Tower Hobbies Kaos 60 GP/EP ARF - RC Groups

Tower Hobbies Kaos 60 GP/EP ARF

A classic sport-aerobatic balsa ARF is reborn.

Tower Hobbies Kaos 60 GP/EP ARF

The Iconic Kaos Is Back!

The original Kaos 60 was a jack-of-all-trades. It helped graduate many rc pilots from high wing training to sport aerobatics, and was a great pattern flying trainer as well. And now that Tower Hobbies has reintroduced the Kaos 60, it will be sure to help a new generation of pilots become better on the sticks!

The Tower Hobbies Kaos 60 GP/EP ARF can be powered with a 2-stroke .60-.65 or 4-stroke .90 glow engine or 50-55-500kV outrunner brushless motor.

Specs:

• Wingspan: 62 in (1575 mm)
  • Wing Area: 748 in² (48.2 dm²)
  • Wing Loading: 22-25 oz/ft² (67-76 g/dm²)
  • Length: 57.5 in (1460 mm), Weight: 7-8.25 lb (3170-3740 g)
  • Requirements: 2-stroke .60-.65 or 4-stroke .90 glow engine or 50-55-500kV outrunner
brushless motor, 75A ESC, 6S LiPo battery & charger, Radio system with a minimum of 4 channels, 3 servos (for electric power) or 4 servos (for glow power), 6.6V 1100mAh LiFe Rx battery, and Propeller

CLICK HERE for more info on the new Tower Hobbies Kaos 60 GP/EP ARF

Sep 08, 2015, 11:33 AM
We shall serve the Lord
I've been waiting for a 60 sized built-up Kaos ARF for a long time and here it is!

Very nice looking, but I think your servo requirement list is off by one servo for each setup. Since the pictures show dual aileron servos, I think it will need 4 servos for the electric version and 5 servos for the glow/gas version.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Sep 08, 2015, 11:41 AM
Engine man
I don't understand why these ARF's end up weighing so darn much. My SIG Astro Hog has about the same specification as the GP Escapade 61 and weighs 2.25lb less. A 60 size Kaos kit at that size should weigh no more than 7.25 lb TOPS. The higher weight, the higher wing loading. JMO.
Sep 08, 2015, 12:17 PM
AMA 537620
Weight seems reasonable for the type of plane, even 25 oz/sq ft is not that bad. Sig makes some pretty light airframes too, stick built sub assemblies and/or with several lightening holes and sparse application of plywood, compared to Tower/Hobbico which tend to make solid planes with very few lightening holes, solid ribs, solid tail feathers, plywood applied liberally etc.
Sep 09, 2015, 08:52 AM
Can it fly? I'll try and see!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrcflyr2
I don't understand why these ARF's end up weighing so darn much. My SIG Astro Hog has about the same specification as the GP Escapade 61 and weighs 2.25lb less. A 60 size Kaos kit at that size should weigh no more than 7.25 lb TOPS. The higher weight, the higher wing loading. JMO.
Look at the inside pics for one.. you've got a light ply structure with balsa sheeting overtop, then covering ontop of that.. I'd guess the wings are fully sheeted as well. it's just how they choose to build them...
Sep 09, 2015, 12:13 PM
AMA 537620
I see ribs in the first pic, but you can bet there's a hardwood spar top and bottom, shear webs, solid ribs (cheaper to make, faster to mass produce) and a full D-tube front leading edge. It's built like a tank.
Sep 09, 2015, 02:13 PM
Engine man
That is no doubt a nice looking ARF. I would fly it if it were given to me, but I would prefer to build my own and make it a taildragger. I have not flown a tricycle gear airplane in over 25 years. Funny how some ARF's are built quite heavy while others aren't. The ones I have gotten from Value Hobby are quite light, but my GP Escapade is a tank too.
Sep 09, 2015, 04:06 PM
My friend's kit built .60 Webra powered Kaos back in the 70s weighed about 6 lbs with no fuel. That's why it had impressive flight performance. Fast and yet could do high alpha on low throttle, impressive at the time.

8 lbs may be the max weight this airframe can fly well at, but yes lighter is better.
Sep 10, 2015, 05:59 PM
I have owned a Kaos for the past 10 yrs, and love the way they fly. This looks fairly nice, but one thing really grips me... that one piece plastic (or glass) cowl.. It appears on most ARF's now days. I would have rathered they kept with the original look.
Sep 16, 2015, 03:03 AM
I built and flew one of these back in the late 70's as my first low-winger and second airplane. I started off with a Sig Kadet, back when there was only one. What a fun plane the Kaos was! I never crashed it and still have it carefully packaged out in the garage. Maybe I should electrify it and fly it again!

BTW, the tail is not square with the wing on that demo ARF. I got all the alignment right on mine!
Sep 17, 2015, 08:25 PM
CPA# 39
I think it important to differentiate this Tower Kaos from the true Bridi Kaos.

As nice as this airplane is, the Bridi Kaos was and is a superior aircraft... and different.

Too bad Tower has the rights to the name.

Brian
Sep 17, 2015, 09:24 PM
Now you see it...
Preordered and I bought a new engine for it. Should scream on this!
Sep 17, 2015, 11:34 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeFlyer
I think it important to differentiate this Tower Kaos from the true Bridi Kaos.

As nice as this airplane is, the Bridi Kaos was and is a superior aircraft... and different.

Too bad Tower has the rights to the name.

Brian

A month ago at a local swap meet I found a well built Bridi kit Kaos in the bones. The owner sold it to me for 20.00. Promptly located an OS 61fsr for it and am currently getting ready to cover. I love the way these fly
Sep 17, 2015, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy
A month ago at a local swap meet I found a well built Bridi kit Kaos in the bones. The owner sold it to me for 20.00. Promptly located an OS 61fsr for it and am currently getting ready to cover. I love the way these fly
It's that 19% symmetrical wing among other things. Nice and stable, especially with 3 deg of wash-out.
Sep 18, 2015, 07:14 AM
CPA# 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq
It's that 19% symmetrical wing among other things. Nice and stable, especially with 3 deg of wash-out.
The washout must have been intentionally built into it. It isn't in the plans.

Great airplane...

Although, I like the plug-in wing idea in this Tower knock-off.

Brian