Sep 06, 2015, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
You got know the people that don't believe are not aviation enthusiasts and only know of planes as the airliners they ride in....wings, rudder, elevator.
Yes, but even after seeing it fly??? - even though just for launch and landing - that should tell them something...
And now that they see a full-fledged video complete with loops and rolls, does that prove the basic fact that it flew in the first video any more?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2015, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuteman
See my post #29 on this thread. Also see my updated video in post #40 on this thread.
Bottom line: If the front wing is done right (enough gap between the two wings, etc.), the plane can fly great even with the front wing being the lower wing.
Yes, a wider gap between the wings would probably alleviate much of the interference. Mine didn't have much of a gap, as I only built it because I thought it looked cool, in response to timbo's comment.

Thanks for taking the opportunity to tell everyone how to do things right.
Sep 06, 2015, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmagnificado
Yes, a wider gap between the wings would probably alleviate much of the interference. Mine didn't have much of a gap, as I only built it because I thought it looked cool, in response to timbo's comment.

Thanks for taking the opportunity to tell everyone how to do things right.
You're welcome

Both of your planes are very cool and a lot prettier than mine. The video of your V1 shows it flying great. I bet you could get both your V1 and V2 to be excellent seaplanes (if they aren't already).
Sep 06, 2015, 10:18 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Quote:
You're welcome

Both of your planes are very cool and a lot prettier than mine. The video of your V1 shows it flying great. I bet you could get both your V1 and V2 to be excellent seaplanes (if they aren't already).
nuteman, do you use alot of elevator for your box? Got a couple of different sizes of horns and don't want a huge one on here if it's not needed.
Mine may be prettier than yours, but the big question is will it fly as good as yours? But now that I have most of the electrics on it, the exposed wiring has ugly it up a little. Too small to hide it all without redoing alot, and I want to finish it so I can enjoy the reason for building this.....flying.....
Sep 06, 2015, 10:34 AM
Quote:
nuteman, do you use alot of elevator for your box? Got a couple of different sizes of horns and don't want a huge one on here if it's not needed.
Mine may be prettier than yours, but the big question is will it fly as good as yours? But now that I have most of the electrics on it, the exposed wiring has ugly it up a little. Too small to hide it all without redoing alot, and I want to finish it so I can enjoy the reason for building this.....flying.....
I hope I will not be perceived as "telling everyone how to do things right" , but since you asked and I genuinely want yours to succeed:
My elevator is about 30% of the total chord of the front wing (2.5 out of 8.5). In general, it is much better to have a large surface deflect a little than a small surface deflect a lot (less chance of flow separation).

You also asked "... will it fly as good as yours?":
Smaller scale is generally more twitchy and you did KF airfoils instead of "real" airfoils - in my experience, KF tends to stall more sharply (if other factors are equal, like wing loading, etc.). You can compensate by making the smaller scale version have ridiculously light wing loading - but, of course, that's the rub - lower wing loading is almost always easier to achieve as scale increases.

Having said all that, there's no reason yours shouldn't fly reasonably well if the wing loading is reasonable, CG is correct and there are no major build asymmetries (again, smaller scale is less tolerant of build asymmetry).
Sep 07, 2015, 04:43 AM

Box wing!

....superb project, nuteman !

it looks so fragile, yet flies so well !!! thanks for the detailed videos too
Sep 07, 2015, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmblb
....superb project, nuteman !

it looks so fragile, yet flies so well !!! thanks for the detailed videos too
Thanks!
Sep 07, 2015, 01:39 PM
Did the maiden Sunday, well it flew....sorta....after about 5 adjustments of cg, motor vs lateral cg etc. etc.
I had determined while building it that the motor was ok for the wing loading and estimated weight of 150 grams. Unfortunately it came out to over 200 grams with all the bracing and crash proofing I did to it....which BTW paid off, no structural damage at all. So the little motor did not have enough power to keep it up. I do have a short video of it trying, which I'll post when I get home.
I put on another small motor that I had lying around, but I think it's for a quad....high kv....but it has some oomph now, so it should work.
Sep 07, 2015, 08:53 PM
Ok, waiting for yesterday's vid to upload on youtube, my Internet is taking forever today
Was able to take the Nutebox out for another test flight today, took off real well with the stronger motor. Flew it for about 5 mins adjusting as I went, the motor still needs to have more down thrust, was wanting to loop when giving too much throttle but otherwise flew good in about 8-10 mph winds. No vid today....forgot to check the charge on the hat cam.
Sep 07, 2015, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Did the maiden Sunday, well it flew....sorta....after about 5 adjustments of cg, motor vs lateral cg etc. etc.
I had determined while building it that the motor was ok for the wing loading and estimated weight of 150 grams. Unfortunately it came out to over 200 grams with all the bracing and crash proofing I did to it....which BTW paid off, no structural damage at all. So the little motor did not have enough power to keep it up. I do have a short video of it trying, which I'll post when I get home.
I put on another small motor that I had lying around, but I think it's for a quad....high kv....but it has some oomph now, so it should work.
Good news!
Looking forward to your next report with the stronger motor.
Sep 07, 2015, 09:12 PM
the short semi maiden vid. Couldn't get it to climb. It was really just gliding off the hand toss
boxwing (0 min 28 sec)
Sep 07, 2015, 09:22 PM
Quote:
the short semi maiden vid. Couldn't get it to climb. It was really just gliding off the hand toss
http://youtu.be/UAEifVipMYM
Your video clearly shows it will fly fine with more power.
Good work!
Looking forward to loops and rolls
Sep 07, 2015, 11:03 PM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Agee!
Was responding well to your imputs..... well done.
Sep 10, 2015, 03:08 AM
Quote:
Was able to take the Nutebox out for another test flight today, took off real well with the stronger motor. Flew it for about 5 mins adjusting as I went, the motor still needs to have more down thrust, was wanting to loop when giving too much throttle but otherwise flew good in about 8-10 mph winds. No vid today....forgot to check the charge on the hat cam.
Hi Timbo,

Got the kinks worked out?
I'd love to see a video of it with the stronger motor, if possible.
Sep 10, 2015, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Hi Timbo,

Got the kinks worked out?
I'd love to see a video of it with the stronger motor, if possible.
Hatcam is charged, motor's been shimmed for some down thrust thru the cg.....now hoping for a decent weekend to have fun and get lots of vids....good or bad

Quick Reply