Sep 04, 2015, 06:22 AM
Discussion

Eaze - iOS Cleanflight Configurator

It's finally on the App Store! Yes, development took waaay to long. But it's finally done. At least, for now.

Name: Download_on_the_App_Store_Badge.png
Views: 450
Size: 28.0 KB
Description:

Eaze lets you configure any flightcontroller running Cleanflight (or similar firmwares) from your iPhone or iPad. It requires a HM10 bluetooth module ($3) to work; I've written a tutorial on how to start using it here.

It is still far from completed. More features are to be added in the future, including:
  • More (all possible) configuration variables
  • GPS w/ offline maps
  • Blackbox support
  • Betaflight features support
  • BLHeli configuration

Also, in case there are other iOS developer willing to help, the GitHub repo is also finally up: www.github.com/hoiberg/eaze

Original post:

So I've begun programming an iPhone/iPad app to configure FC's running Cleanflight wirelessly. It does this using a cheap bluetooth module, the HM10 .
The communication part of the app is now almost done, so I can start implementing the various functions like PID tuning, GPS, telemetry etc..
But my question is, what features would you like to see in this app? How could an iOS app improve the experience you have flying your multi?
What I already have in mind:
  • Main screen with most important telemetry
  • PID tuning with easy backup/restore options
  • Map view (for those of you who use GPS)
  • Ability to use your iDevice as remote
  • Basic configuration
  • CLI mode (with which you can configure even unimplemented config variables)
Please share your suggestions!
PS: needless to say, it will be free and open source
Last edited by hoiberg42; Aug 31, 2016 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Beta ready
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2015, 07:09 AM
Question: would HM11 BLE module work as well?
Sep 04, 2015, 07:15 AM
Team AlienWarpSquad
Be CleanFlight VERSION Aware. This means that it will know which parameters are available by reading the version of CF installed in the FC. Example is the Soft Filter settings that are in betaFlight and 1.10 but NOT in 1.9.

Use enough significant figures for the LuxFloat PID values.

CLI mode would be nice for those parameters that are not often used and to access new parameters in beta versions of the firmware.
Sep 04, 2015, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed.m
Question: would HM11 BLE module work as well?
Hmm I think it should work (of course once set to the correct baud rate - just like the HM10).
I can't find any differences between the HM11 and the HM10 in the datasheet except the formfactor and the minimum voltage (2.5V vs 2.0V).

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltr
Be CleanFlight VERSION Aware. This means that it will know which parameters are available by reading the version of CF installed in the FC. Example is the Soft Filter settings that are in betaFlight and 1.10 but NOT in 1.9.

Use enough significant figures for the LuxFloat PID values.

CLI mode would be nice for those parameters that are not often used and to access new parameters in beta versions of the firmware.
Noted. Thank you! Though the amount of significant figures that can be sent to the flight controller are limited by the way the serial protocol works. I'll look into that.
Sep 04, 2015, 11:56 AM
Forward ever, backward never!
Subscribed. Even though I am still running MultiWii and don't have a bluetooth dongle for my FCs.
Sep 05, 2015, 01:53 PM
Thanks man for doing that , it was about time someone to try to do that , there are thousands of people using iOS and cleanflight , it is a shame not to hava an app for easy and on the go configuration , the android is far ahead keep the good work
Sep 11, 2015, 06:37 AM
Hey Guys, could someone please post a wiring diagram for the hm-11 ble module, it is a tiny piece of tech with no usb and only some soldering pins very tiny, if i solder the rx, tx, gnd and 3.3v and connect them to the naze32 should i expect that it is going to work ? how can i do the configuration and setting the different baud rates and so on , thank you in advance
Sep 11, 2015, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3v0
Hey Guys, could someone please post a wiring diagram for the hm-11 ble module, it is a tiny piece of tech with no usb and only some soldering pins very tiny, if i solder the rx, tx, gnd and 3.3v and connect them to the naze32 should i expect that it is going to work ? how can i do the configuration and setting the different baud rates and so on , thank you in advance
Here you can find the pinout for the HM11. You are right that you only have to solder wires to the TX (UART_TX), RX (UART_RX), GND and VCC (3.3V). Optionally you can also solder a small LED to pin #15, it can sometimes be handy to see the status of the module.

The configuration is done by sending AT commands (simple text commands starting with caps lock 'AT') to it thru its physical serial port. For this you need a USB to serial converter, or an Arduino board.
I have explained this in my tutorial. Skip to step 3 'Configuring the HM10' (the HM10 and HM11 run the same firmware, so it should work).
Last edited by hoiberg42; Sep 11, 2015 at 07:12 AM.
Sep 15, 2015, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoiberg42
Here you can find the pinout for the HM11. You are right that you only have to solder wires to the TX (UART_TX), RX (UART_RX), GND and VCC (3.3V). Optionally you can also solder a small LED to pin #15, it can sometimes be handy to see the status of the module.

The configuration is done by sending AT commands (simple text commands starting with caps lock 'AT') to it thru its physical serial port. For this you need a USB to serial converter, or an Arduino board.
I have explained this in my tutorial. Skip to step 3 'Configuring the HM10' (the HM10 and HM11 run the same firmware, so it should work).

Thank you so much hoiberg42 you really made my day , that was the best tutorial i read about this problem of mine, i have arduino and ftdi adapter as well , will try both methods and post the results, thanx man once again
Sep 15, 2015, 10:05 PM
use the ez-gui as a template, it works great on android with cleanflight etc
Latest blog entry: Hubsan H107D Custom FPV Setup
Sep 16, 2015, 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbound
the problem is that i don't have any android device around just ios devices
Sep 16, 2015, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Thank you so much hoiberg42 you really made my day , that was the best tutorial i read about this problem of mine, i have arduino and ftdi adapter as well , will try both methods and post the results, thanx man once again
Glad to hear my tutorial was helpfull!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbound
Yeah I don't have a Android device either and it isn't open source. But thank you for the suggestion though, I did take a look at the screenshots.
Sep 16, 2015, 02:41 PM
So here is the situation , I tried using Arduino , and ftdi adapter ( it is a genuine ftdi) serial port opens but no answer to the AT command , double even triple checked the connections , baud rate is 9600 , here is a diagram of the connection , also on hm-11 tx is pin 2 ,rx is pin 4 , vcc - pin 9 , gnd -pin12
FTDI --- BLE HM 11
TX -> RX ;
RX -> TX ;
Vcc to VCC ; my ftdi dapter outputs 3.40 Volts ,
GND to GND

I attach some photos , maybe I'm missing something

edit: I tried as hoiberg42 suggests inhis tutorial adding carriage return + line ending in case of face ble module , but same as before , no answer to AT command at all
Last edited by s3v0; Sep 16, 2015 at 02:52 PM.
Sep 17, 2015, 02:15 AM
Quote:
So here is the situation , I tried using Arduino , and ftdi adapter ( it is a genuine ftdi) serial port opens but no answer to the AT command , double even triple checked the connections
I can't find any mistakes.. Maybe you should consider soldering a LED + resistor to the LED indicator pin, so you at least know that it works.

Another (better) option to test the module is to try connecting it to my HM10 test app (link in the tutorial). I got my module to work with an iOS device even before it responded to AT commands.
Sep 17, 2015, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoiberg42
I can't find any mistakes.. Maybe you should consider soldering a LED + resistor to the LED indicator pin, so you at least know that it works.

Another (better) option to test the module is to try connecting it to my HM10 test app (link in the tutorial). I got my module to work with an iOS device even before it responded to AT commands.
update to the situation: somehow it responded to the AT commands , i managed to change the baud rate and the name of the device , but did change the baud to 57000 something and read somewhere that for naze it should be 115000 , in muiltiwii gui for ios it shows the bluetooth and connects but after that a message pops up that can not find the board and recommends to check rx, tx and other settings. Do someone knows if it is working with naze32 and which port should i have to activate the MSP one or the serial , and what baud rate to use if somehow i manage to change it again ?
LED is maybe the best idea for now just to be sure what is going on. How can i reset it to its factory defaults without a button? maybe this can help I don't know

Quick Reply