This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 26, 2016, 02:46 PM

OneShot Question + Motor Spin

First things first, thanks to the OP for posting this super helpful tutorial!

I'm a bit of a newb so please bear with me. I've been heavily researching things, reading forums, watching videos, and speaking to local FPV community. I've been working on a mini hex build using the Eagle Tree Vector since last summer and for many reasons ended up getting super delayed.

Regarding my setup, I have:
  • Six Cobra 2204 1960kv Motors (connected directly to a PDB which connects right to the current sensor).
  • Six Dys 20A BL Heli ESCs that I'm assuming are V1's (purchased last June). I was told when I purchased these that they support OneShot125 and was under the impression this is supported natively through the ESCs.

Yesterday I was finally able to power everything up, sent signals to the motors to verify they were mapped properly. I then started to read this guide and have a few minor questions.
  1. Motor Spin Orientation - I will verify this later today, but assuming I select the correct airframe, then should the Vector handle the proper motor spin direction/orientations automatically? Do I need to take any additional actions such as trying to connect to USB programmer and BL Heli software?
  2. OneShot125 Support - As I noted above, my ESCs should have OneShot125 enabled (which is what I was told when purchasing them). I spoke to the guy I bought them from (brand new) and asked him if I need to enable anything specifically within the ESC firmware. He responded saying that "OneShot is a protocol from the FC. If the ESC can handle it, there isn't anything to do on the ESC". [INDENT]
    However, after speaking to my friend who has the same ESCs but is using the Naze FC, he said he had to use the BL Heli Software/programmer to enable some kind of dampening option on the ESCs. Therefore I'm not sure how to tell if I need to do anything special outside of enabling OneShot option on the Vector, or if I must individually program each ESC to support this.
    If my ESCs technically do support OneShot but are not enabled within the ESC, but I enable this on the Vector, would my hex basically fly erratically letting me know to disable it, or could it cause far worse damage in a light flight test? If that's the case, I'll just turn it off on the Vector and have to live without OneShot for now

Thanks so much for your support!
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2016, 02:55 PM
SVTHotchkiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnET
Hello,

The tuning procedure for a larger frame is the same as described in this tutorial.

Regards, John
That being said, can Steps 1 - 3 be done in 2D mode on larger frames?

I have a couple large quads I am tuning the Vector on, and never intend on flying them in 3DH mode.
May 27, 2016, 08:41 AM
Motor Spin Orientation - I will verify this later today, but assuming I select the correct airframe, then should the Vector handle the proper motor spin direction/orientations automatically? Do I need to take any additional actions such as trying to connect to USB programmer and BL Heli software?

No! Do not attempt to fly until you understand this and verified the correct direction! The flight controller has no way of knowing which direction the motor is spinning and can not make them change directions! You need to use the motor tester in the stick menu with props off and verify that each motor is spinning the correct way. If the motors don't spin with the motor tester, you can try arming (props OFF!) to verify the motor directions.

OneShot125 Support - As I noted above, my ESCs should have OneShot125 enabled (which is what I was told when purchasing them). I spoke to the guy I bought them from (brand new) and asked him if I need to enable anything specifically within the ESC firmware. He responded saying that "OneShot is a protocol from the FC. If the ESC can handle it, there isn't anything to do on the ESC".

Yes the Vector needs to be set to oneshot mode (Advanced Flight Controller Setup tab). Note, You must be running at least version 11.84 of the software. If you are using our latest beta it has it.

A bit more info. Most, if not all oneshot ESCs are able to be programmed from a computer. This allows you to make sure that oneshot is enabled and allows you to change motor directions. Also, you need to make sure your ESC end points are calibrated. This can be done in the BLHeli software as well.

Unfortunately that is about as deep I can get into the BLHeli setup. I recommend that you find an experienced user near you to give you a hand and help you understand the additional aspects.

Regards, John
May 27, 2016, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Motor Spin Orientation - I will verify this later today, but assuming I select the correct airframe, then should the Vector handle the proper motor spin direction/orientations automatically? Do I need to take any additional actions such as trying to connect to USB programmer and BL Heli software?

No! Do not attempt to fly until you understand this and verified the correct direction! The flight controller has no way of knowing which direction the motor is spinning and can not make them change directions! You need to use the motor tester in the stick menu with props off and verify that each motor is spinning the correct way. If the motors don't spin with the motor tester, you can try arming (props OFF!) to verify the motor directions.

OneShot125 Support - As I noted above, my ESCs should have OneShot125 enabled (which is what I was told when purchasing them). I spoke to the guy I bought them from (brand new) and asked him if I need to enable anything specifically within the ESC firmware. He responded saying that "OneShot is a protocol from the FC. If the ESC can handle it, there isn't anything to do on the ESC".

Yes the Vector needs to be set to oneshot mode (Advanced Flight Controller Setup tab). Note, You must be running at least version 11.84 of the software. If you are using our latest beta it has it.

A bit more info. Most, if not all oneshot ESCs are able to be programmed from a computer. This allows you to make sure that oneshot is enabled and allows you to change motor directions. Also, you need to make sure your ESC end points are calibrated. This can be done in the BLHeli software as well.

Unfortunately that is about as deep I can get into the BLHeli setup. I recommend that you find an experienced user near you to give you a hand and help you understand the additional aspects.

Regards, John
Thanks so much has for your quick and detailed response John! This is extremely helpful to me and I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to respond! I'm getting close, so no sense in doing something potentially stupid or harmful if it can all be prevented
May 29, 2016, 09:05 AM
SVTHotchkiss
billpa, I was curious if the steps 1-3 from your tuning guide could be done in 2D mode instead of 3d mode.

Thanks
May 30, 2016, 10:42 AM
Hello,

Not until step 4. When you are in 2d mode the accelerators are in use and will not allow you to tune the gyros in steps 1-3.

Regards, John
May 30, 2016, 11:11 AM
SVTHotchkiss
Quote:
Hello,

Not until step 4. When you are in 2d mode the accelerators are in use and will not allow you to tune the gyros in steps 1-3.

Regards, John
Thanks John, much appreciated!

This is a bit scary now trying to fly a big frame in 3DH... I'll find some long grass to do this over haha
May 31, 2016, 04:33 PM
SVTHotchkiss
Billpa.. Thanks so much for posting this tuning tutorial!! I have a Vector installed on a Turboace Matrix-I (725mm motor to motor frame, so slightly oversized for Vector) and I didn't have it tuned well at all before I followed this tutorial.. Now it flies like a dream!!

Thanks again John for telling me to tune the inner PIDS in 3DH! Now I have a 999mm sized version of this Matrix with 288kv motors and 18 inch props.. Hopefully that frame tunes as nicely as the Matrix-I!

JohnET, I think you guys could set the max frame size a little bigger in the user manual now.
Jun 17, 2016, 10:07 AM
Florida
A big thanks to all of the input everyone has made.

Got the Vector up and running on my S500 quad. 2D works great. 3D drifts quite a bit even with 10+ sats. One waypoint flight so far. The first waypoint flight aborted cause it took off in an unexpected direction but on the second attempt it was perfect. Nothing fancy but just as I had planned.

Thanks again for everyone's input and Vector for making a great FC and soo easy windows GUI.

Looking forward to putting this into a fixed wing!
Jun 17, 2016, 10:23 AM
Hello,

3d mode isn't supposed to hold position. It does not use GPS at all. See section "5.10.1 Flight Mode Description" on page 40 of the manual fro details.

Regards, John
Jun 18, 2016, 01:54 AM
Florida
John, you are correct. I meant loiter mode. Sorry.

Thanks.
Jun 20, 2016, 09:05 AM
If adjusting your GPS and braking gain does not fix the issue, please open a support ticket on our website and provide your log and config files.

Regards, John
Jun 20, 2016, 09:13 PM
Retired

Is it possible to do this?

Hello there,

I have read these instructions and tried to "tune" my vector accordingly but I cannot fly "3D" mode as I constantly panic and the session ends in a bad landing. I've tried on many occasions but my inability to literally see the orientation of the craft leads me to rush my landing which usually ends up wrong!

I know, I know I should be able to fly in manual mode but I'm old and not very adept at fast, evolving situations that occur in rate mode. I need the security of 2D and loiter modes, which I can handle, so I want to know if its possible to "tune" the vector by using just the pitch, roll, yaw and vertical settings with the "gain" knob adjustments? I don't get all flustered in 2D mode so I think I can handle the situation without a bad landing.

So do I really have to tune in manual mode or can I do it this way?

Thanks,
Denny
Jun 21, 2016, 12:37 AM
SVTHotchkiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalaman
Hello there,

I have read these instructions and tried to "tune" my vector accordingly but I cannot fly "3D" mode as I constantly panic and the session ends in a bad landing. I've tried on many occasions but my inability to literally see the orientation of the craft leads me to rush my landing which usually ends up wrong!

I know, I know I should be able to fly in manual mode but I'm old and not very adept at fast, evolving situations that occur in rate mode. I need the security of 2D and loiter modes, which I can handle, so I want to know if its possible to "tune" the vector by using just the pitch, roll, yaw and vertical settings with the "gain" knob adjustments? I don't get all flustered in 2D mode so I think I can handle the situation without a bad landing.

So do I really have to tune in manual mode or can I do it this way?

Thanks,
Denny
I asked this in this read in post 47, and John ET replied on post 51 saying:

So you must tune in 3D mode to tune it properly.
Jun 21, 2016, 11:10 AM
Retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTHotchkiss
I asked this in this read in post 47, and John ET replied on post 51 saying:

So you must tune in 3D mode to tune it properly.
Thanks for the reply. Yes I saw your post but I was wondering, what does adjusting the pitch, roll and yaw settings actually do? Will adjusting these values help our 2d and loiter modes or not, that is my question.