This thread is privately moderated by epoxyearl, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 23, 2015, 04:21 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
Discussion

Airshows, and Tradition.

I'm an old man. 74. I don't "act my age"..I'm one of the very lucky ones that has my health and an 'inner self' of about age 30.

We have a local Airshow in Toughkenamon, Pa.,Named New Garden.
Started many years ago by the DuPonts, it is a typical Airfield without a tower, a 'see and be seen' affair..
When the DuPonts aged, the field was transferred to the local Township in Avondale. Usually, fences go up, access is limited, and I.D. must be shown, to access the facilities. Not so here..You can drive in there ,say Tuesday afternoon, and people will wave Hi to you .
Unusual, to say the least.
We used to visit here when I were a kid....Mom would pack a picnic basket, Dad would load us up in the old Buick, and we'd spend a Sunday afternoon parked on the hill by the Beacon tower.

Yesterday, there was a family amongst several thousand people, parked in the general area. Mom , Dad,two sons and two daughters. Having a picnic on the hill. When I walked by, one son was asleep (Mustang engine music soothed his soul)..The Mom and the other three kids were chowing down, while Dad was lost in the performance of said Mustang.

We go to watch Airplanes, but we get to see the important things as well.
Latest blog entry: Ban Birds.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2015, 08:42 PM
rrg
rrg
Very well put. It's nice to see yourself sitting there again. I'm old also....
Aug 23, 2015, 11:43 PM
Plane Nuts
Earl - go down to Bealeton, Va to the Flying Circus. Every Sunday - May through October. Barnstorming air show. Grew up there - know what you mean. Started going there at 14 months old, started working there at 14 years old. Was there for over 10 years.

Rob
Aug 24, 2015, 03:32 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason
Earl - go down to Bealeton, Va to the Flying Circus. Every Sunday - May through October. Barnstorming air show. Grew up there - know what you mean. Started going there at 14 months old, started working there at 14 years old. Was there for over 10 years.

Rob
Thanks, Rob..I've flown models in the Giant Scale Competitions, they have (Had?) there...Another wonderful old grass roots air show. That old Fleet with it's Kinner still rings in my ears.
Aug 24, 2015, 10:03 AM
Plane Nuts
I know DCRC were still doing them at least until a couple years ago. Never flew the giant scale competition, but flew a rocket powered boost glider in the DCRC show a couple of years. Also Bob Underwood let me fly his Sturmovic once .

Was/is a great family show. Starting out as one of the young audience members and then working there (as several o the pilots and crew members have done) it has brought the dream of flight to many.

The pilot of the Tiger Moth became my god father and I have many hours in both the Fleets that were out there. First solo was in a Stearman there.

Can easily blame the Circus for my love of all thing flying. Glad it and other small shows like the one in Pa are still around giving a more personal touch to that side of aviation.

Rob
Aug 24, 2015, 11:05 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
I'm a Marylander, and I courted my wife out of King George...Many, many trips up 17 to visit the airshow...and spend afternoons lazing at the Airport....
The Pitts would come over from Warrenton at what sounded like a thousand miles an hour, knife edging out of that narrow 'gorge' in the woods.
Ah yes, I remember it well.
Sep 06, 2015, 05:49 PM
Play that funky music right
Nice you can mingle among the good stuff. At the airshow we just had here (first one in 25 years) on Sunday morning I wandered out to look at some of the war birds, specifically a real Zero. Somebody came up and said I couldn't be there 'cause the FAA was watching. I said I was not even that close. He said "I understand and if I had my way everybody should be out here but I have my orders". I don't think he was any happier than I was.

At least we had an airshow! MANY families were sprawled out on the grass watching and it was HOT both days.

Ken
Sep 06, 2015, 07:14 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
Reminds me of a confrontation I had years back, at Frederick Maryland.

I walked the taxiway in the wee dawn hours to get a silhouette pic of the B-17, as the Sun came up....About 100 yards behind me, the ROTC 'guards' were beating feet to stop me.
We all reached the aluminum overcast at about the same time...He said-"excuse me, sir, but you aren't allowed to be here."
I pulled myself up haughtily and said..."young man, in one hour and forty two minutes, I will be directly over this runway,in this airplane, with the Bomb Bay lever in my complete control....I would suggest that YOU not be in this general area at that time."
I got my pics.

They didn't have an alternate plan for resistance......chuckle.

Quick Reply