This thread is privately moderated by Knife Liddle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2015, 10:37 PM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Ok I'm editing and uploading some video. There are 3 clips. The 1st is on 4s 4000mah, so full voltage. It reads about 1000g thrust. Then I do 4s using a 1550mah 65c Nanotech Aspec. It starts at 1000, but drops to about 850g pretty quickly. Then I do 5s 4000mah. I say in the video that it is 3.3lbs at 1500w, but it is more like 3.5lbs at about 1700w. I'll embed the video here when it's up.
Sep 06, 2015, 10:48 PM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Yes they are tiny, but can really deliver some big power when set up right.
Sep 06, 2015, 10:55 PM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP

Video Up

Here is the video that I described above

50mm Mad Thrust shroud, 2845-4700 Leopard Hobby

Custom HiPo 50mm edf (2 min 30 sec)
Sep 07, 2015, 12:05 AM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Here's my 50mm speed wing on 8s at approximately 1.7kw. It now is set up on 9s at 2.3kw waiting for cooler weather.

Fussy focus, but you'll get the point.

Extreme Thundercat @ 1.7kw (2 min 35 sec)
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Sep 07, 2015 at 12:19 AM.
Sep 20, 2015, 03:02 PM
Innocent Bystander
Outstanding !!! That will work nicely on the 1550 mAh I bet I can get those batteries in the jets.... Singles or Twins. Batteries are gonna be the limiter here I'm guessing. Nice work.
Mar 22, 2017, 09:13 AM
Blue skies!
Superb, Knife Liddle.. thank you.
So, once I've gone at the shroud with the tungsten carbide burr equipped Dremel, I need to find longer bolts.
I take it the 28mm motor will never be flush with the stock mounting plate, due to the stators and mounting ring? Just trying to get this into my head

Thanks, Lee.

Picked this little guy up from HK earlier. Wish I'd bought 2, just in case.
Mar 22, 2017, 09:21 AM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Not not flush. It sits on top, the motor tube edge. You could fill the void, but it's not necessarily at all. I always round the front edge of the motor a little to smooth the airflow.
Mar 22, 2017, 09:49 AM
Blue skies!
Gotcha. So when shortening the motor tube, how did you get the motor tube edge perfectly flat? I can see me ending up with a wonky Leopard
Last edited by Psychosix; Mar 22, 2017 at 10:27 AM.
Mar 22, 2017, 11:54 AM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Put a cutoff wheel in a drill press and cut it from the inside. The drill press isn't a hand tool. I forgot this one step.

It could probably be done by locking a dremel tool down to a bench and then locking a block of wood in place to rest the shroud against while cutting it.
Mar 22, 2017, 12:51 PM
Blue skies!
Thanks, Lee. Going to try figure something out. Nothing fun is ever easy
Mar 22, 2017, 01:41 PM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
If you don't figure it out, let me know. I have an idea that should work. It's simple but showing a picture would be better than trying to describe it. Let me try.

Take a large washer (a little less than 50mm od and maybe 20mm id) put it inside the front of the shroud, resting on the motor mount and stators. Then on the dremel tool, you need to modify the plastic cap that screws on the end where the shaft comes out. It needs a flat area around the shaft. Maybe glue a washer on it. This washer about 20mm outer dia. Feed the cutoff wheel shank through the motor mount and large washer with the wheel in position to cut the motor tube wall. Then put it in the dremel tool. The trick will be to set the length of the shaft and tighten the dremel nut. So now the dremel is kind of like a router, using the two washers to keep things straight. Set the shroud on the bench and you should be able to move the dremel around so that you cut the tube at a consistent depth. Take everything apart and presto. There you go.

You could actually use something like 1/16" plywood to make the washers if you wanted. I'm sure it will work. Not as easy as a drill press, but doable.
Mar 22, 2017, 03:19 PM
Blue skies!
I think I'm with you, mate. The washer forces you to cut at a uniform depth. Will still need to get it all in front of me to better visualise things. Think I follow you though.

I wanted to have a whack at it this evening... may need to wait until tomorrow now
Mar 27, 2017, 06:58 AM
Blue skies!
Sorted. Didn't get started on it until yesterday, but managed to get it all done.

So, in terms of rotor.. what should I be using? A 50mm fan or something bigger cut down?

Cheers, Lee.

Quick Reply