) for foam tracks.

Now we get 18 to 22 minutes of runtime! And great racing.

So the basement "Mini SCT" series is ready to rock.

---

Now has anyone tried using the Losi SCT batteries? Connector looks the same but wasn't sure if they would fit.

Can't find the Dynamite batteries anywhere around here but lots of Losi's.

The other option is the truck that this thing likely came from, the HPSP:

https://www.asiatees.com/display?bra...d=71138&c=zrec

Much cheaper too. Another option is build our own packs using 2/3 aaa nimh cells.
Nov 01, 2015, 12:19 PM
Heli's rule!
Thread OP
Yes the connector is the same as the losi connector. I am using a losi connector to plug my bec into the truck.The losi nimh packs are identical to the dynamite packs.
Nov 01, 2015, 12:26 PM
Heli's rule!
Thread OP
On a side note, the transmitters for these trucks are very efficient. I have left mine on twice overnight, for around 18-20 hours each time, and its not yet flashing low battery.... I've probably got 45+ hours on the included AA's at this point... very impressive IMO.
Nov 01, 2015, 01:49 PM
Do the Losi SCT bodies fit as well? If so we can grab some clear bodies to make up new ones (ECX only has two and things will start to get confusing... or we just stick number plates on em).
Nov 01, 2015, 02:49 PM
Heli's rule!
Thread OP
I doubt the body posts would be in the right place, but new holes could be drilled, or just use velcro. The ecx trucks have a slightly longer wheelbase than the losi's, but not enough so it wouldnt work. Any 1/24 body could be made to work really...
Nov 01, 2015, 06:09 PM
True, will have to try.

Had our first breakage, not even two days old lol. Gotta love Horizon Hobby. One of the steering links to a wheel snapped. Time to look for parts.

EDIT: Tore the truck to pieces, it is EXACTLY a Losi SCT... perfect. So now I'm going to order the Aluminum version of the part we broke and see how it goes:

Team Losi - LOSB1648

Now I know we can start upgrading various parts too!
Last edited by Thorvald; Nov 01, 2015 at 06:45 PM.
Nov 01, 2015, 07:50 PM
Heli's rule!
Thread OP
Do you have the ruckus or the torment? I am guessing ruckus since I dont see how you could break that part on a torment... I don't know that you can blame horizon when someone breaks after hitting something, things break when you crash.

About it being a losi SCT, nope, there are some definite similarity, but its not a clone, there are lots of parts that are different. The part in question is very similar to the losi part, but its not an exact clone.... Its interesting how many parts are so close, yet were obviously produced from a different mold. Only a side by side comparison accompanied by trying it one the truck could tell if they are compatible. It would be interesting to know for sure exactly what parts are interchangeable....

You say it was one one the links to the wheel that snapped, but losb1648 doesn't include those links, just the main center part that the servo moves back and forth.... The links to the wheels are just little flat bits of plastic with holes in the end.
Nov 01, 2015, 08:04 PM
Yes sorry, it was the center part once I tore it down. Hence why I will try the Losi Alum one but I expect the damage will just pass onto the next "weaker" part.

It's a Torment. After tearing it apart I can see it be very easy to break, this is not a basher. Our main issue is the tires are exposed and when racing on RCP style tracks (Foam tracks) the tires hit the barrier first... hence all impact passes straight into the steering system.

I might pickup the cheaper Losi SCT just to use as a third truck for racing and as a comparison vehicle. I just can't determine why Losi has two models, one ends in T1 and the other in T2 but the features look exact from what I can see. I'll have to read the thread on here closer.

Interesting you can get a DSM conversion for this thing but the price of that is an entire ECX Torment truck lol.

I'm also likely going to try the Losi oil shocks as thing thing is very "bouncy" out of the box with friction shocks.
Nov 01, 2015, 08:23 PM
Heli's rule!
Thread OP
The T1 and T2 just denote different body colors. All of losi;'s 1/24 vehicles will have a number like LOSBxxxxT1 or LOSBxxxxT2, with T1 being one color, and T2 being the other color.

I noticed the bounciness too, especially in the rear, but I don't think the losi shocks would easily fit as they are a lot fatter. They also have a screw eye on both ends, where the ecx has a ball link on the upper end.... I am sure they could be made to work with some spacers and/or some kind of mods to the shock towers and possibly lower arms, but its not going to be a bolt on affair.. The length at least looks to be right.... I know my sumo shocks would not go on without some mods if I wanted to use sumo oil shocks....
Would be nice to have oil shocks available, but when you start adding a lot of stuff like that, it doesn't take long to get to the point when you should have just got the 2.4ghz losi truck....

I would certainly like to have a real losi truck to compare this too.... It compares pretty well to my sumos, but I have only ever drivin the losi's a couple times and that was years ago. Maybe with christmass coming up santa will bring me a used one...

What are you racing the ECX trucks against?

Quick Reply