Jul 08, 2004, 03:40 PM
Zen Flying Master
Thread OP

If anyone is curious, there's about to be a case on Judge Joe Brown about RC planes

I will post more here as soon as I hear the actual case, but this is a heads up in case anyone else wants to watch...it's CBS, and it's now 4:40 PM Eastern. I think it will come on within the hour. I'll post details when it's over, but it involves a P-38 (That looks like the new Hobby-lobby One)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2004, 03:49 PM
Zen Flying Master
Thread OP
Alright, never mind. Psssh....I thought it was something about one destroying a plane and figuring out liability, but no. One guy gave the other a truck bedcover in return for some builds, and was suing because he didn't feel like the builders portion of the agreement had been fufilled. Oh well......lol
Jul 09, 2004, 08:16 AM
ooops
yeah sweet planes but like most Tv the show is dreck.
Rick
Jul 09, 2004, 10:48 AM
Hi:

I get a kick out of watching Judge Joe from time to time. About a year ago, he had a case involving a loan/gift of money for a guy a guy whose girlfriend had bought him an RC boat at the LHS. They broke up and now she was after him for all and sundry that had been exchanged during the course of their time together. The question came down to .... was the boat a loan or a gift?

I could tell by the questions Judge Joe was asking, he has some considerable experience with RC at some time ... both airplanes and boats. I was impressed.

Oh .... it was determined the girl gave him the boat for his birthday, so she got nothing on that section of the suit. He did have to pay back a stupidly large cell phone bill for calls he made on her second phone for a few months after they broke up.

Lee
Jul 09, 2004, 01:37 PM
Zen Flying Master
Thread OP
Well, the guy who was supposed to build the planes was also an electrician. Judge Joe asked him what he had to pay contractors when he hired them. The guy answered "About $22/hr" which Joe considered reasonable. Then he asked how much the bed cover cost the Plantiff (about $950) They both agreed he had already built 2 planes for him, and estimated 25 hours per plane. Based on the $22/hr, Judge Joe said he had done enough work, and dismissed the case. (By the way, apparently the Plantiff had returned 2 or 3 of the planes which is why the defendant hadn't put them together)

But I was amused that Judge Joe put the court in recess so he could get up and go look at the planes that had been brought in. They included a Sig 4-star .40 and .60, another high-wing plane, the P-38 and one or two others. He seemed very interested in the planes, and the cost of them (The plantiff estimated that to get them up and running cost him over $1000 per plane.....)
Jul 09, 2004, 11:17 PM
If you check out Judge Joe's background as well as the other people on the show you will see they are all experienced in law enforcement in some way or another.
What makes this court room show more real than the others is the research done for each case. The laws that apply in the state that the people are from are those that Joe uses in his decisions--ie the tort limits for small claims vary from state to state. He also researches the items in question for each case--thus his knowledge of R/C. Also he tends to make known his displeasure when necessary. I enjoy his show.

Quick Reply