Tuning your Vector equipped multicopter - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 12, 2015, 01:02 PM
Smasher of foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
Step 4: Outer Proportional Gain (2D Mode)

In most cases, the Outer Proportional Gain does not need to be adjusted at all. However, since we’re going for a high performance setup here, we can tune this setting as well....

Start with this setting at its default value of 30...

In cases where OneShot125 is enabled and the Inner PID Gains are tuned correctly, this setting can be set far higher than the default. This will allow for more precise 2D maneuvering. 
No kidding! I just re-tuned my quad from scratch after I upgraded from 11.87 to 11.89. And this time I bothered to adjust my Outer Gain. (I almost never use 2D mode, unless I need to de-fog my goggles.) I had it cranked all the way up to 180 before I got any oscillations! And I eventually pulled it back to 110 because I like it a little less aggressively snappy. Very impressive!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2015, 08:31 PM
great job eagle tree ! although it was windy and cold (45 degrees) with vibration rejection set to low, rates at 1.75/1.75/.75, throttle expo at 10%, i was able to bump the gains up 10 points and still no oscillations and it was VERY snappy and responsive, MUCH more than before.

question on the Max ESC/Motor Output, how does one figure out what there esc's max output is? it seemed like i didnt have as much punch at 1900 so i set it to 1990 and it seemed better on the punch outs.
Sep 15, 2015, 08:32 AM
Hello,

For BLHeli ESCs or similar, do the following;

- After running the RX Wizard, look at your min and max throttle output on the RC Configuration page. For this example we will go with 2000 uS for max throttle and 100 uS for min throttle.

- Then go into BLHeli and program you max throttle for 2000 us and min throttle for 100uS

- Set your max ESC Output on the Advanced Tab to 1985 uS. If you don't get enough power on punchouts, change it to a higher number like 1990. If it won't maintain level on punchouts, changer it to a lower level like 1980.

For non BLHeli ESCs or similar, do the following;

- Calibrate your ESCs endpoints according to the ESC manual (connect one ESC at a time to the throttle channel of your RX and perform your calibration procedure)

- Perform the RX Wizard and note your min and max throttle output on the RC Configuration page. For this example we will go with 2000 uS for max throttle and 100 uS for min throttle.

- Set your max ESC Output on the Advanced Tab to 1985 uS. If you don't get enough power on punchouts, change it to a higher number like 1990. If it won't maintain level on punchouts, changer it to a lower level like 1980.

Regards, John
Sep 16, 2015, 02:08 PM
thanks john that really helps

i am running a futaba 8fg and when setting up naze32 they have futaba users set mid throttle to 1520

i notice in the receiver input monitor area that my throttle and other channel midpoints are 1521, 1525 etc, this is with zero expo etc. over on the Advanced fc tab the "throttle expo center point" is 1500. when i set some throttle expo should i set the "throttle expo center point" to 1520?
Sep 17, 2015, 08:26 AM
Hello,

The stick center numbers are arbitrary as the Vector learns them when you run the RX Wizard. If your hover position on the throttle stick is different than center stick position, put the throttle at the hover position and then note the uS number. Then put that number in the expo center point. That tells the Vector where the expo should initiate.

Regards, John
Sep 17, 2015, 09:30 AM
thanks, that is what i was thinking, like the "throttle mid" on naze32
Sep 23, 2015, 11:54 AM
Smasher of foam
Hey Billpa and JohnET, I'll say again that I think this is the best written and clearest tutorial I've ever seen for tuning PIDs.

Could you do the same sort of thing to help us tune our Loiter settings on the Vector? I'm glad to be able to put them on a knob now, but I'm at a loss for which setting to start with.
Oct 05, 2015, 05:35 PM
i am flashing some older rcmanchild esc's with the latest simonk fw which should enable oneshot active braking. the flash was successful.

what if i enable "Enable OneShot125 Mode" and these esc's do not have oneshot, what will happen? is there a way to test?
Oct 05, 2015, 06:14 PM
DroneWorlds - TEAM NEW ZEALAND
Check it with props off

If they arent running oneshot, they should just behave like they are not getting a PWM signal, but who knows... props off
Oct 06, 2015, 08:30 AM
Correct. They should not do anything but always test with props off first!

Regards, John
Oct 07, 2015, 01:40 AM
John a question about this firmware and Oneshot on a Mini Tricopter.

Does the Vector send the Oneshot Signal to the Tail servo pins or just the PWM signal for the servo channel and Oneshot Signal to the ESC'S. .

Will be good to know.

Cheers M
Oct 07, 2015, 10:13 AM
Hello,

The output for the tail servo in a tricopter is always set for digital servo usage regardless if oneshot is enabled or not.

Regards, John
Oct 08, 2015, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the reply John.. good to know..

M
Nov 21, 2015, 07:07 PM
Anyone willing to share vector gains for a Diatone 250 quad or any 250 I am new to the vector and when I tested today had alot of oscillations.I also notice when a do like a pitch pump motor 1 right front seems like it speeds up before the other ones and tilts the quad to the back left for a second.
Nov 21, 2015, 08:03 PM
DroneWorlds - TEAM NEW ZEALAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirehead70
Anyone willing to share vector gains for a Diatone 250 quad or any 250 I am new to the vector and when I tested today had alot of oscillations.I also notice when a do like a pitch pump motor 1 right front seems like it speeds up before the other ones and tilts the quad to the back left for a second.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...07&postcount=1

You'll never get it perfect by copying someone elses, might as well tune from scratch for your machine.