Waco UBF - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 07, 2015, 09:20 PM
Power Upward
Discussion

Waco UBF

Spent some time within the Western Antique Aeroplane and Automobile Museum in Hood River, Oregon on Sunday. I was allowed behind the ropes for some up close pictures of this still flying UBF. Maybe some day soon I might get to see it fly. Thought it would be of interest here...

Waco UBF & Waco UBF-2 : 210 hp (157 kW)p Continental R-670 engine. Around 11 built. (two built for US Navy late in the USS Macon airship program as XJW-1 trainers with skyhooks for launch and recovery from the airship).

George
Last edited by GeorgeG97322; Sep 08, 2015 at 01:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2015, 03:17 PM
IIRC, the Waco on floats, seen in "Raiders of Lost Ark" was a UBF-2.

Neat images, especially the Airship version!

BTW--Did you see my old Aeronca KCA, there in Hood River?
http://www.waaamuseum.org/collection...CA-%22Chief%22

BTW- again, "Chief" designation INCORRECT. However Chief evolved from KCA.
Last edited by packardpursuit; Sep 08, 2015 at 03:25 PM.
Sep 08, 2015, 05:38 PM
Power Upward
PP,

I did see the KCA there, and all of the airplanes were marvelous to see.

I had forgotten that the float plane in "Raiders" was a UBF.

I am currently working on 1/9th scale plans for the XJW version with the dirigible hook.

George
Sep 09, 2015, 02:26 PM
Kinda interesting to see Waco QCF-2 scale drawing appear along side UBF
(same as above), over on Hip Pocket's listing of scale drawings: http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/...?image_id=6664

QCF-2 appears to be slightly smaller in engine power, yet span is actually 1" bigger. A lot of other dimensions and figures are identical, shared through out F series. Family resemblance is quite noticeable and may just be variations of the same basic theme(??). Waco designation system is rather complex and covers several well known types. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco_F_series

UBF could have been built to stronger standard(?), with heavier frame and wood components, heavier flying wires, etc.(?). Would love to learn the actual differences!
Sep 09, 2015, 02:56 PM
Power Upward
PP,

As far as I know, the early model "F" versions were very similar with what I believe to be only construction modifications. The later model "F" versions xMF and xPF had more structural changes made to the basic design, span increased 6" and length increased as well, and body more rounded.

George
Sep 16, 2017, 10:31 AM

I plan to build a 1/4 scale WACO UBF

Hi George, good pictures. I plan to finish building a 1/4 scale UBF, I had all the parts laser cut many years ago, started to build ,but stoped for reason I don't remember. I can't find the Corel draw files I used to have them cut, if I find them I'll send you a copy if you like. Are you wanting to build one? if so let's stay in touch.
Bob
I found my .cdr (Corel Draw) files. If anyone would like them let me know, I can send them via CD or E-mail I think! I also have them in Solidworks format.
Bob
Last edited by Skinny Bob; Sep 16, 2017 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Add more info
Sep 16, 2017, 09:59 PM
Hi Bob.
I would be interested in the files.
Can they be converted to DXF?
I can PM my email address
thanks
Andy
Sep 18, 2017, 04:29 PM

.cdr files convert to .dxf

Yes they can in Corel Draw, I think also in some other Vector programs.
Bob
Last edited by Skinny Bob; Oct 11, 2017 at 04:56 PM. Reason: First not true.