Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 21, 2016, 11:35 AM
SVTHotchkiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalaman
Thanks for the reply. Yes I saw your post but I was wondering, what does adjusting the pitch, roll and yaw settings actually do? Will adjusting these values help our 2d and loiter modes or not, that is my question.
Well technically adjusting these values will make 2d and loiter better. The only way to properly tune the gyros in the flight controller is to do this in 3D mode, where the accelerometers are switched off.

If you turn your knob on for pitch, roll or yaw it will work as a multiplier for the PID values in the advanced section. This isn't a very effective way to tune the craft though, because you want to tune in Proportional, Integral and Derivative for each axis individually as described in this tuning tutorial. Using the knob will increase/decrease all three together as you adjust the knob.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2016, 05:53 PM
Retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTHotchkiss
Well technically adjusting these values will make 2d and loiter better. The only way to properly tune the gyros in the flight controller is to do this in 3D mode, where the accelerometers are switched off.

If you turn your knob on for pitch, roll or yaw it will work as a multiplier for the PID values in the advanced section. This isn't a very effective way to tune the craft though, because you want to tune in Proportional, Integral and Derivative for each axis individually as described in this tuning tutorial. Using the knob will increase/decrease all three together as you adjust the knob.
Now that makes sense to me. Thank you. I guess I'll just fly it as is and hope for the best.

When I get a little more comfortable flying I will again try to calibrate as per this article.
Jul 16, 2016, 07:18 PM

HELP!!!! Eagle Tree Vector on board TBS Disco

Have a look at the video. The folks at ET seem to thing this is happening because the quad is on the bench not in the air. I stand behind their support just trying to find out if anyone else had an issue like this. The support team at ET pointed me towards my power system. First six month with this was great then this.
Confussed and hopeful

https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApWlw7GJCzF0gh-wWJC4lZ3Etu0P
Last edited by Transtrash; Nov 23, 2016 at 08:34 PM.
Jul 17, 2016, 12:20 AM
DroneWorlds - TEAM NEW ZEALAND
Oh course its throwing errors, its trying to fly but cant.

Youre asking it to do something, its trying to do it and detects its its not working, so it disarms.

Put props on

Dont feel too bad, I helped a mate out the other day who was wondering why his motors kept spooling up to full throttle, while it was in alt hold with no props
Dec 31, 2016, 12:23 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Looks like a good tutorial on page 1. I'm finishing up a TBS Discovery w/ Vector build and may be maiden'ing it tomorrow. I will definitely refer to the tutorial for that.

I'm sure I will have more questions, but I've got two for now...

1) For multirotors, is there any difference between modes "Not used" and "3DH"? For normal (rate) flying, I wanted to know which I should use. I can just leave one position of my mode switch as "Not Used". Or I can set it to 3DH. But didn't know if there was a difference or not.

2) When I was running through the Rx wizard the first time, I forgot to connect my RSSI line. It somehow still detected when the Tx was powered on or off. How did it know this? Also, later I correctly plugged in the analog RSSI line but didn't rerun the wizard. Can I be assured that it is reading that correctly? Or is it still using some other method to detect Tx signal? I'm running a DragonLink V3 system, and have the micro receiver outputting S.Bus (connected to Ail input on Vector), and analog RSSI is now also connected to Vector on it's RSSI input.
Jan 02, 2017, 09:27 AM
1) For multirotors, is there any difference between modes "Not used" and "3DH"? For normal (rate) flying, I wanted to know which I should use. I can just leave one position of my mode switch as "Not Used". Or I can set it to 3DH. But didn't know if there was a difference or not.

No, they are not the same. Not Used means nothing is selected. It will either remain in the last used mode or switch to your default mode.

2) When I was running through the Rx wizard the first time, I forgot to connect my RSSI line. It somehow still detected when the Tx was powered on or off. How did it know this? Also, later I correctly plugged in the analog RSSI line but didn't rerun the wizard. Can I be assured that it is reading that correctly? Or is it still using some other method to detect Tx signal? I'm running a DragonLink V3 system, and have the micro receiver outputting S.Bus (connected to Ail input on Vector), and analog RSSI is now also connected to Vector on it's RSSI input.

It does not detect whether or not the TX is on via RSSI. It uses your failsafe positions to detect when the TX is off. The RSSI signal is only used for the OSD display or your RSSI

Regards, John
Jan 02, 2017, 07:55 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnET
1) No, they are not the same. Not Used means nothing is selected. It will either remain in the last used mode or switch to your default mode.
So it sounds like I should select 3DH then (which is what I had selected for "normal" flying mode). Or just make sure 3DH is my "default" mode.

Quote:
It does not detect whether or not the TX is on via RSSI. It uses your failsafe positions to detect when the TX is off. The RSSI signal is only used for the OSD display or your RSSI

Regards, John
So it looks at all of the control positions to determine if it's in fail safe? What if I update my failsafe positions (even slightly). Will it still know it's in failsafe? Do I need to rerun the Rx wizard?

Also just thought I'd mention I flew yesterday for the first time with the Vector. Everything went great. I have not adjusted any of the PID tuning yet. But it seemed to fly pretty good with the factory gain settings. I'd like it to be a little snappier. But I'm sure some tuning will get it there.

The OSD is awesome. I love being able to customize all of the parameters that are displayed. Is there a way to trigger the OSD screens from the transmitter? I would like to set up one screen that has minimal info for general flying (reduced distractions), and then another screen if I want to see full details. And be able to trigger that manually.

Oh, one problem I did have was with the magnetometer not working correctly. I did not have it mounted on the mast and the sensor is mounted just above the flight pack. Was hoping I wouldn't need the mast (adds weight, looks a bit funny). But I want it to work correctly. So I've installed the mast. As soon as it stops raining, I'll recalibrate and do another flight.

Thanks for the info!
Jan 03, 2017, 08:06 AM
Yes, if you change any failsafe settings or change any trim, regardless of how slight, re-run the RX Wizard.

Regards, John
Jan 04, 2017, 05:33 PM
I'll fly anything...
Hey all. I've been scratch-building multis for ever but this is my first Eagle Tree Vector build.

820mm (M-to-M) tricopter, 2Kg with 4S5000 pack. It folds so travel is easy. I like the larger purely for aiding the eye-site, even though my eyes are good. So easy to out-fly the eyes when you fly visual-only.
No gimbal yet... 10" props at the moment but I'll run 12 or 13s once I have the payload sorted.

I have seen lots of small machines and the PIDs but I'm battling this bigger machine with my settings. I'm going through the PID setup from scratch but even with the inners zero'd, I have a very wobbly / unstable copter with the Proportional set anywhere from 30-200.

Can someone with a larger machine than a 600 post what PIDs they have for a locked-in photography copter (not racer) - just so I get an idea with what setting should work? I don't appear to have vibration issues.

Thanks a heap, Pete
Last edited by Efliernz; Jan 04, 2017 at 06:03 PM.
Jan 25, 2017, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer729
This is one of the best pid tuning tutorials I have ever read. Really good job!
worked like a charm on my brand new micro vector. Thanks