ZTW Black Widow 2204 Motor with Built in ESC, BL Heli - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 25, 2015, 06:31 PM
Is there a way to reverse the motor direction or do we need to get CW and CCW ones separately?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2015, 08:31 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncktrnl
Is there a way to reverse the motor direction or do we need to get CW and CCW ones separately?

Thanks
The CW/CCW only refers to the prop adapter thread directions. There are several ways to 'turning' direction of a brushless motor: 1) swap any two wires on the motor leads to ESC connection, 2) flash/set the ESC firmware to reverse the motor rotation, 3) In the case of the ZTW Black Widows, there is supposed to be a switch on the ESC to change the direction of rotation. I don't see this switch on my 2204 2300kv Black Widow motors, but it's shown on the motor breakout on the first post (or two) of this thread.

Warning. DO NOT reverse the power wire connection of a brushless ESC in an attempt to change the direction of rotation. Doing such will make a change in the ESC...from working to non-working.
Sep 26, 2015, 01:24 AM
"woof"
The Blue ESC is what I have used on the other ESC's, but I have not upgraded to Cleanflight 10 on mine.
Sep 26, 2015, 04:04 PM
Thank Fantasstic! Yeah I am slowly learning this stuff. I know how to do it with regular Motor and ESC setup. I didn't know how to do it for the black widow. I just got mine and I don't see a switch either. Would I have to open it up?
Sep 26, 2015, 05:12 PM
"woof"
No you do not need to open them up. You will need an Arduino board and a Female servo lead. You will need to download bL Heli suite on your PC not a Mac. I will have to make a video shortly showing how to do this. It is very easy, but you need to set the proper settings.
Sep 26, 2015, 05:21 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncktrnl
Thank Fantasstic! Yeah I am slowly learning this stuff. I know how to do it with regular Motor and ESC setup. I didn't know how to do it for the black widow. I just got mine and I don't see a switch either. Would I have to open it up?
I think the larger 41xx motor has the switch, not the smaller 2204 one. I reflashed mine using BLHeli Suite and a Turnigy Linker and set the motor rotation as needed in the settings. It's pretty easy to do.
Sep 27, 2015, 04:40 AM
So what he file did you select?
Also is 2dog going to be getting the 2206 amd 2208 versions of these engines?
M
Sep 27, 2015, 02:11 PM
"woof"
Yes,
We will be getting the 2206 version. I think this will be a great upgrade for a 4s 250-280 quad. It seems that 2208 motors are just a little big.
Sep 27, 2015, 05:32 PM
Awesome! Looking forward to the video. Also, could you post a link for the arduino board you mentioned. Are we talking about a regular arduino board or do I need any add-ons?
Sep 27, 2015, 05:57 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrock
So what he file did you select?
Also is 2dog going to be getting the 2206 amd 2208 versions of these engines?
M
Mine came with BLHeli 13.2 BlueSeries 20A flashed. I just upgraded them to BLHeli 14.1 BlueSeries 20A, I got all CW motors (will use nylon insert lock nuts for the props) and adjusted the motor rotation as needed (had to reverse the front left and right rear motors). They work great off the stock settings. Well, I do set my min/max throttle to 1052/1952, and enable Dampened Light.
Sep 27, 2015, 11:54 PM
So I just look for the BlueSeries in the BLHELI drop down menu.

2dog what's the ETA for 2206 and 2204 in your shop please..

Also if you are talking to the factory can you request longer wires please.
Needed for Anikin and Mini Tricopters..
Cheers M
Sep 28, 2015, 10:37 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:

Cheers M
When you connect to BLHeli, just do a 'READ' first to verify what's loaded. When you go to Flash BLHeli it will automatically select the firmware type that currently flashed.

I had a couple that had an error while flashing and when I tried to reflash it showed 'SimonK or some other firmware is detected...' In such a case, Yes, just find and select the BlueSeries 20A Multi file.
Sep 29, 2015, 03:59 AM
Hello, sorry for a noob question. I had a 250 size quad. May I know which version to get ? 1900 or 2000 or 2300kv ? Thank you.
Sep 29, 2015, 08:58 AM
"woof"
Quote:

Cheers M
It will be a couple of weeks.
Sep 30, 2015, 12:22 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prtheong
Hello, sorry for a noob question. I had a 250 size quad. May I know which version to get ? 1900 or 2000 or 2300kv ? Thank you.
For 5" props on 4S I'd got with 2300kv. The 2000kv would be fine too, but with less overall umph unless you step up to 6" props.