Mar 06, 2016, 02:33 AM
Going back to balsa
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceansun
Hey guys, just got mine today!!! 3 days delivery from Gliders Disribution in UK!!!
Fantastic! I hope that you are having loads of fun with the little gem.

I know I am.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2016, 12:04 PM
Thanks! Will a 1300 mah batt fit or is that space super tight? Thanks again,
Mar 07, 2016, 01:42 PM
Quote:
That's something I'd like to know also as per my question in post 15.
Mar 07, 2016, 03:29 PM
Going back to balsa
Thread OP
Quote:
A 1300 mah battery fits just fine. Keep in mind that you will need to add some weight to the tail in order to get it to balance.
Mar 11, 2016, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Davy
A 1300 mah battery fits just fine. Keep in mind that you will need to add some weight to the tail in order to get it to balance.
G'day ...
Always assuming that the Funglider fuselage is almost identical to the Panda fuselage, then you can do what I did, quite successfully, with the Panda, and swap the positions of the Rx and Battery, with only a small amount of foam trimmed away on the top front of the original Rx bay inside the fuselage, to make insertion of the lipo easier.
This makes insertion of the battery a really nice push fit into this new position, and is snug enough that it does not require anything to retain it, and better yet, does not require any weight down the tail. In fact, to get the CG correctly positioned on the 'pips' on the wings about 10 gms of weight may have to be added up front. However I haven't bothered with this extra weight up front because the balance has only moved back 3mm (or 1/8" ) without it, and apparently does not make any appreciable difference to the Panda's performance, and I therefore do not reckon it would be any different with the Fun-glider either.
IMO this repositioning could be worth considering, especially as the heaviest piece of equipt is now placed far closer to the CG, and better still this renders redundant both the original positioning the heaviest equipt, i.e. the LiPo, up front, and by the same token, most definitely, the added weight would no longer be needed at the end of the long tail moment arm.
Daffy .. ..
Last edited by Little Black Duck; Mar 11, 2016 at 04:56 AM.
Mar 15, 2016, 01:54 PM
I had my maiden with the fun glider yesterday and it took me some time to find out the right settings for the ailerons to make rolls looking good and for flaps settings for landing. First I set the elevon wrong, so it looped instead of land...
Typical beginner mistake from my part!
I also thought I had it tail heavy because I somehow ended up putting all the lead in the tail with my 1000mAh LiPo up front in the nose, but it seemed right in flight.
Coming from the EasyStar this one is a blast to fly!

There was a Panda Sport to compare it to too. They seem to be nearly identical. Fun fact is that on the English multiplex page the link shown in the URL field shows Panda pro
Mar 24, 2016, 12:06 PM

Funglider slopepremiere

The Funglider is awesome.

I was getting bored with my cold and my sinus infection and asked Dan if he was flying and yes he was. I decided that it might be good to stay upright, took a painkiller, charged LiPos, packed my things, layered up with a lot of warm clothes and went.

I was first to arrive and did three flights with my Dream-Flight Alula before the others showed up, landing only to warm my hands. There was good lift but the Alula needed a lot of work to stay up. It flew best when the wind died a bit, the forecast said 5 m/s with gusts to 9 but the reality was 7 and gusts to 9, confirmed by Svennes wind meter.

I was a bit nervous about flying the FG. So I helped Dan launch his FG and it flew like a dream, now Dan is a very skilled sloper but it was clear it worked.

Next he landed, helped me launch mine and it flew very very good and I curved around. The wind died a bit and I went straight out to get some height and the FG started wobbling left, indicating lift very clearly so I did a lap and there was a huge thermal front right side of the slope, my FG went up and up.

I eventually had to dive out and took another hike up using brutal banked turns and still getting upwards. Woohoo! Awesome! Soon there was lift everywhere and could fly anywhere I wanted, needing down elevator to maintain altitude.

Meanwhile, Dan took Svennes modded Gentle Lady up and it floated around nicely. I was shaking with cold so I landed and watched the rest of the GL flight before packing up and heading home for the bed.

So about the Funglider, you might have any expectations. Dan likes lots of wind and big planes - 2,5-3,5 m gliders and I he has a 1,6-1,8m superfast glass ship but he says the FG behaves and penetrates like a bigger plane, only betraying how small it is when it wobbles and when doing "stalled out" moves like slope wingover or loops when the energy is lost. To put that into context, I've seen him whistle by from behind the slope edge and pull 3-4 loops in a row with the glass glider so that's his reference.

I on the other hand have mostly small planes; my history includes a few 2m gliders, 1.2-1,6m glow engine, the Graupner Terry, the Nano Floh, some small wings like the Toro 900 so I'm used to twitchy planes that require constant attention on the slope. The biggest glider I own is 2,5m and it still intimidates me a bit. I find the FG very "nice" and stable without being boring or slow.

I was occasionally caught out by the way it needs to be actively turned out of a banked curve but that's not a problem, more of an observation and possibly caused by me since Dan remarked on it afterwards.

No rolls or acro yet so cannot comment on that.

But in all, a superb second flight outing and so happy! This flight was also the first with the Multiplex TX/RX and it worked flawless. A few clicks of trim only.
Last edited by KristofferR; Mar 24, 2016 at 12:14 PM.
Mar 24, 2016, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Davy
My friend Dan runs a 1300 pack and it fits but he used all the ballast supplied with the kit in the tail and then he needed to tape some more on the outside.
Mar 24, 2016, 02:13 PM
Very useful information in your report KristofferR.

A friend has just bought a FG but I've not had an opportunity to see it yet.

Depending on the weather, I'm hoping that he might turn up at the club with it tomorrow .I'd really like to see it for real, and also see it fly of course, before deciding on whether to add it to my fleet.

Steve.
Mar 25, 2016, 02:24 AM
Going back to balsa
Thread OP
It is nice to read about folks having loads of fun with this super cool little airplane.

I've been itching to fly my Fun Glider again, particularly after reading the posts here, but mother nature has not been cooperative lately.
Mar 30, 2016, 01:21 PM
I went sloping today. Actually there was too little wind blowing from the wrong direction and it was raining. I still had a good time.

Multiplex Funglider Slope Soaring Light Wind (2 min 39 sec)

Blog elaborations: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1#post34396564
Apr 08, 2016, 04:52 PM
Perfect wind today on the slope. Funglider delivers the fun.

Multiplex Funglider Slope Soaring with some acro (6 min 0 sec)
Apr 26, 2016, 05:10 PM
Tip: Check the ratchet wing retention mechanism.

Today I had a nice slope visit, wind from the East close to the West Coast means lots of turbulence and the Funglider was shaken around a lot. Near the end of the flight I could see the wings bending slightly more than usual and as I landed, slightly hard, both wings fell off.

My fb Dan had the same problem (EDIT on his Funglider) before me, so check and (re)glue this part if necessary. See picture if my description is unclear.

I had great fun with the FG today and it handled the turbulent conditions perfectly well. It tracks through very hard gusts of wind. When the wind was blowing hard I felt like it would struggle to penetrate that was never the case, just a touch of up elevator and airspeed was transformed into altitude gain.

A few days ago I made a list of my RC planes for fun. About 18 so far and the FG shares the top podium with the Magnum.
Last edited by KristofferR; Apr 26, 2016 at 05:11 PM. Reason: See EDIT
May 02, 2016, 01:26 PM

Daamn...

After having so much fun with my Alula Trek flying from the dunes, I went crazy today and took out my FunGlider. I had a nice flight over the beach and the ocean, nothing crazy, no sloping as the wind blew parrallel to the coastline and not from the sea. But it was really gusty.
Then I tried the landing on top of the dune - well, I failed. It flew over a small hole in the dune, somehow the wind pressed on top of it and it fell like a stone, about 1 meter, not much. But it was enough to break one wing right at the place where the fiber bar ends. The fuselage broke right on top of the wings, but only there. I glued everything back together with UHU por, hoping that it will hold after a night of drying. I'll better stick to landing on the beach for now. At least the Alula was fine with landing in the dune and from that I managed to shoot a nice video too. Not from the crash though. Too bad ;-)
May 03, 2016, 05:08 AM
Hello.I cant find nowhere spare parts.Multiplex don't make them?

Quick Reply