Jul 05, 2004, 10:26 AM
Piscine Promulgator

Mac OSX version of Slope Soaring Simulator now available

Barney has just posted a fully functional Mac OSX 10.3.4 and above version of SSS 2.16.5 to the SSS Yahoo Group site. I've just downloaded it to my Powerbook and it works AWESOME, just like the PC version except on Mac!

All you need is Mac OSX 10.3.4 or above, the standard download of SSS 2.16.4, and Barney's OSX 0.4 file. You copy the file named 'sss' from Barney's archive, paste it into the sss-2.16.4 folder (created after you unzip the basic SSS download) and then start SSS from the command line in Terminal.

To start SSS at the command line, all you need to do is open Terminal and use the 'cd' command to change to the directory of your SSS program, then run the command './sss' (without single quotes). So, if you downloaded SSS to your Documents folder (for example) and unzipped it there following the instructions above, then when you open Terminal to run the program you would enter commands something like this:

Yourcomputer:~ yourname$ cd Documents/sss-2.16.4
Yourcomputer:~/Documents/sss-2.16.5 yourname$ ./sss

("Yourcomputer" will be your computer name, and "yourname" will be the user name you are logged in as)

To download SSS, go to http://www.rowlhouse.co.uk/sss/

To download the necessary files, you need to join the Yahoo Group for SSS: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/slope_soaring_sim Go to the Files section to get Barney's port for OSX.

Enjoy! This is a great simulator and it's awesome that it's finally available on Mac!!!

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Jul 07, 2004, 02:55 PM
Got my ears on
cool beans

Will try that tomorrow on my iMac. (G4)

Whats the chances it'll run on my old old iBook (300Mhz G3 4Mb VRAM )

Just gotta find a USB interface that the mac can see as a normal joystick...
Jul 07, 2004, 05:22 PM
It should run OK on your old iBook (I wrote/tested almost all of it on a 200MHz Pentium), though if it doesn't have hardware support for OpenGL you'll have to run it in "ugly"/small window mode
Jul 18, 2004, 07:27 AM
AKA 3DJIM
Top Job, i use sss when its to miserable outside (alot in UK!) i have afp and realflight but keep on flying sss, i like the way it feels the wind etc is good.

Thanks for many months gliding!!!

Tetley.
Jul 18, 2004, 08:58 AM
Thanks for posting this, I have been looking for something for my mac. Does anyone know if the controller that comes with RealFlight G2 will work with this. I have been thinking of buying it, mostly for the controller and heli support.

Thanks,
Dale
Jul 18, 2004, 11:42 AM
AKA 3DJIM
hi dwentz, do yourself a massive favour and go here and look at AERO FLIGHT PRO , G2 is a very expensive way of flying, all the add-on planes etc are on expansion disc's that cost a bomb, afp has hundreds of free download planes and scenery's, 5 new photo realistic scenes are now out to that make afp look just lie xtr, for an example of g2 it wont flat spin, the physics just cant do 3d stuff or anything other than basic flight, afp is the absolute best in terms of aircraft physics and reaction to input. BTW the afp controller works wit , real flight, fms and the others also .
Check out this afp screenie below !!.
Oct 04, 2004, 03:32 PM
Sure Tetley, AeroFlightPro looks great, but is it available for the Macintosh? Is it?

Dwentz may still be more interested in running a sim on his Mac, and right now, afaik, SSS, as a unix port, is it, for RC flight Sim on a mac, unless others can mention other packages. I think his interest was in taking the RC controller interface from one of the PC packages, for use with a mac. May take some modification, or driver support. And running a PC package on Virtual PC may not work out.

What are the Macusers using as a controller with SSS?
Oct 04, 2004, 04:18 PM
G2 won't run on a Mac even in emulation mode. Who knows about G3 though...
Oct 04, 2004, 04:25 PM
I purchased G2, and am very happy with it. I have not tried to use the controller on my mac yet. I chose G2 mostly because it came with a nice controller, and I did not have to use my radio. I still have a PC around, as it is needed for work, but 99% of what I do is done on the mac. If there was a good RC flight simulator for the mac, I would buy it in a heart beat! I will have to load SSS back up and see if the controller works. I would guess that it would, as it is seen as a joystick to programs other than G2

dwentz
Oct 06, 2004, 07:03 AM
slow but inefficient

controllers for sss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrycooter
Yes! That's the question! ? ? ? ? ?

ronw
Oct 08, 2004, 02:07 PM
Don't know a thing about linux and having trouble with OS X version of sss.
I copied the sss from the sss-osx-0.4 folder into the 2.16.5 folder
doubled clicked – terminal opened
Went to “File” – new command and entered the following

admin-s-Computer:~ phillipm$ /cd Desktop/sss-2.16.5
admin-s-Computer:~/Desktop/sss-2.16.5 phillipm$.sss

(the 2.16.5 folder was unzipped to my desktop)
Nothing happened

Help
Oct 09, 2004, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbuilder
Don't know a thing about linux and having trouble with OS X version of sss.
I copied the sss from the sss-osx-0.4 folder into the 2.16.5 folder
doubled clicked – terminal opened
Went to “File” – new command and entered the following

admin-s-Computer:~ phillipm$ /cd Desktop/sss-2.16.5
admin-s-Computer:~/Desktop/sss-2.16.5 phillipm$.sss

(the 2.16.5 folder was unzipped to my desktop)
Nothing happened

Help
Hi crashbuilder,

You're halfway there. Here's a few tips:
  • When the terminal is open, use new shell instead of new command
    type cd space then drag the sss-2.16.5 folder from the desktop onto the terminal to get the correct path
    type return to change directory
    then type ./sss and return to run sss
    answer the questions as they appear in the terminal
    enjoy

Bernard
Oct 12, 2004, 01:38 PM
Bernard
Many thanks it works ......

Crashbuilder
Oct 14, 2004, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrycooter
Sure Tetley, AeroFlightPro looks great, but is it available for the Macintosh? Is it?

Dwentz may still be more interested in running a sim on his Mac, and right now, afaik, SSS, as a unix port, is it, for RC flight Sim on a mac, unless others can mention other packages. I think his interest was in taking the RC controller interface from one of the PC packages, for use with a mac. May take some modification, or driver support. And running a PC package on Virtual PC may not work out.

I have a futaba 7chp and a usb interface from www.milehighwings.com

works with rc helicopter simulator acts like an analog joystic.

just found this thread and I have downloaded x-plane and sss to try them out.

t
Oct 26, 2004, 12:19 AM
HeliAP'er!
I downloaded this last night for my Powerbook - kicks ass!! I can run it with 6 robots at 1280x854 (Millions) and I still get 25fps! Now I just need to justify (and FIND!) the money to buy one of those USB interfaces from MileHighWings for my FF9.

Great work with this sim guys.

Quick Reply