Mar 07, 2016, 12:36 PM
I hope Pat does not mind...

I will be covering the build of this model through a series of video's starting in April 2016:

Philip's Models - YouTube Channel.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2016, 01:07 PM
Thread OP
Phillip,

Hey, I don't mind a bit. Anything that can be done to inform and educate the builder concerning any of the techniques required to insure success in building the kit is welcomed.

PAT
Mar 07, 2016, 02:32 PM
Thank you Pat
Mar 18, 2016, 01:17 PM
Thread OP

Getting the In-Flight Shots

Finally had the opportunity to get the in-flight shots of the T-Craft this morning. The temps were up a bit and the winds dead calm, so thought it would be a perfect time to finally get it done.

PAT
Mar 20, 2016, 10:44 AM
Lookin' good Pat!
Apr 14, 2016, 11:10 AM
Update:

I'm in the process of re-configuring my build room to accommodate better lighting and a more stable camera mount. With some luck, I'll be posting the first build video for the TC next week.

The local weather is finally co-operating so outdoor flying may start this weekend after a long winter.
May 15, 2016, 06:20 PM
It seemed to take forever to get this first build video off the ground... but here it is:

Tritle 60" Taylorcraft - Pt.1 Framing the Wings (0 min 0 sec)
May 16, 2016, 08:32 AM
Thread OP
Excellent job with the video Phillip. Anyone building the would find watching it from start to finish "time well spent".

PAT
May 16, 2016, 11:49 AM
Thank you Pat!

I have video recorded for 2 more segments, just need finish the editing: Wing Framing Pt.2 and Bowed Outlines. Stay tuned!!!
May 16, 2016, 12:02 PM
Thread OP
Phillip, You are very welcome -- and I do believe that getting the word out on how easy bowed outlines can be -- once you "learn how to do it", will be a real plus for all concerned. And really, when you get right down to it, we've all had to "learn how to do it" at some point with each and every technique we use, so adding a new one is simply one more step in the learning process that will come in handy somewhere along the way.

PAT
May 16, 2016, 12:33 PM
I built a lot of free-flight balsa and tissue planes when I was a teenager and in my twenties- and I read a lot of model plane magazines, so I knew about laminated bowed outlines, but I assumed it was a very advanced trick used by master free-flight builders. The Tiger Moth was the first time I ever saw it on a commercially available kit, and frankly I delayed building it because I was scared to try it.

Now that I have tried it, and especially in light of how nicely the tail surfaces turned out on the Moth, I am not going to build "peiced-together" outlines any more. I have a few kits on the shelf that have them; I will be modifying these to have bowed and laminated outlines. It's so much better.
May 19, 2016, 04:26 AM
Wing framing continued:

Tritle 60" Taylorcraft - Pt.2 Wing Framing (18 min 17 sec)
Last edited by philipa_240sx; May 19, 2016 at 09:36 AM.
May 19, 2016, 05:39 PM
She's a beauty Pat, love the inflight shots and the ribs being highlighted by the lighting...
You seem to have switched your covering to MicroLite. How does this compare to SoLite, AeroLite, etc.? Does it have any tricky handling bits? I have a supply of SoLite to use before I can try it...too many rolls stockpiled.

David
May 19, 2016, 06:00 PM
Airliner Builder
Very good videos Phillip, subscribed!
May 22, 2016, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGliderGuy
Very good videos Phillip, subscribed!
Thank you! The encouragement is appreciated. Please pass the word along.

Quick Reply