Sep 11, 2015, 06:42 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Going have to wait a couple of weeks now till the new motor come in. Got off work early yesterday and took the box out to fly and throttling up past 1/3 the motor squeals and quits. Maybe I over did it the first time or a wire is loose. It really wasn't the right motor for this plane anyways, the ones in the mail will be a better match. Oh well, now I'll have time to work on the larger one now I have several right size motors for that.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2015, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
Going have to wait a couple of weeks now till the new motor come in. Got off work early yesterday and took the box out to fly and throttling up past 1/3 the motor squeals and quits. Maybe I over did it the first time or a wire is loose. It really wasn't the right motor for this plane anyways, the ones in the mail will be a better match. Oh well, now I'll have time to work on the larger one now I have several right size motors for that.
Have you considered putting one of the big motors on with the same prop you were you using for the smaller motor? Under-propping is never a problem (only over-propping risks burning the motor).
This way you could verify all the set up details on the small version before building the larger one.
Sep 11, 2015, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuteman
Have you considered putting one of the big motors on with the same prop you were you using for the smaller motor? Under-propping is never a problem (only over-propping risks burning the motor).
This way you could verify all the set up details on the small version before building the larger one.
Thank you, yes, but I would have to add 30+ grams up front to an already heavy ( for it's size ) plane. And the motors I have available are for 500+ grams planes.....kinda big....probably larger then what you have on yours. Just want a plane, not a rocketship.
Sep 11, 2015, 08:21 AM
What kills me is the fact that I was using the recommended prop and battery for that motor, and I checked it after flight...warm, not hot. But that's what you get with a $9 motor.
Sep 11, 2015, 09:26 PM
Stole a smallish motor from one of my regular fliers (I think I can handle not flying it for a little while) just gonna use a larger battery to balance it. Dont have a good prop selection, but I think the one I have will do. Not alot of thrust but it feels like it'll get the job done. Now just need a calmish day to test it.
Sep 13, 2015, 09:44 AM
couldn't get the other motor to work, got bored and put one of the bigger ones up front.....took a couple of crashes to get the thrust angle and cg balanced but got in a couple of good flights.
Here's one I recorded.

MINI0017 (2 min 18 sec)
Sep 13, 2015, 10:13 AM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Sweeet! Very well done Timbo!
Sep 13, 2015, 10:20 AM
Quote:
couldn't get the other motor to work, got bored and put one of the bigger ones up front.....took a couple of crashes to get the thrust angle and cg balanced but got in a couple of good flights.
Here's one I recorded.

https://youtu.be/De5r5tg87eU
VERY nice! Prop up front was a nice experiment as it shows it worked out fine that way as well.
Anyway, you've clearly proven that the plane can be done at half the scale I did and still fly very well.
Looking forward to further variations on the theme from you!
I'm going to put wheels on mine at some point and try take-off/landing from a nearby asphalt lot I sometimes fly other wheeled planes fom.
Sep 13, 2015, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuteman
Looking forward to further variations on the theme from you!
Thanks Dukejet, nuteman, already thinking on other styles. I liked how stable ( after getting all the final adjustments made. Whew, alot of work, but worth it) and smooth this thing flew....and people at the park that saw it, were amazed that it flew so well.
Still waiting on the rear motor to come in and will probably have to remake the center fuse.....it took some beatings. It wasn't as strong as I thought it would be. Lost count on how many ground poundings it took before I got it all worked out.
Sep 13, 2015, 05:56 PM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Lol! "Ground Poundings" Hahahaha. ..
Yes that's one way to put it. ..."bad landings" sounds way better. .. though the one in the video, after you flew so well, was definitely a ground pounding!
Well done on the persistence you showed mate, the will to experiment and learn is why your successful.
Was fun to watch this design fly so well.
Nuteman,.... good-on-ya-mate!
Sep 13, 2015, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet
Lol! "Ground Poundings" Hahahaha. ..
Yes that's one way to put it. ..."bad landings" sounds way better. .. though the one in the video, after you flew so well, was definitely a ground pounding!
Well done on the persistence you showed mate, the will to experiment and learn is why your successful.
Was fun to watch this design fly so well.
Nuteman,.... good-on-ya-mate!
I wish now I hadn't deleted most of the bad vids, would have been good to compile a "bad landings" video to show you the abuse the plane.....and me .....had to endure to get where it is at now. I really want the motor in the rear and cant wait for it to show up at my door, I think this one will be light enough and strong enough to really have more fun with the plane without the worry of a nose slam in the dirt.
Sep 20, 2015, 03:27 AM
Finally got a chance to throw on some landing gear and try some runway operations. Tried a lighter landing gear system that seems to be holding up very well.

BoxWing Runway Takeoffs and Landings (1 min 17 sec)
Last edited by nuteman; Sep 20, 2015 at 04:01 AM.
Sep 20, 2015, 09:21 PM
Love the way it kicks up the dust on the first take off.....or does it just look like that on my end? Anyways, looks good, got pics on the setup?
Also, got my motors in for the pusher setup....ordered two just in case...lots of umph, now to wait for a calmish day to tune in the pusher setup.
Sep 20, 2015, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Love the way it kicks up the dust on the first take off.....or does it just look like that on my end? Anyways, looks good, got pics on the setup?
Also, got my motors in for the pusher setup....ordered two just in case...lots of umph, now to wait for a calmish day to tune in the pusher setup.
Yeah, by chance, there was a puddle of dust right behind the plane for the first take-off.
See the video below that explains the landing gear. The motor/prop I had on the plane already proved more than sufficient for runway take-off on asphalt, but I'm not sure how a grass field or dirt road take-off would go.
Curious to see your pusher set-up fly
Good luck!

Tips for BoxWing Landing Gear (3 min 16 sec)
Last edited by nuteman; Sep 20, 2015 at 11:10 PM.
Sep 21, 2015, 09:18 AM
That's what I thought that was. It was confusining me at first....when I think of landing gear I also think of wheels, and you would think that by now with all these different plane designs I should know better by now.
On a side note, got the mini nutebox out this morning. Had a 30 minute window with minimum winds. Still need to adjust the rear mount angle, kept nosing down on acceleration and flipping/looping with slight elevator. Alas no vid, spent too much time climbing a tree for my wife's trainer. Which is embarrassing since I put it there trimming it for her.

Quick Reply