Aug 25, 2017, 08:59 AM
BMFA 190658
You need either a Y lead or to programme the Tx for dual ailerons.

What transmitter do you have?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2017, 09:34 AM
If one aileron is not responding to stick input…
A few things to check. If you have a servo tester, make sure the "non working" servo is OK.
If you don't have one, unplug the working servo and plug the non working one in JUST TO CHECK if it works.
Make sure your tx is setup with channel 4 and 5 for ailerons (if your ailerons are plugged into those channels ; )
Nice to have ailerons on separate channels for differential and if you plan on using flaperons (or even adding some camber on a switch).
Aug 28, 2017, 08:17 AM
Second landing i crashed into some long grass and broke the fuselage in half. Glued it with some epoxy and hope it will be ok, Wasnt even that hard a landing.

Glider is nice to fly with the battery at the back and the battery seems to last ages. Is there a warning when its running low?
Aug 28, 2017, 11:55 AM
Get some gorilla glue. I use it on all foamies. Much better in my opinion and expands into all the foam holes. I find epoxy too brittle. In a fuse that broke in 2. I would add a little carbon fibre rod or toothpick or bamboo skewer and a little bit of gorilla glue. I put clear tape around the crack and let the glue do it's stuff. When I see a crack (or hinge line failing )I use Blenderm on foamies as well. Sticks very well and stays flexible for winter flying. Yes the CG back makes it fly much better and comes in much slower.
If you try the gorilla glue, get the white (much cleaner looking)
Last edited by camber2reflex; Aug 28, 2017 at 12:17 PM. Reason: added the white glue
Sep 06, 2017, 11:23 AM
Fully Sending It
Glues that are deemed as being safe for foam generally do not adhere well to Elapor foam, there are 2 glue recommendations we have that really adhere amazing to the Elapor and will leave you with years of trouble free flying.

Medium CA adhesives, my particular recommendation is BSI brand Insta Cure + (in the purple label). They have the most consistent batch quality and the adhesive holds up for years- make sure that you do not use the accelerator and if you do then use it sparingly.

FoamTac. This stuff is amazing, it sticks to everything and dries very quickly. You don't need a lot either, just a small bead of it, used as per the instructions, and it'll hold forever.
Sep 06, 2017, 12:00 PM
From The Lab
Also consider UHU Por. It may be hard to find in the US, but can be purchased on eBay.
Oct 04, 2017, 08:23 PM

funglider-pluses & minuses

So got this glider with high hopes coming from multiplex-sadly it is not without issues at least for me... for those considering to get it, some pointers.

First the good- it is a good flier-with good compliment of flight capabilties. Flight times are super
The construction/ design/ quality leaves much to be desired.
Quality control- Bad- on my second flight, aileron had very poor response in the air, was lucky to bring it down, turning using rudder. could not figure it out till I noticed.. the horn was pretty much undone on one of the aileron. It was just placed in there, very little glue. Then checked the other aileron- it was better but still wobbly- then had to re-glue both
Similarly, after a few flights could not get the wings to seat snugly no matter how much I pushed it together, after hearing the ratchet click thought it was good; but just slightly jostling the wings to check security, it would move side to side very easily. Puzzled again, started to check ... and found.. the entire rachet mechanism was sliding along the metal bar, meaning, it was not glued/ secured properly to the wing!! terrible. then re seated the thing and put some medium CA to secure it .. and now it is better.
Still, the wing mount is not a very good design, Give it a little bit of a tug, and the ratchet gives way and the wings come apart. Very unsettling feeling going into a flight with this sort of thing. Seems over engineered- just a couple screws would've done it- yes it is a little more effort to take apart, but would rather have secure mounts than this garbage ratchet. Thinking of putting a screw there to hold it in place.
Same problem with the horizontal stabilizer - the mounting is very wobbly, easy to tug apart. The lone plastic tooth holding it in place is just not adequate. Somehow for me this foam seems very soft, very easy to scratch and dent. If you land this plane on anything other than grass, the bottom foam is toast- wish there was wheel or something.. need to think of some tape or similar to cover the bottom. (this glider comes in hot..)
Battery space is cramped. and unnessary weight in the tail due to placing the battery in the nose- can't move it back.
Nose air flow- watch out if you land this on a sandy area/mud road you will get sand inside the battery compartment coming thorugh the spinner nose!! had to clean the inside out... makes me wonder do they even test their designs
the battery hatch in the bottom is not the best choice- gets all scratched up in landing , (if not on grass)
Check these on your purchase.. and you should be good.
Oct 05, 2017, 09:05 AM
Aedificem ergo sum
There hasn't been a whole lot of video of these posted, so I threw one together. My G/F won this in a raffle at NEAT, but she was nice enough to let me fly her plane while she shot video

Ours has held together well, and I don't see any real quality issues. A hard landing will cause the wings to loosen up on the ratchets, but if you slide it in on grass, it is fine. I only have 1000mah packs so we needed about 8g of extra tail weight (on top of the big ball) to hit the CG. I'm sure it would float better with a smaller pack and less tail weight.

Over all a...fun glider.

Mike C.

Fun with a Multiplex FunGlider (3 min 13 sec)
Oct 05, 2017, 09:36 AM
geek from Cow Pie AZ
I like the way it handles, compared to my old EasyGliderPro, EasyStar, HK Bixler 2, and ST Fox.

For TD, I prefer my 2m Electric Chrysalis.

Wish I could find an outstanding aerobatic, electric glider. The ST Fox was a dud.
Oct 05, 2017, 11:52 AM
Fully Sending It
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssan
So got this glider with high hopes coming from multiplex-sadly it is not without issues at least for me... for those considering to get it, some pointers.

First the good- it is a good flier-with good compliment of flight capabilties. Flight times are super
The construction/ design/ quality leaves much to be desired.
Quality control- Bad- on my second flight, aileron had very poor response in the air, was lucky to bring it down, turning using rudder. could not figure it out till I noticed.. the horn was pretty much undone on one of the aileron. It was just placed in there, very little glue. Then checked the other aileron- it was better but still wobbly- then had to re-glue both
Similarly, after a few flights could not get the wings to seat snugly no matter how much I pushed it together, after hearing the ratchet click thought it was good; but just slightly jostling the wings to check security, it would move side to side very easily. Puzzled again, started to check ... and found.. the entire rachet mechanism was sliding along the metal bar, meaning, it was not glued/ secured properly to the wing!! terrible. then re seated the thing and put some medium CA to secure it .. and now it is better.
Still, the wing mount is not a very good design, Give it a little bit of a tug, and the ratchet gives way and the wings come apart. Very unsettling feeling going into a flight with this sort of thing. Seems over engineered- just a couple screws would've done it- yes it is a little more effort to take apart, but would rather have secure mounts than this garbage ratchet. Thinking of putting a screw there to hold it in place.
Same problem with the horizontal stabilizer - the mounting is very wobbly, easy to tug apart. The lone plastic tooth holding it in place is just not adequate. Somehow for me this foam seems very soft, very easy to scratch and dent. If you land this plane on anything other than grass, the bottom foam is toast- wish there was wheel or something.. need to think of some tape or similar to cover the bottom. (this glider comes in hot..)
Battery space is cramped. and unnessary weight in the tail due to placing the battery in the nose- can't move it back.
Nose air flow- watch out if you land this on a sandy area/mud road you will get sand inside the battery compartment coming thorugh the spinner nose!! had to clean the inside out... makes me wonder do they even test their designs
the battery hatch in the bottom is not the best choice- gets all scratched up in landing , (if not on grass)
Check these on your purchase.. and you should be good.
Sorry to hear you've had so many problems, the FunGlider has been extremely well received in the years it has been available overseas which is why it was decided to import it here into the US- with so many satisfied customers here it's difficult to imagine why you've had so many problems. It is always a good idea to go over all of the installed components to ensure they are properly glued in place, and if not then simply apply medium viscosity CA to firmly re-seat the component permanently.

Quote:
makes me wonder do they even test their designs
Multiplex spends a lot of time developing their models before they even begin testing them. The current FunRay (due November this year in the USA) glider has been in development for a very long time coming before it was ready for announcement. Same goes for the GB Extra 330SC, or the FunCub XL, or any one of their designs. Multiplex really seems to make it a point to spend the time developing a model fully before they begin to test it, making the necessary changes along the way to ensure whatever model they push to the market is as flaw-free as can be. I don't know how long the FunGlider was in development but I can say that most of the end users really seem to like it a lot.

Of course some times you can't really account for all of the variables until the user base has the models in their hands, and sometimes manufacturing gets a little off with an individual airplane here and there but these things are to be expected. If you feel your FunGlider is flawed in some way then you are always more than welcome to contact our service department and discuss the issues with them
Oct 05, 2017, 12:00 PM
geek from Cow Pie AZ
No mfr makes perfect planes.
In some cases, you make lemonade when life hands you a lemon.

I only bought one HobbyKing glider - OMG what a lemon that one is.

The ST Fox was a bit better, but a dud.
Last edited by Zerts; Oct 05, 2017 at 04:29 PM.
Oct 05, 2017, 12:27 PM
I know what your saying about the way the tail fits together and the way the wings fit together. Its a bad design holding the wings/tail together with a little plastic latch system that seems flimsy and not a very positive fit
Oct 05, 2017, 04:23 PM
I think everything ssan mentions has been covered in this thread already.

The control horn coming unglued has happened to me a few times.

I think the latch system ”feels” flimsy and I had to glue mine but so far I had zero problems in the air, despite some very hard wind conditons. A wing fell out once after a very hard ”landing” and I’d rather have the latch give than breaking the wing.

Sorry to read you’ve been disappointed. Its kind of hard to know what to expect and we all have different backgrounds, but compared to all other (foam) manufacturers I have tried, only Graupner and Dream-Flight have been up there with Multiplex.

I am a massive fan of the Funglider; the way it flies seem to fit me and except some glue it has been utterly reliable.
Oct 14, 2017, 12:31 PM
anyone have any ideas why I always struggle to get this to pair with my transmitter, I have the ka6 transmitter and it is always a pain to pair. I can usually get the rudder, aileron and flaps to work but the motor never works???? any ideas? its a real pain in the arse
Oct 14, 2017, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevo
anyone have any ideas why I always struggle to get this to pair with my transmitter, I have the ka6 transmitter and it is always a pain to pair. I can usually get the rudder, aileron and flaps to work but the motor never works???? any ideas? its a real pain in the arse
Most likely the ESC is unhappy with the position of the throttle stick. There is a function in the ESC to prevent accidental propeller start in case the system power is switched on with the throttle stick above zero.

The term ”pair” to me is similar to ”bind”; ie getting the transmitter and receiver to communicate. If the servos move you are definitely paired/bound/binded(?).

To be sure, I suggest you connect servo(s) to your receiver output(s) and check each channel. Also ensure there are no unintentional mixes active.

Quick Reply