Spektrum DXe - RC Groups
Aug 27, 2015, 04:52 AM
New Product

Spektrum DXe

So a new Spektrum radio, then? Just saw that on Facebook, SpektrumRC hasn't even listed it yet but its on preorder on Horizon Hobby.

Spektrum DXe Transmitter System with AR610 Receiver

Key Features

Sport radio simplicity + programmable versatility
Programmed via mobile device or PC
Ideal for Bind-N-Fly aircraft
Four control surface channels
3-Position flap switch
2-Position auxiliary function switch
3-position AS3X/SAFE flight mode switch
Requires free programming app or software
Requires SPMA3081 or SPMA3065 programming cable, sold separately
EN328 compatible

Overview

The Spektrum™ DXe combines the versatility of a programmable transmitter with the simplicity of a basic sport radio to give cost-conscious pilots a better choice when it comes to flying on a budget. Instead of having to reconfigure a bank of servo-reversing and wing-type switches every time you want to fly a different model, the DXe lets you instantly change those settings using a mobile device or PC.

Point and Click Programming

If you've ever managed a music library on your PC or smart phone, you can program the DXe. All you need is the free Spektrum programming app or software and a Spektrum programming cable (sold separately). Using this interface you can create and save basic model setups with different settings for:

Servo Reversing
Stick Configuration: Mode 1-4
Wing Type: Normal or Delta/Elevon
Expo: On or Off

Once saved to your PC or mobile device, you can upload the setup for a specific model to the DXe with a simple point and click. You can also use the interface to upload pre-programmed setups for Bind-N-Fly® aircraft.

The Spektrum programming app is available at Google Play and iTunes app stores. The PC software can be downloaded from spektrumrc.com.

More than Meets the Eye

While the DXe looks and functions like a basic 6-channel transmitter out of the box, it gives pilots the control functions they need to fly a wide variety of Bind-N-Fly aircraft using pre-programmed setups. Functions include:

Four Control Surface Channels
3-Position Flap Switch
2-Position Auxiliary Function Switch
3-Position Flight Mode Switch for AS3X/SAFE-Equipped Aircraft
Bind/Panic/Return Home Button for SAFE-Equipped Aircraft
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2015, 06:27 AM
Perpetual Noob

RTF Replacement?

Interesting product.

I can see it replacing the RTF transmitters in some products but one drawback would be using the same unit with multiple flyers. It would require you to drag a PC to the field to change the programming to switch flyers.

I could see a Bluetooth interface (if the unit doesn't already have one) allowing different configurations to be sent from a smartphone or other device rather than requiring a cable. It definitely looks like a great replacement for the DX4 and DX5 series.
Aug 27, 2015, 06:44 AM
It does say in the description that theres an Android and iPhone app available, which does not require a cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcl
[...]
Programmed via mobile device or PC
[...]
Requires free programming app or software
[...]
Instead of having to reconfigure a bank of servo-reversing and wing-type switches every time you want to fly a different model, the DXe lets you instantly change those settings using a mobile device or PC.
[...]
If you've ever managed a music library on your PC or smart phone, you can program the DXe. All you need is the free Spektrum programming app or software and a Spektrum programming cable (sold separately).
[...]
Once saved to your PC or mobile device, you can upload the setup for a specific model to the DXe with a simple point and click.
[...]
The Spektrum programming app is available at Google Play and iTunes app stores.
[...]
Aug 27, 2015, 06:55 AM
Need less hobbies, more toys

Spektrum DXe

Very nice Spektrum! If this becomes the new RTF radio for the more expensive RTF packages that would rock!

Either way this presents an interesting option for those not wanting to spend $200 yet on a DX6.

So I wonder if this replaces the DX6i?

You can even get it without the RX for even cheaper. Nice!
Last edited by DaddyBigas; Aug 27, 2015 at 07:02 AM.
Aug 27, 2015, 08:03 AM
Nice move Spektrum!
It arrives just in time to replace the one that I use with the simulators!
Aug 27, 2015, 09:08 AM
S.A.D. member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyBigas
Very nice Spektrum! If this becomes the new RTF radio for the more expensive RTF packages that would rock!

Either way this presents an interesting option for those not wanting to spend $200 yet on a DX6.

So I wonder if this replaces the DX6i?

You can even get it without the RX for even cheaper. Nice!
It should replace the DX4e and DX5e not the DX6i.

The DX6i is replaced by the new DX6.
Aug 27, 2015, 09:31 AM
There are a couple errors on the specs page. I'm letting them know so they can sort it out.

Ivan's right - it gets rid of the ancient DX5e/DX4e radios and replaces them with one design that has more capability.

Andy
Aug 27, 2015, 09:57 AM
From what I see-- TheDXE is a step into the not too distant future (MST3K?)
The programming is ALL done remotely .
The operator has the switches necessary and the sticks of course, BUT the programming is dedicated for a particular model.
For the guy who wants to fly but doesn't care to do programming setups -it's just the ticket
I bet the basic concept gets expanded .
Aug 27, 2015, 10:36 AM
Need less hobbies, more toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
From what I see-- TheDXE is a step into the not too distant future (MST3K?)
The programming is ALL done remotely .
The operator has the switches necessary and the sticks of course, BUT the programming is dedicated for a particular model.
For the guy who wants to fly but doesn't care to do programming setups -it's just the ticket
I bet the basic concept gets expanded .
Agreed. Use your phone to scan a QR code on the plane's box and the app automatically programs the TX.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:54 PM
It seems to use the same awkward audio interface for communication... no bluetooth... or simpler USB interface. need a special cable for both phone or PC interface.
Last edited by eihoward; Apr 01, 2016 at 08:15 AM.
Aug 27, 2015, 01:09 PM
Here to just enjoy the hobby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
There are a couple errors on the specs page. I'm letting them know so they can sort it out.

Ivan's right - it gets rid of the ancient DX5e/DX4e radios and replaces them with one design that has more capability.

Andy
But when people would ask me what it might cost to get a basic RC plane and radio combo it didn't seem so bad to say you can get a DX5e for $60.
Now I will have to say the cheapest is $90.
Aug 27, 2015, 01:09 PM
I've always thought it would be great to be able to program through a pc interface. Just wondering if expo is really on / off. Anyway, I agree. Nice move and I see more of this in the future. Programming the radio has always been drudgery for me.
Aug 27, 2015, 01:14 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
so simple even someone with a birdbrain can do it

sorry I just had to..
Aug 27, 2015, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbrain
I've always thought it would be great to be able to program through a pc interface. Just wondering if expo is really on / off. Anyway, I agree. Nice move and I see more of this in the future. Programming the radio has always been drudgery for me.
The expo is a fixed value (I forget what) and yes, it's either on or off.

It works the same way as in the DX4e/5e in that regard.

Andy
Aug 27, 2015, 01:59 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
The fixed value IIRC on the DX5e was 70-75%