250s, QAV and others - RC Groups

Benton County R/C Aerodrome (Adair Village, Oregon, United States)

Sep 03, 2015, 07:43 PM
Discussion

250s, QAV and others

I posted this message in the CC3D Setup thread, but no recent posts have been made there, and since I don't know if I have a CC3D problem or if its something else, I thought I would post my question here too. Maybe a general 250 discussion thread could be useful for others in the group.

I'm building a QAV250, all basic components from Lumenier kit. ESCs, motors, CC3D, and receiver installed. Seems to go all the way through the GCS setup wizard without a hitch, including output calibration, motors run fine. GCS voice says it's armed. But motors won't run when throttled up; one or two of the motors only twitch. I've run through the wizard again three times, including the radio set up. Hopefully I'm making a simple mistake somewhere. Any ideas? Thanks! Robin.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2015, 10:46 PM
i dont know what the problem is( i run naze32 acro on my qav250) but ive heard that the qav250 frame preforms better and is locked in more with a naze32 acro than a cc3d setup and i know my way through the naze too which could provide some help if you get one and they are only 25 bucks from getfpv. i would highly recommend getting a naze32 acro board for your qav250.
Sep 03, 2015, 10:49 PM
LeviW got back to me under the CC3D thread while I was posting this one. I also responded to him there. Thanks.
Sep 03, 2015, 10:52 PM
oh ok but did you figure it out and what receiver are you using and what radio are you using. also what motors and esc's
Sep 03, 2015, 10:53 PM
Thanks, I'll consider changing to the NAZE if my current issues aren't resolved or if the CC3D doesn't work well on this frame. I read a similar comment somewhere while I was trying to find out what I may have done wrong with this controller.
Sep 03, 2015, 11:01 PM
Guess I've created an issue by posting the same question on two threads, never again. Hopefully LeviW will see this and we can just use this one. Futaba T8J radio and R2006GS receiver, Lumenier 2300 kv motors and Simon K ESCs came with the ARF kit. I tried the suggestion of manually calibrating the ESCs with the GCS and got strange results (see CC3D thread, too much to repeat). Thanks.
Sep 03, 2015, 11:02 PM
ok good
Sep 03, 2015, 11:41 PM
I'll just reply here to keep the whole discussion in one place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanager
Thanks for the quick reply. I checked the motor wires at the CC3D, they are in 1,2,3,4 with black (neg) on the outside, red (pos) in the middle, and white (signal) on the inside toward the middle of the controller. The motors won't spin with the radio, only twitch, doesn't seem to be any logic in which of 1 or 2 (sometimes #3) will twitch on any attempt, varies. Motors will run from the GCS, radio off. I tried your suggestion for Dave for manually calibrating the ESCs with the GCS. Each motor would run independently up to about halfway along the slider and then stop. Next time I tried it, only #s 1 and 2 would run, still stopping at halfway. If all the motors were linked, only #s 1 and 2 would run; #2 stops 1/4 way along the slider, #1 stops at halfway on the slider, #3 and #4 didn't move at all. Clear as mud right? Thanks, RB
Ok well that's something. You said it's a ARF kit for the QAV250, I'm guessing this is it?

When you went through the esc calibration process, did they respond any differently afterwards? I'm wondering if either the motor output via GCS is using a strange (maybe too low?) range, or if the calibration saved properly.

Do the motors turn easily by hand? Some kits include motor mounting bolts of different lengths so you can use thick or thin arms. Is it possible the ends of the bolts may be touching the motor coils?
Sep 04, 2015, 12:41 AM
Since the motors are acting irregularly, and I didn't take precise notes on which motor was doing what in a detailed way, I can't really say whether they behaved differently before or after the calibration, but the twitchy, start-stop character seemed to be similar either way. You found the right QAV250 ARF from GetFPV except I have the carbon fiber frame and they provided a multiple warnings to use the short screws to mount the motors to prevent contact with the motor windings, particularly since the CF frame is thinner than the G10 version. All the motors turn easily by hand and they seem to run great when running individually via the GCS.
Sep 04, 2015, 12:45 PM
Am I understanding properly, they run fine one at a time via GCS but when you link them or try running more than one at a time they start having problems?

If that's true, maybe they aren't getting enough power to run more than one at a time. If you're using a pdb maybe check the solder points to see if your battery leads are making a poor connection. What kind of battery are you using for these tests?
Sep 04, 2015, 07:03 PM
Yes, the motors run fine one at a time, but only 1/2 way up the slider on the GCS and then stop. If they are all linked, only #s 1& 2 run, and #2 stops 1/4 way up the slider, #1 stops 1/2 up the slider, even though they were all calibrated to the top of the sliders per your instructions to Dave. I've looked at the connections on the PDB from the side, but will take the bottom plate off and look closer. I've used a couple of different 3s batteries, the 1300 mAh Lumenier battery that came with the kit (35C, 70C burst), a 1300 mAh ParkZone battery, and I've tried it with my variable power supply at 12v. Thanks.
Sep 04, 2015, 07:41 PM
Took the PDB off the underside of the frame for a closer look and, although a couple of the solder joints are not as pretty as the others, they are all solidly attached, as is the power lead for the battery.
Sep 04, 2015, 09:45 PM
Puzzling, I don't know what else would cause one motor to stop when you spin up a second motor. They shouldn't affect each other.

I guess I would try to set the start and end points for the esc again. While you're doing that, pay close attention to make sure they beep properly while being set. If you can't tell because it's too noisy, you can set them one at a time using the sliders.

Also, check your output range to see if it's set to something weird in GCS. For me it's from roughly 1000-2000 us, maybe you're using a weird range by accident?
Sep 12, 2015, 04:23 PM
OK, finally found out what was wrong. In the GCS vehicle configuration I had set the ESC type to "rapid", assuming the Lumenier Simon-K flashed ESCs that came with the Getfpv QAV250 kit were that type (also all YouTube tutorials indicated "rapid" was the correct choice for the kit ESCs). Since we tried just about everything else, I decided to change the setting to standard ESCs s, just to see what would happen. Now all motors seem to be running fine and responding appropriately to control inputs. LeviW and LucWB, thanks very much for your help!
Sep 12, 2015, 09:10 PM
Can't wait to see it flying with us