Have RC helis died down? - RC Groups
Aug 28, 2015, 11:35 PM
Discussion

Have RC helis died down?

It seems like more and more I'm feeling like RC helis aren't the rage it once was. When I'm in my LHS I can't help but notice a strong emphases on quads and other types of multirotors. Is it just me? Or are fp and cp copters losing out against a much much much much much easier-to-fly multirotor?

Also I used to have a few Walkera helis... Where have all those gone? A'll I really see they have are multirotors...

Anyways I just got my blade mcp x... I'm liking it so far.... Wanting to look for something bigger in the coming months.... That's what always lead me to walkera... Couldn't bear. Their prices
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2015, 02:41 AM
Have rc helis died down?.... heli afficionados are becoming an endangered species.
Dr. McCoy foresaw what would happen to this section of the forum....
Name: bones.jpg
Views: 79
Size: 24.6 KB
Description:
Maybe the quadmania epidemic will run its course, who knows.
There may be quite a few desertions from the plank section of this hobby as well, don't know as I don't have much to do with planes these days.
Walkera sales are winding down, no helis made by them anymore. The various sellers are gradually running out and removing the listings.
Aug 29, 2015, 03:35 AM
Blade has come out with some new models . WK bailed on helis, but they are still available. Quads are red hot and forums on them are busy. The traffic has died way down on micro helis/ Mini/ large. Even planks like stated have slowed down. Maybe perk up when summer is over. Or folks moved on to other hobbies.
Aug 29, 2015, 08:33 AM
the great Gassif´er
Nope.... you are missing the big overall pic....

There once was a heli hobby, and that has existed from the start, and still exists today....
Parallel to that, there was the 3D heli hype, that came up maybe 15 years ago, and that hype is dying out....

Plenty of guys that flew 30 years ago, are still flying today. Plenty guys that started flying helies in the mean time, out of genuine interest and fascination of rotary wing aviation, will continue to do so....

Then the mass produced, good flying and affordable high performance helies became available, and, like with the skate board, the surf board, the ATB/mountainbike, en masse a lot of adrenaline junkies switched over to RC heli....
And THAT wave is moving on to the next hype....
Aug 29, 2015, 09:00 AM
Destroyer of Threads
One thing I have noticed is that RC helicopters in the past required some degree of technical ability and mechanical aptitude.

With advances in technology, now any bloke can spend $1000 and be flying a dangerous helicopter or quad.

Some never even read their manuals, as demonstrated by some of the questions asked in various forums.

The core crowd of true modelers will always remain, since they are driven by different motives.

For the true modelers, it's "Check out what I built".

For everyone else, it's "Look what I bought" or "Check out my aerial pictures".

Building, repairing and modifying aircraft never gets old for those that enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967
Plenty of guys that flew 30 years ago, are still flying today. Plenty guys that started flying helies in the mean time, out of genuine interest and fascination of rotary wing aviation, will continue to do so....
Amen to that.

I will mention that lately I have been on a RC vehicle kick. This does not mean I'm selling my helicopters.

My trucks are almost 20 years old, and I'm just installing modern electronics and upgrading the
drive lines and steering servos with metal gears so they can handle BL setups.

My kids grew up with these trucks, and they bring back some good memories.
Turning them into rocket ships might spark some renewed interest from the boys.

Did you know that they have electronic stabilization for cars and trucks now?

The new Spektrum RX's are half the size, yet includes gyroscopes to keep the vehicle stable during
high speed (60+ Mph) runs.

Hmm, wonder where that technology came from?

Skip to 1:35 to see a demonstration.

RC Offroad Spektrum AVC Testing~ Velocity RC Magazine (10 min 47 sec)

Here is the radio system I bought:
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodId=SPM4210W

Worth every penny.
Last edited by Steve_; Aug 29, 2015 at 11:53 AM.
Aug 29, 2015, 01:00 PM
Rotor Controller
The 3D heli junkies have gone to find another fix. The hobby has changed from the hours of learning and dedicated practice to "I want it ALL - and I want it NOW!!" That "quick fix" has become quads. Everyone and their grandmother are putting on video goggles and switching on their GPS. The beginning heli forum gets a dozen posts a week - and that's a busy week. The rotor forum has 1000's of posts a week. Do the arithmetic any way you want - you can be sure marketing is doing theirs. The handful of heli enthusiast is withering away - or dying away - which ever comes first. Some insists nothing will ever take the place of learning how to fly a heli. You won't get an argument from me on that statement - just an observation. I have watched this hobby evolve the last 10 years - and I have been very much part of that involvement. The technology being flown today is nothing less than amazing - and no doubt it will get a lot more amazing. How we are going to be able to control quads and airspace and avoid collisions with commercial aircraft is going to be the biggest challenge to the industry and government agencies. It is only a matter of time before a collision with a drone will bring down a commercial aircraft - or used for flying bombs - and our hobby will become more and more under scrutiny and control. What can we do to avoid that catastrophic scenario from happening is like asking how do stop a tsunami after an earthquake. I am not a pessimist - I am a realist. This kind of discussion is viable for this forum. Putting our head in the sand won't make the problem go away.
Aug 29, 2015, 02:09 PM
the great Gassif´er
If you put it like that, then there IS nothing we can do....

As far as I can see, there will Always be folks flying "classic" RC helicopters.... similar to there still being folks riding open dune buggies or riding horses or the like....

They will stay availlable, no question about that, but a big question will be: at which price?

The issue with drones as you draw the picture, that undoubtedly will happen, the only question is when.... But it will most likely only affect some regulations, it will affect the "drone hobby" (which fate was allready sealed before it even started, like a supernova: Bright, but of short duration) although drones flown for a purpose (pics/vid/survey/etc) are definitely here to stay. But it will not likely influence the "classic" heli hobby too much, that will simply return to the niche status it had before....
And if that status was enough for manufacturers like Vario from Germany to start, grow and blossom, it is most likely enough for such manufacturers to survive, even if maybe in much smaller shape than now....

Brgds, Bert
Aug 29, 2015, 03:53 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Personally i don't think there is any correlation between 3D heli flying and the rise of quads. the two disciplines are polar opposites in terms of the challenges they present.

I think quads have attracted a lot of new people into RC flying. These are people who never much were attracted to traditional RC flying but are pulled in by the aerial video capability of quads, plus the ease of use and technical 'wow factor'. The image of the 'drone' is very different to traditional RC aeroplane or heli. To the outside world traditional RC flying is sometimes seen as big kids playing with expensive toys, quads on the other hand are seen as 'cool' and in fashion.

Of course quads are fascinating things and most RC flyers have probably tried one just to see what's it's all about, but I think that goes all the way accross the spectrum of the hobby. It's certainly it's not 3D heli flyers who are migrating in their masses.
Aug 29, 2015, 07:50 PM
the great Gassif´er
No there isn't... but nobody said that....

And no, quads never attracted new people into RC flying, UNLESS you define RC flying as "something with a remote" and "something in the air".... I prefer "model flying" however...

I guess near all model pilots have tried quads at some point, but I think only a few quad flyers have tried conventional aeroplanes or helicopters, and those that did, most likely got scared because they had to pilot something that required skills... Yikes!

I too don't think 3D pilots are migrating to quads.... I think only photographers ad filmers migrate to quads

Brgds, Bert
Aug 29, 2015, 09:10 PM
GREY.riddles::{used}? hmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_
Did you know that they have electronic stabilization for cars and trucks now?

The new Spektrum RX's are half the size, yet includes gyroscopes to keep the vehicle stable during
high speed (60+ Mph) runs.
on full size trucks, we call them nannies.

I get this itch every now and then to get a quad to capture "super-duper-extra cool-oh-my" shots but then again, I think about it...well, so what, you fly around, trying to film, watching the screen with 80's picture quality umm, yeh.

Then I get this other itch...if I were to get a 700 and stretch it to 800 and build it all under $1000, now that would be sweet blade bark at a whole new level.

But then again...it's a 1,000 bucks and I already have a semi-big heli and then I have to work for a whole day to pay for that bigger heli....aah.

sorry, very tired. not making any sense.
Aug 30, 2015, 03:58 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Quote:
No there isn't... but nobody said that....
'Somebody' did:
Quote:
The 3D heli junkies have gone to find another fix.
But that someone never misses any opportunity to have a 'dig' at 3D heli flyers
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Aug 30, 2015 at 04:08 AM.
Aug 30, 2015, 07:40 AM
the great Gassif´er
He did say that, but he did not say that other fix would be quadcopters....

And whichever way you turn it, there IS a decline in the 3D thing.... It is not as "hot" as it was 5 or 10 years ago. Simply because the nature of the general spectrum of adrenalin hobbies is like that: it is an adrenalin rush rather than a genuine interest in aviation, and adrenalin rushes need to be renewed from time to time....
A 3D pilot has no real interest in aviation (or only as a side dish) but in the adrenalin. Just like a surfer or a waterskier has no genuine interest in life at sea, or skateboarders or kartracers have no genuine interest in road transportation. It is just all about the kick....

I am sincerely NOT digging or bashing 3D pilots, it is just an observation of over 30 years of RC heli flight, wondering why al those guys that tore up the skies on average left the hobby after say, 10 years or so in order to get a sportsbike, or start skydiving, or whatever, while the guys taking it a bit more slow, taking a bit more joy in the achievement of flight itself rather than the level of performance, are like me, still in the hobby and still enjoying every minute of it.

Does not make me any better than you, does not make 3D flying any less, but it is just an observation I made over all those years, and as with any "rule" there are always exemptions of course....

Whether the old Captain is having a dig at 3D, that is your thinking.... There were a lot of 3D pilots looking down on "normal" or "scale" style of flying to begin with, so I can fully understand his attitude (which does not mean I support it, but yeah, I do.... )

Whatever the case, it takes nothing off of the whole adrenalin-thing....

Brgds, Bert
Last edited by Brutus1967; Aug 30, 2015 at 07:47 AM.
Aug 30, 2015, 11:06 AM
Destroyer of Threads
Quote:
...There were a lot of 3D pilots looking down on "normal" or "scale" style of flying to begin with, so I can fully understand his attitude (which does not mean I support it, but yeah, I do.... )

Whatever the case, it takes nothing off of the whole adrenalin-thing....

Brgds, Bert
+1

There is an air of elitism among many 3D pilots.

This became painfully apparent when I started using quality 3D helicopter airframes to build
my self-leveling fixed pitch conversions. Some of the comments on my videos were beyond rude.

I don't make fun of them because they can't read a schematic or design a simple circuit.

Everyone has different skill sets.

I've worked in electrical and mechanical repair for most of my life, so I have worked with lots of different technicians.

Some guys are wizards with hydraulics, but barely know how to use a multimeter.

Others can track down a short circuit in 5 minutes in a bundle of 14 gauge wires 2 inches in diameter...
but cannot troubleshoot hydraulics to save their life.

Even though they excelled in only one or two particular fields, they had egos the size of houses, especially
the younger guys.

Then there are the guys that are good at all troubleshooting (pneumatic, hydraulic, mechanical, electrical and so on)
and the really weird part is that (on average) they seem to be the most humble and helpful of all.

Go figure.
Last edited by Steve_; Aug 30, 2015 at 12:44 PM.
Aug 30, 2015, 12:23 PM
GREY.riddles::{used}? hmm
well said, Steve
Aug 30, 2015, 03:05 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Quote:
He did say that, but he did not say that other fix would be quadcopters....
errr... yes he did

Quote:
The 3D heli junkies have gone to find another fix. The hobby has changed from the hours of learning and dedicated practice to "I want it ALL - and I want it NOW!!" That "quick fix" has become quads.