How do I go about cooling my Alfa FW-190? - RC Groups
Jul 07, 2004, 01:11 AM
Question

How do I go about cooling my Alfa FW-190?

Can I just cut some holes in the cowl or do I also need to cut a hole for the air to exit? How many holes should I cut and where and how big should I cut the exit hole? Also, is cutting holes in the cowling going to change how the plane flys?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 07, 2004, 10:59 AM
I have the ALPHA Corsair . In addition to the 5-6 holes in the cowling you need to have an exit hole twice as large as the total cowling holes . What I did on my Corsair was to cut a hole in the arse end of the fuselage .

regards
Last edited by jim mathis; Jul 07, 2004 at 11:01 AM.
Jul 07, 2004, 05:19 PM
"you need to have an exit hole twice as large as the total cowling holes"

That's going to make for a big exit hole is it not?

Maybe I'll just stick to my 2 cell LiPo's.
Jul 07, 2004, 05:30 PM
You still need some cooling 2 cell or 3 cell lipos ...doesn't matter . On my corsair the hole is about 3/8 " across . I'm running the mp jet 25/25-20 with 2 cell 1500 mah lipos and it still gets plenty warm . Of course if you are in a more frigid clim than Florida you might be able to get away with less cooling .
Jul 07, 2004, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mathis
You still need some cooling 2 cell or 3 cell lipos ...doesn't matter . On my corsair the hole is about 3/8 " across . I'm running the mp jet 25/25-20 with 2 cell 1500 mah lipos and it still gets plenty warm . Of course if you are in a more frigid clim than Florida you might be able to get away with less cooling .
Are the holes in the cowling going to throw off how the plane handles? I seems like all that air going in would change something.

Thanks for the help.
Jul 07, 2004, 07:50 PM
Mumbling in the corner.
You need to cut a decent sized exit hole to give the hot air someplace to go. (Other than onto RCgroups.com, I mean.)
Jul 07, 2004, 09:08 PM
The only thing it does on my corsair is make a neat whistling
sound . As I recall the japs in wwII called the corsair "whistling Death "