Sep 08, 2015, 06:15 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Guillows Super Cub 95 Conversion

Ok... so here is yet another stinkin' Guillows Super Cub 95 conversion.
This is my first conversion so I decided to "cheat" to increase my chances of success. I used ALL the parts from an E-flight UMX Carbon Cub SS. The dimensions are VERY similar so not only could I use the electronics but also the battery hatch / landing gear assy. How very convenient. I used many of y'alls ideas and build techniques on this bird... so you might see some of you own "work" here... thanks.
The photos mostly tell the little story.

The "Dirty Details":
* DSM2 6 ch ultra micro RX w/ AS3X
* BL180 2500 kv outrunner w/ 5x2.75 prop
* 2.3 gram linear long throw offset servos (Ailerons)
* 180 mha 2s 7.4 20c lipo battery
* Solite covering (my first time...ugh)
* No washout (I fogot)
* No dihedral (since it has alierons)
* AUW is 100 grams
* COG balanced at 30mm (per plans) without any adjustments

Hasn't been flown yet so any suggestions would be appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2015, 08:36 PM
awesome work!
Sep 09, 2015, 03:46 AM
Crashing with style
Just delightful.

Did you ever consider recessing the aileron servos into the wing?

The covers do a great job of hiding the raw electronics but as the balsa construction provides a cavity in the wing I s'pose its a possibility. The overall result you have achieved is brilliant though.

Suggestions for your maiden - just do it - over long grass preferably! (oh and make sure you get someone to video it too!)

Jon
Sep 09, 2015, 07:08 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the kind words.
Jon... Yes I did consider putting the servos inside the wings for better scale appearance but decided to keep it simple and just surface mount them as they were on the E-flite Carbon Cub. The servo covers came from the Carbon Cub too. I admit I "cheated" every which way I could on this build just to see if it will fly.
Sep 09, 2015, 09:21 AM
Oh! Just love model
Beautiful finish on that one. I don't think you cheated. The idea is to get a pretty new bird into the air.

August
Sep 09, 2015, 02:08 PM
Very nice plane!
Waiting for a video...

I recently bought a 26 " J3 piper cub from union model, and i hope the build will be as neat as your's.
Sep 20, 2015, 03:48 PM
Thread OP

It flew !!

So here are some crumby video clips of the first few flights.... I got lucky... It flew fine.

Guillows Piper Super Cub 95 Conversion (2 min 8 sec)
Sep 20, 2015, 05:30 PM
Or current resident
Nice job and congrats on the successful flight. It's always a great feeling of accomplishment to see your creation take flight!
Glenn
May 11, 2016, 06:19 PM
AKA Jagdpanther9
yaye! looks great flys great. nice job.
May 11, 2016, 06:33 PM
Nice work! Now you can build lots more having the confidence it works. Baby powder/talc on the Solite makes it much easier to handle...if you haven't had that tip.
Lots of ground broken ahead of you for many of the Guillows models and you can even double their size and build some nice flyers as well. The bigger ones fly even better and handle wind much better.
May 17, 2016, 09:09 AM
Registerd Beaver
Nice work JHR. Beautiful finish.

Well done

- Phil
May 21, 2016, 06:21 PM
Nice job. Reminds me of the one I finished recently at 100grams, using yellow Microlite with a coat of paint. Probably the best flying yet, with the incidence set 0-0 to the zero lift line. I thought I may have taken too much out, but it was in perfect trim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird
Just delightful.

Did you ever consider recessing the aileron servos into the wing?

The covers do a great job of hiding the raw electronics but as the balsa construction provides a cavity in the wing I s'pose its a possibility. The overall result you have achieved is brilliant though.

Suggestions for your maiden - just do it - over long grass preferably! (oh and make sure you get someone to video it too!)

Jon
I've become less and less of a micro linear fan, due to failure issues. They look good recessed, but then again I've had to pull two of them in the past and replace, one in a Guillows Beaver. Not fun with a finished model like this. I used the micro HKs which actually fit in the wing, requiring thin plastic laminate to recreate the bottom portion of the wing ribs. Not much room in there.
May 22, 2016, 08:26 AM
Thread OP
Thank you for the compliments.
Antiarf- I surfaced mounted the aileron servos only out of convenience... being my first conversion and using the parts from the E-flight Carbon Cub i didn't try to "get fancy". :-)
I did bury the servos on my second conversion... the Cessna 150 (kit 309).
BTW... your Cub looks absolutely great.
Jul 17, 2019, 08:36 PM
How did you hinge your ailerons, elevator, and rudder?
Jul 18, 2019, 10:32 AM
The Junk Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_USAF
How did you hinge your ailerons, elevator, and rudder?
Hello Joshua, and welcome to the forum.

Not my thread, but the best way to hinge these conversions that I have found is using monofilament fishing line. About 6 to 10 pound test is plenty. Pull the line through a folded piece of sandpaper to roughen the surface, then just make a small hole to push them in.

Tom

Quick Reply