This thread is privately moderated by Mad_angler1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 25, 2015, 03:54 PM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Mini-Review

The Headplay HD

This week i received my Headplay HD FPV Goggles

My intention is to use these with my 5.8ghz fpv and the P3 via HDMI.

The Box

Upon opening i found mine had been shipped with the hard case Hyperion HV 2S 1300mah 4.35v Lipo, charge cable with banana plugs but no adapter.

The pack is hard cased and supplied with charge cable with banana plugs but no adapter as it is designed to be charged with a standard lipo charger. This is a HV pack and is designed to work up to 4.35v per per cell, if your charger does not support HV pack you can charge on the standard lipo setting of 4.20v and you will get just over 80% of the packs capacity available to you.

There is no low battery warning on the Headplay HD so its recommended to use a 2S voltage alarm. On my first couple of flights i flew it until the pack was flat and the goggles shut down. When i got back i found the battery refused to charge on my Turnigy Reactor 300W. After some testing i split the pack and found it is more than just a standard lipo, it seems to have the same low voltage protection FatShark packs have that cuts the output to protect the pack. The problem with this is most lipo chargers need to see voltage from the pack before they will start, to reset it you need to connect a 9V battery to the output then it should reset and charge.

Also in the box is some accessories

2 sets of foam face padding, thick and thin.

AV Cables

Spare Lens

5.8ghz Antenna

The Goggles

The Spec

•Screen resolution: 1280x800

•Field of View: 72 degree

•Fully adjustable picture via intuitive menus

•Control via button panel (distinct button design for "blind" operation)

•Rugged design with extremely durable materials

•Very high comfort

•Adjustable straps

•Different density foam pads allow you to adapt the goggles to your needs.

•Weight: 400g (excluding battery)

•Current consumptioná340mA@12V

•Supply voltage: 6-15V Recommended 2S LiPo

•Reverse voltage protection

•HDMI type C (HDMI-in)

•XS9JK (latched high end connector): Power Supply, Video-in, Audio-in, Ground, 5V out

•SMA antenna connector

•32 channel 5.8GHz A/V receiver

•8 segment display

•Sensitivity: -90dBm

Built-in speaker with volume control on buttons

They come in a nice cloth bag with pull cords on one side.

The Goggles are made from a mix of foam and plastic and are incredibly light. On the top is the inbuilt 5.8ghz receiver, it has a small LED numerical display to show channel and is compatible with the following frequency and supports all the major makes of VTX.

◦Band 1:á5725, 5745, 5765, 5785,á5805,á5825,á5845,á5865

◦Band 2:á5733, 5752,á5771,á5790,á5809,á5828,á5847,á5866

◦Band 3:á5705, 5685,á5665,á5645,á5885,á5905,á5925,á5945

◦Band 4:á5740,á5760,á5780,á5800,á5820,á5840, 5860,á5880

On the side are the controls for the monitors. You have Input, Up,Down, Volume & Menu

The battery connects to a 2.1mm power plug that runs over the top of the head strap, you then velcro the pack to the back plate. Strangely as part of the head strap there is a GoPro mount fitted, it seems they have used a standard GoPro head strap as part of the design.

The first thing you need to do before use is decide what foam to use and fit, i tried both just laying in place and went for the thinner, once you have decided just peal off the back and stick on.

First Impressions

Light, really light. When they are on you feel no weight at all yet they feel solid. The battery is stuck to the rear via velcro and seems to balance it out, after have them on for 15m in the house i had no discomfort, i did feel a little warm.

The Picture is huge, it fires it up on the F450 with IOSD Mini and it was massive. It's so big you cant see everything without specifically looking. To see the OSD i have to move my eyes to that part of the screen. It's bright, very clear and the colours look good.

Interestingly to me the screen does not feel as close to your eyes as i thought it would, it's not so much immersive but more IMAX. It is huge but you have the black void either side that shows you it is set back a bit.

In the Field.

My first few tests were on my F450 with Naza V2, FPV camera was the SJCam 4000 with IRC 600mw VTX and Spironets on both sides. I had some concerns as this VTX is known not to play well with some receivers, It works fine with 5800 but does not work well with my Black Pearl monitor at all so was unsure what kind of range i would get. After firing it all up and flying everything look great, I took it out on a few long runs and i got to 1.34km on the longest run before it dropped out. I flew a total of 50 minutes over 2 days on the 450 and i am really impressed, signal was consistently good, sometimes i found i needed to turn a little as i had flown in a different direction but over all the inbuilt receiver was very impressive. Unfortunately due to camera isolation problems i was not really able to tell how the image clarity was as i was getting massive jello but it was still good.

The DJI Phantom 3

After receiving my HDMI board i headed out to test with the P3. I had bought a 1m HDMI C to C cable. One thing i noticed is the HDMI port is very tight, it is buried into the foam and plastic and i struggled to get the cable in several times but after some playing i managed to get it to fit.

After finally getting the cable in.

I do have a concern that this port would be very easy to damage over time, i think i am going to fit an adapter into the port then connect the cable to that to save the port over time.

Flying with the P3.

The Picture is fantastic, very bright and crystal clear from end to end. The Phantoms 3 OSD looks great and is easy to read. I did notice you can see blocking when the signal drops and its more noticeable though the goggles than on the tablet but it still looks great and its nothing that bothered me.

I flew 2 packs and even with the HDMI cable fitted i still hardly noticed the weight.

Final Impressions

Overall i am massively impressed with these, its my first set of FPV goggles so i have nothing to compare them to but i do have the FatShark Dominator V3 on order so i will post comparison when they arrive.

Yes they are huge but they are extremely light, you do look very odd wearing them but i can live with that for the quality of the screen.

UPDATE

After some posts on issues with the power plug i decided to strip mine and take a look

I was not happy with the separation between the power wires, any twisting in the cable would result in a short and even small lips packs have produce a huge amount of current, So i re soldered and added tubing, then put some more bulk around the clamp as well to prevent twisting.

Other than that i have been massively impressed by these goggles so far.

Please Note: As with all my own blog post all links may be affiliate links and i may receive a small commission on any purchase bought through them , if you wish to support me then then are there otherwise you can navigate directly to DJI's website, thank you.
Last edited by Mad_angler1; Aug 25, 2017 at 12:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2015, 07:09 PM
Yeah, these are great. I received mine just after fourth of July and have enjoyed them immensely. I agree about the robust but lightweight nature of these goggles. I did add a little bit of foam at the nose area as I got a bit of light leak but issue resolved. I have to admit that I watched the entire Spa F1 race with these on and it was nice. My fiancÚ kept making fun but i told her she was jealous.
Aug 25, 2015, 07:59 PM
Still Screamin'!
If it has a battery cable with bananna plugs, why do you need an adapter? Your charger won't use the bananna plugs? Or am I missing something here? Mine came with the cable and a charger that I will never use. I was one of the very first to get them and wish mine had come no charger and an extra pack like some others
Aug 25, 2015, 09:19 PM
Animal Logic
Nice review MA I was worried about the size and how comfortable they would But that does not seem a problem

cheers
Aug 26, 2015, 02:28 AM
Thank you for taking the time to review this FPV product.

ANDREW
Aug 26, 2015, 02:43 AM
Closed Account
Great review, looking forward to receive my Headplays.
Aug 26, 2015, 05:44 AM
Excellent review ...Question what voltage would you set your 2s lipo alarm to?
Aug 26, 2015, 05:58 AM

The Headplay HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_aus
Excellent review ...Question what voltage would you set your 2s lipo alarm to?

I'd go 3.5- 3.7v as there would be very little voltage drop due to the load.

I'm also going to try my 1A 3S pack I have.
Last edited by Mad_angler1; Aug 26, 2015 at 07:17 AM.
Aug 26, 2015, 06:44 AM
Still Screamin'!
I also use a 2200ma A123 2s pack I have and it works great! Very compact and last a LONG time!
Aug 26, 2015, 07:39 AM
Mad Angler thank you for this review, very usefull. I appreciate the time you took to make it. I am considering to buy the headplay too. To install the P3 hdmi I bet is tricky?
Aug 26, 2015, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D700
Mad Angler thank you for this review, very usefull. I appreciate the time you took to make it. I am considering to buy the headplay too. To install the P3 hdmi I bet is tricky?
Very straight forward, Have a look on Blade Strike blog he had posted the instructions, the ribbon cables and connectors are very delicate but if done correctly its no problem.
Aug 26, 2015, 04:42 PM

The Headplay HD

If you have HeadPlay its worth checking this out,

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1807

will be checking mine shortly
Last edited by Mad_angler1; Aug 26, 2015 at 06:39 PM.
Aug 26, 2015, 04:50 PM
Since this is your first set of Goggles, I'd watch out for fogging. When you sweat, and the heat/humidly are just right, they tend to fog up. Easy solution; use Rain-X Anti-Fog. Works pretty well on FS Goggles.
Other solution is to pull the goggles away from your eyes a few times, rapidly to clear them.
Aug 31, 2015, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasuphoto
Since this is your first set of Goggles, I'd watch out for fogging. When you sweat, and the heat/humidly are just right, they tend to fog up. Easy solution; use Rain-X Anti-Fog. Works pretty well on FS Goggles.
Other solution is to pull the goggles away from your eyes a few times, rapidly to clear them.
I've got a couple of small fans that I'm going to attach to the outside of the goggles with long screws and drill some small holes thru the foam and see if I can force some air inside to remove any fog or built up heat. I will let you know how it works. Here is the fan: http://www.taydaelectronics.com/dc-b...-1-5-inch.html
Aug 31, 2015, 08:02 AM

The Headplay HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsheldon
I've got a couple of small fans that I'm going to attach to the outside of the goggles with long screws and drill some small holes thru the foam and see if I can force some air inside to remove any fog or built up heat. I will let you know how it works. Here is the fan: http://www.taydaelectronics.com/dc-b...-1-5-inch.html

Cool look forward to seeing it. Tbh it's not something I'll likely suffer from in Wales as it's always cold and wet

I wonder if you could add the fan behind the screen to get airflow in ?

It's all about circulation so as long as you can get the air moving you should be ok.

Quick Reply