Sep 06, 2015, 08:01 AM
Thread OP
Bald, Phillip, Looks like you guys are confirming what Terry Dean at Dare and I talked about last week -- it appears that these 60" designs are the size that have been the most desirable in recent months. Terry said that the 60" J-3, Stinson Voyager, and Ercoupe have been doing pretty well, and the 60" multi's have also been well received as well. Looks like we'll have to keep going that direction and see what happens.

PAT
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2015, 08:27 AM
It is so nice to see ~60" designs in the wake of the UMX trend. Now, if we can get the F'Storch out to the masses.

Thanks Pat !
Sep 06, 2015, 10:17 AM
I eat glue
But if only I knew there was a 60" Fleet Canuk coming, oh I could sleep at nights!
Sep 06, 2015, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy
But if only I knew there was a 60" Fleet Canuk coming, oh I could sleep at nights!
I'd order a six pack, no joke, if skis were included in the short kit.
Sep 06, 2015, 11:41 AM
I eat glue
I found a real nice yellow/black scheme that I want to do.
Sep 06, 2015, 01:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Jiggy
It is so nice to see ~60" designs in the wake of the UMX trend. Now, if we can get the F'Storch out to the masses.

Thanks Pat !
Mo, Just a sneak preview. All I need to do is finish the "paperwork" and turn it over to Dumas. The second go-around was updated to plug-in wings with a servo for each flap and aileron. And because the original motor is no longer available, a Suppo 2217 was used so the battery mounts in a much more accessible location. And in spite of all that, it still flies GREAT!

PAT
Sep 06, 2015, 05:56 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Pat

Nice work, T Craft is looking good.

This looks to be the full span version I believe, correct? Not a fan of the clipped wing Taylorcraft or Cubs, to me they just don't look right.

As far as the 60" span designs go, I think you have hit a real sweet spot. Planes are large enough to be visible, fly great and are flyable in weather other that DFC (Dead Freaking Calm). They are also easy to build, have a modeler budget friedly equipment list in terms of motor/ ESC/battery/servos etc. and look great. The various designs of yours in this size category are some of my favorite planes to fly.

Keep at it!! Really need a Stinson L-5!!

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Last edited by Brian Allen; Feb 12, 2016 at 12:11 PM.
Oct 21, 2015, 08:46 AM
Thread OP

The T-Craft is Finished and Flown

Didn't mean to let the thread go for so long, but have been busy with a ton of regular work, trips, and other distractions. But, in spite of all that I did get the model finished up. The cowl is done in halves, joint at the middle, and the grills will be supplied in the kit.

The battery ended up mounting on the landing gear beams so access is easy through the side doors. She ended up coming in at just over 22 oz. with a 2200 2S battery.
Oct 21, 2015, 09:04 AM
Thread OP
And since then I've managed to sneak in 2 flights over the last 6 weeks between the rain, wind gust, closed flying fields, and numerous other things that kept getting in the way. In a word, it's been a very challenging last few weeks trying to get some flying in.

But the good news is that the model flies very well. As one would expect, the T-Craft is a gentle and docile flyer. I was not surprised that the ailerons exhibit a fair amount of adverse yaw, so it definitely does need a bit of rudder in the turns. I was quite surprised though at how docile the rudder was. I figure as big as it is that it would be at least "spunky", but was pleasantly surprised that even with what looked like a LOT of throw that its still not overly active. In all, the controls are well balanced and the model is really easy to fly.

I've only shot a half dozen landings now, but as with the full size T-Craft, once you're in ground effect the model wants to float, but once it touches down at 3 point there's no bouncing or other ill effects, and though the rudder is not overly active, ground handling is excellent.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a camera in sight the 2 times I did get to fly, but the regular flying site will re-open the first of November, and the first decent day we get we'll get some in-flight shots and get them posted up.

PAT
Oct 21, 2015, 07:33 PM
I eat glue
That's great news! Now you can start on the 60" Fleet Canuk!
Oct 22, 2015, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
I was not surprised that the ailerons exhibit a fair amount of adverse yaw, so it definitely does need a bit of rudder in the turns.
It was the same with the Clipped Wing T-Craft. That model really taught me how to use the left thumb . Properly co-ordinated turns can be rewarding.

Can't wait until this is released!
Oct 24, 2015, 05:19 AM
Elegant color scheme for a beautiful airplane!
Feb 12, 2016, 10:51 AM
FYI: You can now order this kit from Brodak/Dare:

http://brodak.com/electric-kits/dare...-wingspan.html

I just placed an order for mine
Feb 12, 2016, 10:14 PM
I was hoping the guy from brodak would be on here selling them in the classified section. no paypal at the brodak site.
Feb 16, 2016, 12:43 PM
The kit arrived today in the mail. I was floored it arrived so quickly, it shipped USPS Priority to Canada in 3 business days.

This is my first Brodak kit and I was pleased with what they supplied:

- Laser cut sheets (with etched part no's)
- Balsa stock
- Plastic cowl (2 piece)
- Wire for pushrods and LG
- Brass and aluminum tubing for wing attachment
- Misc hardware: Pull-pull thread for rudder, screws for cowl attachment, clear glazing/window material
- Full size plans, parts ID sheet, glazing patterns and build instructions

Well done Brodak!

And now for some photos..
Last edited by philipa_240sx; Feb 16, 2016 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply