FlySky FS-i6 8 channels firmware patch! - Page 11 - RC Groups
Dec 05, 2015, 06:50 AM
Will see if I Can test new installer today.

My goal is tgy-i6 -> ia6b -> arduiono iBus/ppm -> 433mhz ULRS tx with Bluetooth to Groundstation -> 433Mhz ULRS on model.

IBus voltage sensor reverse engineering attempt is here:
https://github.com/cleanflight/cleanflight/issues/1125
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2015, 08:29 AM
For iBus telemetry, I have some things working. I have a PIC that simulates a sensor. Bit experimental, but here is the PIC code.
Dec 05, 2015, 12:48 PM
WimH,
Here is a new version of my firmware which enables you to select all 10 channels in the iBus setup menu. I don't know if they will get ignored by the receiver - I hope not. Are you able to give it a go as i don't have an iBus extender to try out.
Dec 05, 2015, 04:10 PM
Just came home after a night out. Will try tomorrow.I hope Benbojangles can integrate this in the updater, otherwise I will try Thom's...
Dec 05, 2015, 04:21 PM
I tested the former version from BenjoAngeles. It flashes fine, and I seem to have 10 channels. But I do not know how to connect the iBus of the iA6B to my Flip32+.
Tried to use same pins on the Flip32+ as for PPM, and selected iBus, but did not get anything in. I only have 6 PPM channels. Any help at connecting would be nice.

How am I supposed to connect iBus to flip32 ?

Just tested dave older firmware with a simulator cable. Student mode puts out 6 channels, the last 2 are the to variometers. With the R8 firmware, I think it accepted the choice of aux channels but not sure.
Dec 05, 2015, 11:45 PM
Fpv adventures
Updated Firmware .exe:

https://github.com/benb0jangles/FlyS...rogrammer_V1_1
Dec 06, 2015, 02:41 AM
Updater worked flawlessly again ( I put the TX in update mode by switching it on with left stick trims held right and down). Problem: I can assign controls for channels 7 and 8 and save them, but for 9 and 10 they seem not to save. In fact , the last one I tried to save (9 OR10) works as intended on the display( and also with the servo), but the control value is not shown , and the 9 or 10 channel configured before the last one stays neutral... Binding my IA6b receiver now...

Edit: It works flawlessly! The extender is programmed for channels 1-4 as it comes. Choosing channels 7-9 in the new soft Ibus "assign" screen and pressing the corresponding K1-K3 buttons works, I now have channel 7(3 pos switch C), 8(SWA) and 9(SWB, although not visible in the display screen as such) working on the extender.This imho is a more comfortable solution than the separate bus servo programmers the other brands use. I am amazed that Dave was able to program all this in such a short time. I wish I could do it myself so I could remove all heli software and add a couple timers and mixers.... Oh, and big thanks to Benbojangles for keeping the project going and providing the modified updaters, and of course to Thom for starting the whole thing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by povlhp
. But I do not know how to connect the iBus of the iA6B to my Flip32+.
Tried to use same pins on the Flip32+ as for PPM, and selected iBus, but did not get anything in. I only have 6 PPM channels. Any help at connecting would be nice...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomHpl
I'm also using the flip32 board. You need to connect the servo iBus port to the pwm input channel 4, and use the baseflight firmware.
Last edited by WimH; Dec 06, 2015 at 05:02 AM.
Dec 06, 2015, 05:27 AM
I can confirm the FS-i6 10ch mod updater (the "previous" version without 10ch iBUS selection) working on turnigy TGY-i6 with FS-ia6b, flashed with official Flysky flashing cable. Thank you so much! If I need to test something, please let me know.
Btw, flashed using a virtual windows 7 machine on OSX using virtualbox. Updater also works in Wine but it doesn't communicate with COM port.
Dec 06, 2015, 10:09 AM
Wow great job Dave! I'll test it How did you handled the relocation? Personnaly I did it manualy but I'd be grateful to see the tools you made or use
Dec 06, 2015, 03:14 PM
Did the latest upgrade.

Did some more testing. Can confirm that base flight (not cleanflight/betaflight) supports iBus input, and will accept 8 channels from the FS-i6 -> iA6B. Just use a 3-wire connection from one iBus port -> pin-4 and +/- on the Flip32+ (the Flip32+ has 3 rows of inputs like most Rx, so just the connection to channel 4).
Then in CLI:
feature SERIALRX
set serialrx_type=5

I had no success only selecting it in GUI. But this works.

So now we have 2 challenges left, PPM out of the Tx with all 10+ channels, and the more difficult: 10-12 channel PPM out of the iA6B.

Guess I will just use an Arduino for doing the conversion. They are <$1.50 without USB (not needed if you have an FTDI or equivalent cable) . $2.40 with USB. Can supposedly also be used to firmware flash Afro ESCs. And if I need to mix-in some headtracker, it will be doable as well. This Arduino stuff seems to be growing on me.
Dec 06, 2015, 07:39 PM
Great thread!! Great work!

Receiving an eachine i6 shortly and will play with this on it.

Sill question... has anyone tried flashing the flysky i10 firmware on the i6?

Nevermind... taking a closer look at the i10 - quite a beast.
Last edited by DamdBulldog; Dec 06, 2015 at 08:10 PM.
Dec 07, 2015, 12:39 AM
So..it has to be connected thru i-bus and configure FC to use serial receiver in order to use all additional channels, right? Only 6 channels on PWM outputs. I am using APM pro or the mini APM 2.6 which only support PWM. Is it possible to mix additional channels 7-10 to the available aux channels 5? Right now the Tx and only do mix with 6 channels. I use aux 5 mix with aux 6 assign to Vr to get 5 flight modes.
Dec 07, 2015, 02:11 AM
It is correct that we can do 6 channels PPM only (Which is what you feed APM). You can use iBus or an iBus extender with iA6B to get extra PWM channels, or get the iA10 receiver for full 10 channels. Read somewhere that some person added iBus support to Ardupilot. It probably is trivial, but I am not sure if it is possible to get back in the official packages.

Another solution is to get a cheap Arduino Nano, and have that convert iBus -> 8 channel PPM + 2 channel PWM if that is what you want. Not sure if there is code there yet. But if should just be something like the iBus code from Baseflight to read data, and then some PPM out + PWM out code. So just piecing a few pieces together. The headtracker code reads PPM, modifies a couple channels and outputs PPM. Sending a few channels to PWM should be trivial.
Dec 07, 2015, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_Stro
So..it has to be connected thru i-bus and configure FC to use serial receiver in order to use all additional channels, right? Only 6 channels on PWM outputs. I am using APM pro or the mini APM 2.6 which only support PWM. Is it possible to mix additional channels 7-10 to the available aux channels 5? Right now the Tx and only do mix with 6 channels. I use aux 5 mix with aux 6 assign to Vr to get 5 flight modes.
I configured 2 mixes (on aux 5 and aux 6) to create 6 flightmodes. using swC for pos. 1,2,3 (between 1000us and 1500us) and swD "shifted" those positions to 4,5,6 (between 1500us and 2000us). Downside: this forces channel 6 linked to the two-position switch, so you "sacrifice" that channel, while having 6 positions on chan 5.
I guess (with this 10ch mod firmware) you can now use an unused channel (7,8,9,10) for the two-position switch, so you still have channel 6 for a pot or a switch
Dec 07, 2015, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by povlhp
Did the latest upgrade.

Did some more testing. Can confirm that base flight (not cleanflight/betaflight) supports iBus input, and will accept 8 channels from the FS-i6 -> iA6B. Just use a 3-wire connection from one iBus port -> pin-4 and +/- on the Flip32+ (the Flip32+ has 3 rows of inputs like most Rx, so just the connection to channel 4).
Then in CLI:
feature SERIALRX
set serialrx_type=5

I had no success only selecting it in GUI. But this works.

So now we have 2 challenges left, PPM out of the Tx with all 10+ channels, and the more difficult: 10-12 channel PPM out of the iA6B.

Guess I will just use an Arduino for doing the conversion. They are <$1.50 without USB (not needed if you have an FTDI or equivalent cable) . $2.40 with USB. Can supposedly also be used to firmware flash Afro ESCs. And if I need to mix-in some headtracker, it will be doable as well. This Arduino stuff seems to be growing on me.
cleanflight is on its way, we need this for ibus in cleanflight: https://github.com/cleanflight/clean...pull/983/files