Oct 03, 2015, 01:28 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1925
Yea looks like it wasn't on right before shipping or came loose during transit. Didn't have a single issue with it at the field.
Got through 2 batteries before my little boy needed the toilet (I did ask him as always if he needed to go before we set off lol).

Have to give a massive thank you to everyone that's contributed to the thread (especially SPF) for convincing me to get this little bird!
My only experience previously was with my V911s and as much fun as the V911 is the K110 is several levels higher for smiles.
She feels so precise in comparison and suffers from non of the frustrations of the V911 such as the pendulum effect and altitude loss during FFF.
Speaking of FFF, I'm sure some of you that are used to flybarless helis will find this funny but the speed compared to my V911s was astonishing...and I was only using 6G and low rates!

I've still got a big stupid grin on my face

Glad to hear you are having a good time with it. Low rates and 6G it's indeed quite a bit faster than a 45 degree flybar design like the V911, or the Solo Pro V, that the WL Toys was partially based upon. It also is more capable handling a breeze, as it can reduce pitch to get down from an upward draft, where a 45 degree flybar FP you can only reduce throttle, and that again causes the bird to become unstable.

Just take it easy, get the feel for it, and you can enjoy this bird for many hours to come, I think.

I'll see if I can find a digital copy of the manual, or maybe just type the basic BnF settings here, so people that are using a different TX will have a starting point.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2015, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHATCHAIAPI
Plan to order BNF version for Futaba T8J, Could anyone share me the Manual or procedure for Binding & setting for BNF version?

Thanks for any help
I binded to my Futaba T6J. Pretty easy.

1. Choose a memory slot on your TX for use with K110
2. Set it to heli mode and H-1 (normal) swash type
3. While the TX is on, power K110. You should see a blinking light (forgot red or blue one) on the K110 board
4. Press and hold the little bind button on the K110 board until the the blinking light stops blinking and you're done. It's easy to locate the little bind button. (Refer to page 8 if couldn't locate it, it's called code key)

Refer to the instruction here :
Name: 06.jpg
Views: 553
Size: 475.9 KB
Description: Manual Page 6

5. Set the throttle and pitch curves as shown in the instruction.

NORMAL MODE
Throttle : 0, 45, 65, 80, 100
Pitch : 40, 45, 50, 60, 70

IDLE-UP MODE
Throttle : 100, 100, 100, 100, 100
Pitch : 30, 40, 50, 60, 70

6. Tune the throttle and pitch to your liking.
As stated here and as I've let a pro tried it, the default pitch setting is too low for 3D flight.
* I did manage to invert my K110 following the pitch curve in the manual though but I was still in my early training period so I can't comment on it.

7. Finally go to your gyro gain setting. Decide which switch position you want for 3D and 6G mode.
0 - 30 for 3D mode
70 - 100 for 6G mode

Name: 07-08.jpg
Views: 776
Size: 698.1 KB
Description: Page 7 - 8

Actually I've a full scanned copy of the manual. I can share it out if anyone is interested.
Oct 03, 2015, 02:16 PM
Thread OP
Great info. Can I post this in the first postings, so it can be easily found by someone that stumbles upon this thread?

Scanned manual would be great too, for easy reference.

Really had a blast today with the Blast. After the morning flight, later today the wind died down, and I could use the big open field to fly. Even at 6G mode it's still fast, and the stabilizing doesn't feel like it's overly limiting the flight performance. I don't have to push the stick forward a lot to keep it up to speed, even though flying on low rates. And when letting the stick go to center again, the heli doesn't slow down very fast, you really need to move the stick backwards to brake hard, if you want to.

This is a good thing, because it doesn't teach you the bad habit to make big stick movements to fight the self stabilizing, and then, when switching to 3G mode, be overcompensating all the time, because much smaller stick movements are needed. Even in 6G mode, being gentle on the sticks is recommended.
Oct 03, 2015, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderu
I binded to my Futaba T6J. Pretty easy.

1. Choose a memory slot on your TX for use with K110
2. Set it to heli mode and H-1 (normal) swash type
3. While the TX is on, power K110. You should see a blinking light (forgot red or blue one) on the K110 board
4. Press and hold the little bind button on the K110 board until the the blinking light stops blinking and you're done. It's easy to locate the little bind button. (Refer to page 8 if couldn't locate it, it's called code key)

Attachment 8300937

5. Set the throttle and pitch curves as shown in the instruction.

NORMAL MODE
Throttle : 0, 45, 65, 80, 100
Pitch : 40, 45, 50, 60, 70

IDLE-UP MODE
Throttle : 100, 100, 100, 100, 100
Pitch : 30, 40, 50, 60, 70

6. Tune the throttle and pitch to your liking.
As stated here and as I've let a pro tried it, the default pitch setting is too low for 3D flight.
* I did manage to invert my K110 following the pitch curve in the manual though but I was still in my early training period so I can't comment on it.

7. Finally go to your gyro gain setting. Decide which switch position you want for 3D and 6G mode.
0 - 30 for 3D mode
70 - 100 for 6G mode

Attachment 8300952

Actually I've a full scanned copy of the manual. I can share it out if anyone is interested.
We interest Full scan manual, Could you share me?
Oct 04, 2015, 10:03 AM
Tried some of these today;
http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V966-...-p-936263.html
The tail blades won't fit without drilling so I've just swapped the main blades so far, they fit perfectly. Whether they're better or worse I'm too much of a noob to tell

Had my first flight in a breeze today and could hardly tell there was any wind during flying.
Even tried 3G mode for the first time, just hovering but she was so stable I had to keep reminding myself I wasn't in 6G mode

Used 3 packs and still no crashes, I'm either not trying hard enough or just saving it all up for a big one
Oct 04, 2015, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHATCHAIAPI
We interest Full scan manual, Could you share me?
Sure. I'm happy to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Great info. Can I post this in the first postings, so it can be easily found by someone that stumbles upon this thread?

Scanned manual would be great too, for easy reference...
Absolutely sure. But what method is preferred? Should I attach the manual here or just like share a Google Drive link?

Quote:
Tried some of these today;
http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V966-...-p-936263.html
The tail blades won't fit without drilling so I've just swapped the main blades so far, they fit perfectly. Whether they're better or worse I'm too much of a noob to tell

Had my first flight in a breeze today and could hardly tell there was any wind during flying.
Even tried 3G mode for the first time, just hovering but she was so stable I had to keep reminding myself I wasn't in 6G mode

Used 3 packs and still no crashes, I'm either not trying hard enough or just saving it all up for a big one
Glad to hear the main blades work. I'm also waiting for mine to arrive.

K110 have a larger diameter tail motor shaft, 1.0mm. I think V977 is 0.8mm. I'm also waiting for these larger tails to arrive :
Skyarte NANO/NANO CP Mini CP Super CP Tail Blade(1.0mm) NANO-032

I think this should hold the tail better when flying over stronger winds.

Unfortunately for me my K110 is grounded after today's flight. I will need to order new parts and wait... Lost a link, blade holders, and feathering shaft when training on inverted.

Few feet tall grass are ideal for absorbing crashes but if you wanna look for missing parts, gonna be searching for a needle in a haystack.

Name: IMG-20151004-WA0003.jpg
Views: 387
Size: 173.4 KB
Description:
Last edited by Anderu; Oct 04, 2015 at 10:35 AM.
Oct 04, 2015, 10:38 AM
She does look a bit sorry for herself in the pic, hope your parts come soon!
I've got some spare bits on the the slow boat already just in case.
I very nearly ordered some of those tail blades but thought I'd wait to see if the others fitted.

Is that a different main gear? Mines black and appears to be made of liquorice.
Oct 04, 2015, 11:03 AM
Quote:
...Is that a different main gear? Mines black and appears to be made of liquorice.
Yup. It's Hisky HCP80 WLtoys V933 V977 Helicopter Parts Main Rotor Gears.

More teeth beside the initial 2 that I damaged in the original main gears gave way. So I tried out the spare. The plastic does feel stronger but I'm not sure of a slight issue with it.

Sometimes when I failed to TH in time. I found that flat side of the shaft slipped out of the flat side on the main gear. Probably it's the result of me pushing it the wrong way the first time I switch to this main gear. I need to try another one after this one gave way to be sure.
Oct 04, 2015, 01:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderu

Absolutely sure. But what method is preferred? Should I attach the manual here or just like share a Google Drive link?

Please attach. That way it will always be available as long as RCG is up. And when RCG is down, this topic will be down anyway.

Any benefit to these blades, these look a little stronger than stock, is that correct? I did see some V977 owners use these as well, but forgot what the reason was, besides the bright colors.
Oct 04, 2015, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Please attach. That way it will always be available as long as RCG is up. And when RCG is down, this topic will be down anyway.

Any benefit to these blades, these look a little stronger than stock, is that correct? I did see some V977 owners use these as well, but forgot what the reason was, besides the bright colors.
I'm too inexperienced to tell if they made any difference. Got them as I thought it might make orientation easier.
Just tried the green ones so far and with it being so sunny they were no help at all
Oct 04, 2015, 03:36 PM
Thread OP
I wonder why so little use is made of the color orange. Since I use a neon orange sharpie on the white blades of my H8 Mini quad, it is so much easier to make out orientation. Yellow and red are also very good colors. Bright green can work, but only under certain circumstances.
Oct 05, 2015, 07:20 AM
Here's the manual. Enjoy.

I would also like to add some info on the 6G hovering mode setting as stated in page 6 of the manual. I've did some testing and I think this is how you calibrate :

1. Switch on TX
2. Switch on K110 and wait for it to bind to TX
3. Switch to 6G mode
4. With the throttle stick down, pull down the elevator stick and hold the position
5. Wait for LED (I did not check which one) to blink
6. Lift off K110 and hover it in one spot
7. While the K110 is hovering in one spot slowly land the heli and keep the throttle at 0
8. Pull down the elevator stick again and hold the position
9. Wait for the LED to stop blinking and you're finished with the calibration

I've not tested 3D gyroscope calibration but I'm sure the steps are like below :

(MODE 2)
1. Switch on TX
2. Switch on K110 and wait for it to bind to TX
3. Switch to 3D mode
4. Move and hold the throttle stick to the bottom left location. At the same time move and hold the cyclic stick to the bottom right location.
5. Wait for LED (I did not check which one) to blink
6. Wait until the LED stop blinking and the gyroscope calibration is complete
Oct 08, 2015, 03:25 PM
Thread OP
Thanks! Added a link to your posting to the first page, as well as the hover adjustment and the gyro calibration part.

Btw, earlier in this thread it was mentioned that in 6G mode it flies just as easy as a 6 axis gyro quad. I agree, but it does still fly differently. It feels like there is more momentum, and putting the cyclic stick to zero doesn't mean a fast stop. It feels a bit like the board was programmed to already convey a bit of the feeling of flying 3G, where it will just continue in a certain direction, unless the pilot stops it, even when flying in 6G mode. It will still settle in a stable hover when you stop operating the right stick, but it doesn't teach a new pilot the habit of keeping the elevator constantly pushed hard forward to keep some speed, which has to be unlearned again when switching to 3G mode.
Oct 10, 2015, 08:23 AM
Quote:
I wonder why so little use is made of the color orange. Since I use a neon orange sharpie on the white blades of my H8 Mini quad, it is so much easier to make out orientation. Yellow and red are also very good colors. Bright green can work, but only under certain circumstances.
Yeah, Green and Blue are the two worst colors for orientation imho. Orange ftw though.
Oct 10, 2015, 04:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt
Yeah, Green and Blue are the two worst colors for orientation imho. Orange ftw though.
Bright neon green can work for props on quads, but on a heli canopy, it's different. Much then prefer red, yellow or orange.

Added some content to the first posting, and maidened the second K110. It didn't need any pitch curve adjust to be able to fly.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Oct 10, 2015 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply