Feb 09, 2017, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcins
I bought DXe and PC cable, I did some changes in PC software and now i can use it for all my models. But when I updated firmware to 1.6 I cannot use my PC cable and program on PC.

I'm disappointed and mad, I need to buy another cable for phones, but i know that many people complain that software for mobiles is not stable .

DXe is really good transmitter, but the software is really terrible now.

Maybe there will be the same situation like for HobbyKing HK-T6A and somebody will write new better app like Stefano Grassi http://www.sgr.info/usbradio/default.htm.
as much as I enjoy pointing out how incompetent spektrum is with regard to software development, testing and releasing, this was totally your fault. there is a pretty clear warning on the fw download page that it won't work with the pc app. of course that warning wasn't always there as some of us in this thread found out the hard way and pointed it out to spektrum back in august. so unless you did the upgrade in the day or two after it was released, I can't really feel sorry for you.

but I do agree with you that the dxe is physically and mechanically pretty nice. it is a good size, the gimbals are smooth, it is well built and has all the switches I would need to control what I bought it for. but it is severely let down by the people that mange and write the sw. they should all be fired.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2017, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte
as much as I enjoy pointing out how incompetent spektrum is with regard to software development, testing and releasing, this was totally your fault. there is a pretty clear warning on the fw download page that it won't work with the pc app. of course that warning wasn't always there as some of us in this thread found out the hard way and pointed it out to spektrum back in august. so unless you did the upgrade in the day or two after it was released, I can't really feel sorry for you.

but I do agree with you that the dxe is physically and mechanically pretty nice. it is a good size, the gimbals are smooth, it is well built and has all the switches I would need to control what I bought it for. but it is severely let down by the people that mange and write the sw. they should all be fired.
I'm sorry but I have to take exception with this thought process. I normally don't like to rant, but sometimes the truth just needs to be told.

I can't believe you can say it is "totally" the user's "fault", excusing Spektrum because they posted an obscure warning somewhere . I really don't think Spektrum is incompetent, as much as they are arrogant.

I also don't agree that the DXE is "physically and mechanically nice". It feels quite cheap and sloppy in my opinion, much more so than their previous generation of budget transmitters and other budget transmitters on the market. But that's a discussion for another time. Let's go back to blaming the customer instead of Spektrum for this disaster of a product.

Let's follow the user's logic....

You bought this shiny new "Point and Click Programmable" TX but you find you pretty much can't do anything with the thing without connecting it to a PC or mobile device and programming it (or at least applying one of the handful of preconfigured models offered for download).

You then find out you have to upgrade to the latest firmware before it can be programmed and you have to use the "PC Spektrum DXE Programming software" to do so even though the "PC Spektrum DXE Programming software" itself still doesn't offer any actually programming features.

But wait! First you have to go out an buy an overpriced proprietary USB cable (sold separately).

OK, you got the cable, downloaded the latest firmware and "PC Spektrum DXE Programming software", installed it on your PC and go ahead and upgrade to the latest firmware. Guess what? You just rendered your shiny new DXE completely incompatible with your "PC Spektrum DXE Programming software" (which doesn't actual program anything on the DXE anyway even if it did still work).

What? didn't you read the disclosure on some obscure web page? Don't look for the warning on the DXEs product marketing page - it doesn't say anything like that there. It just exclaims "Point and Click Programming,!!!" whatever that means.

Well at least you can program (loosely defined) the DXE with your mobile device now, right?

Oh, wait! You now need to go buy another overpriced proprietary USB cable (sold separately) to connect to your mobile device. Maybe they will let you trade in that expensive PC USB cable you bought that is now completely useless because the DXE is no longer compatible with the "PC Spektrum DXE Programming software" and your PC.

I know, I know, that's just until they release a new version of the "PC Spektrum DXE Programming software". Would that be the same "PC Spektrum DXE Programming software" that should have been available almost 2 years ago when the product first hit the market? The same "PC Spektrum DXE Programming software" that has been often promised, but never delivered, the most recent delivery date offered being last October? Yeah that doesn't really exist now does it?

Managing a group of Windows software developers, and still doing some programming of my own, I know this just isn't that difficult. Something like this could be knocked out within a couple of days, if not in a focused afternoon, for any competent programmer. Spektrum either doesn't have any of those, or they simply don't give a damn. I think it's the later and they just don't place any level of urgency or priority on this (arrogance?).

But they certainly are still marketing and selling this horrible thing to the unsuspecting, along with its overpriced USB cables (sold separately of course). This is directly from the DXE page on the Spektrum web site:

"Point and Click Programming - If you've ever managed a music library on your PC or smart phone, you can program the DXe. All you need is the free Spektrum programming app or software."

So THAAAAT'S all you need! Point and Click!, Nice! That would all be laughable if it wasn't so blatantly bogus and is obviously deceptive marketing preying on the unsuspecting new comers to the hobby. Shameful and arrogant in my opinion.

And the user is to blame?!? The only thing a user can be blamed for is making the horrible mistake of buying this abomination in the first place.

Just let all of this sink in for a moment. It's mind boggling. Doesn't it just make you want to run right out and get one of these overpriced paperweights? Or how about confidently recommending it to one of your family members or friends? Not a chance!

This is intended to be my last post on the subject. I just want to do everything I can to help others avoid making the same mistake as my friend who came to me for help with this thing. To all folks who came here via Google to research a potential purchase: This thing is terrible in design, implementation, and support and should be avoided at all costs. (Oh, and by the way, even though DSMX is backward compatible with DSM2, this implementation isn't. It's DSMX only, even if they don't make that totally clear on their marketing page).

Again, I apologize for my rant. But really Spektrum should be ashamed and should apologize to their customers.
Last edited by PRGeno; Feb 09, 2017 at 12:54 PM.
Feb 09, 2017, 01:09 PM
I agree with pretty much everything you said except this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRGeno
What? didn't you read the disclosure on some obscure web page?
The warning is posted twice directly above the button you need to click to download the new fw.

Quote:
Note: This version is not compatible with the PC Programmer. At this time, only the Android and IOS mobile applications are available to configure your settings.

Note: DO NOT REVERT TO VERSION 1.3 AFTER THIS UPDATE TO 1.6.

The DXe firmware update 1.6 is intended to be used WITH the latest advanced programming IOS and Android mobile applications. It is necessary to update the IOS or Android application AND the DXe to maintain compatibility. If you update your DXe and do not update your IOS or Android mobile application you will not be able to program your DXe using your mobile device. Note that the DXe advanced PC application is not yet complete and requires the previous version DXe firmware. DO NOT update the DXe if you currently use the PC application to program your DXe. We will notify the community when the PC application update is available.
they even display the second warning in bold font. so yeah, I think the user needs to accept responsibility for upgrading the fw when warned about the consequences. unless there is some other place to download the fw where this warning is missing or less obvious that I'm not aware of. or they upgraded their fw the day it was announced back in august, but that doesn't seem like it was the case.

I got a laugh from this line of complete bs in the fw release notes, though:

Quote:
All updates have been extensively tested by our internal and external test teams prior to public release.
ha!

as for the feel of the tx, that is personal. for $55 (what I paid for mine almost a year ago, with a cable btw) there was nothing available close to that price that is as well built. I still think that is true now. the q x7 should be better but costs 2x. the only other budget spek tx I have is the one that comes with the inductrix (dx4 I think) and there is no comparison. the dxe is way better.
Feb 09, 2017, 01:50 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
It is really hard for me to comprehend why HH isn't taking more of a proactive stance on the issues with their software/firmware with the DXe . Customers are still getting caught up in this whole debacle . How come they can't give us some reassurances that the problem is going to be fixed and in a timely manner (aka expected deadline of the resolutions). Maybe then we could see some closure to this and move on.

I don't think they realize that this leaves a very bad taste in people's mouths that doesn't go away very quickly. To give an example, I haven't bought any HH products since I got my DXe over a year ago. And on top of that, I don't recommend ANY of their products to my friends and fellow pilots either. Why would I want to recommend them after the troubled experiences that I and others continue to have with them?

How does the saying go... take care of the customer and the customer will take care of you

Kman
Feb 09, 2017, 02:33 PM
Quote:
I agree with pretty much everything you said except this:

The warning is posted twice directly above the button you need to click to download the new fw.
Correct, but the warning wasn't there at the moment they made the v1.6 firmware available.
I think the posted the warning after the complains started.
I upgraded the firmware before the warning and I only have the PC app (and PC-USB cable) and a Windows phone. So I can't do anything with it anymore.
I can't even switch models anymore, which I dislike most. Luckily I also bought a DX8G2 so I don't really need the DXe anymore. I would give the DXe to my son, so he could start learning to fly the 2 small drones I have left, but I can't because the Blade 230s helicopter program is loaded in the TX at the moment.

I wasn't too worried in the beginning when the problem with the DXe started, thinking the updated PC app would be released soon after the firmware update. But to my humble opinion it's taking a little bit too long now. (almost 6 months).
If there isn't coming a updated app at all, please let us know and make a firmware v1.7 or something which is the same as v1.3, so I can use it at least as I was used too (since we can't reverse to v1.3)
Last edited by HUEYCOBRA72; Feb 09, 2017 at 03:17 PM.
Feb 09, 2017, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUEYCOBRA72
Correct, but the warning wasn't there at the moment the made the v1.6 firmware available.
I think the posted the warning after the complains started.
correct. the warning was added a day or two after users like you and me found out the hard way it wasn't compatible and posted about it here. that's why I stated that unless marcins upgraded their tx back in august before the warning was added (and it doesn't sound like this was the case), then he is to blame.

it also shows that spektrum didn't do any basic testing despite what they posted in the release notes.

the whole thing is pathetic. there is no reason for the pc software not be be updated by now.
Feb 09, 2017, 03:31 PM
Quote:

the whole thing is pathetic. there is no reason for the pc software not be be updated by now.
...or give us at least some information.
The only information in this thread is that all apps are being updated at the moment
and this document
http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/Spek...structions.pdf
Quote:
"Advanced version of the Spektrum DXe programming (PC Software) not yet released. Only the basic version is currently available. Estimated release date is 9/2/16"
Feb 09, 2017, 05:57 PM
Is it summer yet?
So, what other txs are better in this price range that will works with Spektrum receivers? Say, up to a hundred bucks new. Must be lots since there are so many comments indicated that
Feb 09, 2017, 06:20 PM

Import preset model files into the app?

Sorry if this had been covered already and I just can't find the answer, but I cannot figure out how to import (if that's the proper term) a preset model file from the spektrum web site into the android app to load into the transmitter. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Feb 09, 2017, 06:33 PM
it is a bit irritating that you have to update the firmware via PC (so that you can access your DXe via smartphone or tablet with the audio cable) with a usb cable THEN you can no longer use the PC to program your dxe.
now you have to go buy an audio cable and you can use your smartphone or tablet. Unless you are lucky enough to have a smart phone or tablet that works with the USB, you have to buy 2 cables to keep your DXe functional.
That is really bad planning.

personally I don't care if i can program on the PC since I never take my pc to the field but I did need to upgrade the firmware so I could use it with my android and the audio cable.

the only saving aspect of all this is with AS3x rx's you want these two cables anyway
Feb 09, 2017, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouda
So, what other txs are better in this price range that will works with Spektrum receivers? Say, up to a hundred bucks new. Must be lots since there are so many comments indicated that

First, you have to define what "works with Spektrum receivers" means. The DXE doesn't really fully fit the definition as it is not compatible with Spektrum DSM2 receivers. Even though DSMX is touted to be backward compatible with DSM2 Spektrum chose, for whatever reason, to artificially crippled the DXE by only supporting DSMX. That alone should discourage folks from wanting to purchase it.

Therefore if you really want an affordable, fully compatible, Spektrum transmitter for under $100 you should look elsewhere anyway. This is a Spektrum DXE thread so I don't think it's appropriate to name other brand options, but just know they are out there.

So staying with Spektrum my recommendation to folks new to the hobby is to buy a used TX first. That allows you to learn about the hobby and see if it really is for you before spending (or in the DXEs case - wasting) a lot of money. You'll learn what is available, what you want in a transmitter, what you want with your on board receivers and telemetry options. Try different things before making a decision on larger investment in a transmitter that will be your foundation that you'll want for the long term.

For full Spektrum RX compatibility I would recommend getting a nice, clean, used, later model, DX6i that supports both DSM2 and DSMX. They are out there and can be had for less money than a DXE. The DX6i is far more capable and compatible (and in my opinion feels and works better). Oh, and a DX6i can even be programmed directly, without cables, computers, buggy software and the rest. Oh, and the DX6i even holds more than one model on board at a time without having to import them from your phone. How nice and convenient is that?

Save money now and then if/when you decide the hobby really is for you, you have options without having wasted your money. You can then either upgrade to a higher end Spektrum, or for more flexibility you could expand your view to include other brands and protocols. If you go the other brands and protocols route you might be able to extract the RX module out of DX6i and use it make an external module for your new higher end transmitter. That would give you access to controlling all kinds of different models with different protocols, including DSM2/DSMX, all within the same transmitter. Then you can still use the DX6i carcass as a controller for PC simulators if you wish. Nothing thrown away and no money wasted.

As someone here said in trying to justify the DXE, it's just a cheap throw away. Why would anyone want to waste their money on a throw away when it just isn't necessary. The DXE is not only a throw away, it's a flat out mistake (for Spektrum as well as anyone who gets sucked into buying the thing).

There are just so many better ways to go.
Feb 09, 2017, 10:52 PM
Is it summer yet?
I guess I will make my own decision. That usually works out better anyway.
Feb 10, 2017, 01:05 AM
youtube.com/ShadowVFX
I have a friend who wants to get into the hobby. I was looking at a few RTF packages that come with the DXE. From what I can tell, this is a nice packaged radio, however, I'm now hearing things about it being gimpy compared to the "real" DXE. Can anyone elaborate on this for me? I'd like to know what the differences are, if any, and what limitations my buddy might have if he did pick up an RTF package with the included DXE.
Feb 10, 2017, 02:53 AM
Hello

I updated firmware in my DXe to 1.6 and connected with USB cable + OTG cable to my Android phone Samsung J3 and it seems working. But there is sometimes incorrect communications like blinking all time Transfer Completed or freeze Reading configuration from transmitter but configuration was loaded. Strange but it is working and i can configure my DXe via Android. I cannot find subtrims or maybe there is no this feature ?.
Feb 10, 2017, 08:15 AM
Up! Up! And Away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suko
I have a friend who wants to get into the hobby. I was looking at a few RTF packages that come with the DXE. From what I can tell, this is a nice packaged radio, however, I'm now hearing things about it being gimpy compared to the "real" DXE. Can anyone elaborate on this for me? I'd like to know what the differences are, if any, and what limitations my buddy might have if he did pick up an RTF package with the included DXE.
Should work fine with that plane - & probably other BNFs. Last one I looked at had a couple fewer switches (wireless button/ function and another deleted with blank cover in it's place).

Biggest question will be whether it can be firmware updated - IIRC, Andy has posted the difference cannot be seen or determined until the TX is connected in order to see if it can be updated.

Quick Reply