Aug 21, 2015, 10:13 PM
Thread OP
Help!

No Heartbeat Packets Received

I'm getting a "No Heartbeat Packets Received" error when I attempt to connect my new APM 2.8 controller to Mission Planner.

Here are the specifics so far:
- MP 1.3.31 build 1.1.5696.33420
- ArduCopter v2.9.1b firmware
- Nothing connected to the board except the USB cable
- Board showing 1 solid orange LED and one solid blue LED
- Tried all three USB ports on my Dell Latitude laptop running windows 7 Pro
- The board is listed as COM7 and I've set the baud rate at 115200 (in the device manager settings as well)
- I can connect with the terminal, access the basic tests, and read the unit settings
- I attempted to connect via radio telemetry and the PM as well, just to see if my USB port wasn't supplying enough juice (not at the same time as the USB cable)

This is my first quad build and my first experience with APM. Any advice on what to try next would be greatly appreciated.

Neil
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2015, 05:02 PM
FLOOR IT !
hello can you please try a baud rate of 57600, worked for me on my usb mission planner, if not try another cable as yours may be a dud. The wireless dongle for APM also works on same baud rate for me. I am running a clone called the HKPilot Micro that is giving me yaw motor issues lol.

Also at first my Mission Planner would not connect to my copter, I had to load firmware on it from APM Planner, not mission planner, It is on the same website you downloaded Mission Planner from.

If all else fails, Run as Administrator and see if that help.

Hope This helps
Last edited by mholzschuh; Aug 22, 2015 at 05:16 PM.
Aug 22, 2015, 05:07 PM
Thread OP
Thanks - I'll give it a try.
Aug 22, 2015, 05:21 PM
Thread OP
No luck - same error. Also, it was recommended on another forum that I upgrade to the latest firmware, but when I do I get a double flashing red light and then it turns off, all except for the orange light by the GPS port. These lights flash whether I use MP or not; however, I did not get the flashing error lights when I used a previous version of ArduCopter. The problem is, that in either case, I still could not connect to the board.

Can you describe what lights should be on how they flash when a properly working board is booted up?
Last edited by msgnfg; Aug 22, 2015 at 05:35 PM.
Aug 22, 2015, 06:55 PM
FLOOR IT !
Would you want to take a pic of your setup and ill take a look, It could be a bunch of things, How are you powering the APM
Aug 22, 2015, 07:07 PM
Thread OP
I'll take a photo of my connection but there is not much to see: APM connected to USB port of Dell Latitude laptop. Here is a screen shot of the error I'm receiving when trying to connect from the terminal, if it helps at all.
Aug 22, 2015, 07:15 PM
Thread OP
Images as requested. I couldn't' get the blinking red led to show up, so this represents what it looks like after the initial boot error (assuming the flashing red led is an error).
Aug 22, 2015, 08:58 PM
FLOOR IT !
HMMM well is it new, used off here, or what? Because from the log it seem like there is a problem with the Microprocessor and it is connecting if it can read that much. When there is processor errors it is usually a bad sign. If you bought it thew a company I would do an RMA, If you did the purchase threw a seller here on RCG talk to them and if they are uncooperative open a paypal case.
Aug 22, 2015, 09:18 PM
FLOOR IT !
http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/fa...o-boot-mpu6000

More deets about mpu6000 errors.
Aug 22, 2015, 09:18 PM
Thread OP
Thank you. Looks like that's the only option left. I purchased through a vendor on eBay and they've been responsive to my questions so far. They sent me the wrong GPS cable (6 pin for Pixhawk instead of 5 pin for APM) and agreed to send me a new one. I just sent them another email describing the problem and requesting help. Hopefully it goes well. If not, I'll purchase another board through a reputable US store. The kit I bought came with everything including OSD, GPS/Compass, and Radio Telemetry. Everything else seems OK so far, except the OSD which I can't test yet until I get the APM going.

Thanks for the help.
Aug 22, 2015, 10:16 PM
FLOOR IT !
I mean I have had good luck with Chinese vendors, so don't get discouraged, try hobbyking, they have 2 usa warehouses now and a decent selection although Im not sure what is in stock. but if you need it quick you cant beat multirotor superstore they are in Santa Cruz and get things out very fast, but at a price. And I don't think they have any apm other then pixhawk.

http://www.multirotorsuperstore.com/
https://www.hobbyking.com/
Aug 22, 2015, 10:47 PM
Thread OP
Value Hobby has the APM 2.6 for $50 and they usually ship within four days. When I order over the weekend it usually arrives by Thursday. Don't want to spend $50 more, but will if I get pushback from China vendor.
Aug 23, 2015, 05:48 PM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgnfg
I'm getting a "No Heartbeat Packets Received" error when I attempt to connect my new APM 2.8 controller to Mission Planner.

Here are the specifics so far:
- MP 1.3.31 build 1.1.5696.33420
- ArduCopter v2.9.1b firmware
- Nothing connected to the board except the USB cable
- Board showing 1 solid orange LED and one solid blue LED
- Tried all three USB ports on my Dell Latitude laptop running windows 7 Pro
- The board is listed as COM7 and I've set the baud rate at 115200 (in the device manager settings as well)
- I can connect with the terminal, access the basic tests, and read the unit settings
- I attempted to connect via radio telemetry and the PM as well, just to see if my USB port wasn't supplying enough juice (not at the same time as the USB cable)

This is my first quad build and my first experience with APM. Any advice on what to try next would be greatly appreciated.

Neil
Telemetry and USB use the same port. You cannot connect via telemetry radio if you have a USB cable connected for power...
Aug 23, 2015, 08:41 PM
Thread OP
This board has two separate ports: one for telemetry and a separate micro USB port.
Aug 23, 2015, 09:08 PM
FA3PR9WM79
Doesn't matter. I say again, YOU CANNOT CONNECT VIA TELEMETRY RADIO IF YOU HAVE THE FLIGHT CONTROLLER CONNECTED TO YOUR COMPUTER VIA THE USB PORT.

In other words, if you connect to your computer just to power the board (you do not click the Connect Icon), you cannot connect using telemetry radios. And to prove it, plug the ground radio into your computer. Launch Mission Planner. Power up the aircraft with the flight battery. Select the MavLink radio COM port and click Connect...

Now disconnect. Unplug the flight battery. Plug in a USB cable between the computer and the FC. Select the MavLink port and click Connect.

I'll betcha it connected the first time and not the second... BTDT...

Quick Reply