Air gates discussion - Page 2 - RC Groups

Benton County R/C Aerodrome (Adair Village, Oregon, United States)

Sep 10, 2015, 06:33 PM
Just saw this discussion and thought I'd post up. Ripstop won't work. It shreds instantly like the RMRC, FPVModel ripoffs and the Lumenier 2D pop gates.

One of the guys posted up a video of his RMRC gates the other day and when he hit the gate his quad tore holes at every prop leaving his quad stuck in the gate Even running GF5030's, which are puny tore the gate.

If you guys are going the DIY route I'd suggest going with something like a heavy pack cloth or something similar. We use something a bit tougher but cost is almost $30 per gate just in fabric and it's not something you can really find at the fabric store.

It can take a hit running 4S and bullnose props. I've only had two micro cuts in two gates so far with hundreds of hits and from the looks of it a sharp broken prop stub did the damage. I really heavy cordura will slice more easily but is available at most places and will hold up for a while.

Alternatively I've just posted up more gates for sale today. Looks like I've got a dozen or so left. They aren't cheap but they will last for a very long time.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2015, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackR0ck
Just saw this discussion and thought I'd post up. Ripstop won't work. It shreds instantly like the RMRC, FPVModel ripoffs and the Lumenier 2D pop gates.

One of the guys posted up a video of his RMRC gates the other day and when he hit the gate his quad tore holes at every prop leaving his quad stuck in the gate Even running GF5030's, which are puny tore the gate.

If you guys are going the DIY route I'd suggest going with something like a heavy pack cloth or something similar. We use something a bit tougher but cost is almost $30 per gate just in fabric and it's not something you can really find at the fabric store.

It can take a hit running 4S and bullnose props. I've only had two micro cuts in two gates so far with hundreds of hits and from the looks of it a sharp broken prop stub did the damage. I really heavy cordura will slice more easily but is available at most places and will hold up for a while.

Alternatively I've just posted up more gates for sale today. Looks like I've got a dozen or so left. They aren't cheap but they will last for a very long time.
I've been looking/drooling at your gates for months now. They look so awesome! Unfortunately I cant afford $130 for one gate so the RMRC gates will have to do for now. Let us know if the price ever comes down and I bet some of us would buy a few from you. Thanks for the advise and good luck with the gates, it looks like they are selling like hot cakes.
Sep 11, 2015, 01:56 AM
Yah, they aren't as cheap as I wanted them. Never figured it was going to take us a half dozen rev's to find something that worked well enough for us. I will say that they are worth the price and every one is handmade right here in our Seattle shop

We spend most of our time making ultralight gear for hikers, but the gates have been fun and I hope we can keep making them with all the cheap knockoffs out there. Only time will tell.

As for your own DIY gates you guys should try the "8oz 430d PackCloth" they've got over at Quest Outfitters. It's not as durable as what we use but it will take most hits without damage. The feel is pretty nice too and sewing with it is really nice. The PU coating will yellow over time, but not too much and it comes in white so you can see it in the goggles.
Sep 11, 2015, 02:25 AM
Thanks for chiming in with fabric tips, BlackROck. It looks like you're making the best gate out there, at least that I've seen. If price were no object we'd be all over them.

I especially appreciate the fabric tips, because as a poor college student I tend towards the DIY solutions. I expect the RMRC gates will be torn up within a couple months, so I look at the poles as a reusable resource. We saw several little holes the first day we tried the gates, and I expect our tape patches won't be a permanent solution.

I'm curious if you guys tried canvas for the gate cloth? It's not very light, pretty, and it might not age very well in the sun. But it is pretty dang tough. I guess it's heavy enough the tent poles might not be strong enough.. hm.

One thing we noticed while setting up the RMRC gates was that setup/teardown time was not insignificant. Even the pair of gates we have took a couple minutes each. I wonder if anyone has looked at using something like the spring steel they use in pop up tents? It would be cool to just throw the gate out there and have it spring into shape, then fold it away when we're done. Just a thought.
Sep 11, 2015, 12:12 PM
Canvas would definitely be tough, but it's just so heavy. With our gates the goal was to create something that was light enough you could carry them around yet tough enough it wouldn't tear anytime a quad ran into it like the RMRC gates.

We also thought about the steel pop up spring material but the problem is that the fabric you need to couple with it is just so thin it wouldn't last the day like the RMRC gates. I've already heard of a few people who've thrown their RMRC gates away after just two sessions with them. So I'd be surprised if you actually got a couple months use out of them from what I've heard.
Sep 11, 2015, 08:04 PM
Knife Edge Software
I did a bit of flying with an RMRC gate today, I and I was pleasantly surprised. Setup and teardown went a lot more smoothly, and shooting passes at speed was pretty awesome!

I must have hit the gate 8-10 times, and I never managed to cut it. I was moving at a pretty good clip (15-20mph, I'd guess) each time, so I think it must be the usual effect that small props can cut if you let them have a few whacks (slow approach), but if you're moving at speed, the tip gets stopped on the 1st or second impact.

I remain very happy for the price. I certainly don't think they're anywhere close to ideal, but they do work quite well for the price. We'll see how that holds.
Sep 14, 2015, 03:07 PM
Well I had some free time and saw a sale on local fabric, so I went ahead and made a pair of small cloth pvc gates yesterday. I underestimated the length needed for each gate, so they are only about 6' wide and 3' tall at the center. I should have paid for an extra yard of fabric, but I'll just add a 2' pvc segment to each side to raise them up.

The pack cloth BlackROck suggested looked great, but I figured I'd make a sewing or design mistake so I just used some cheaper, lightweight white canvas. I'm using pvc instead of a tent pole, but I'm curious to see if a RMRC pole will be stiff enough to hold them upright.

Anyway, I'm planning on taking them out for some test runs tomorrow (tues), is anyone free to join me? Im flexible on the site and time of day.
Sep 14, 2015, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviW
Well I had some free time and saw a sale on local fabric, so I went ahead and made a pair of small cloth pvc gates yesterday. I underestimated the length needed for each gate, so they are only about 6' wide and 3' tall at the center. I should have paid for an extra yard of fabric, but I'll just add a 2' pvc segment to each side to raise them up.

The pack cloth BlackROck suggested looked great, but I figured I'd make a sewing or design mistake so I just used some cheaper, lightweight white canvas. I'm using pvc instead of a tent pole, but I'm curious to see if a RMRC pole will be stiff enough to hold them upright.

Anyway, I'm planning on taking them out for some test runs tomorrow (tues), is anyone free to join me? Im flexible on the site and time of day.
Sweet, looking forward to checking out the new gates. I'm free around 4pm tomorrow.