Jul 28, 2004, 08:17 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Saeedd .. glad you're still enjoying the Arado !!!!! We use the servo arm /propsaver as shown in the pic below.... secured with a few rubberbands .... on the APC prop we use the small adapter ring glued in the prop , to fit over the GWS nut/shaft . As a pusher , we just rely on the front hole(larger) being held with the rubber bands , it'll actually seek a good running position and has not been that critical , sometimes just needs a tweek to run right ....
Dorr... Mine are mounted on a plate in the front of the fuse...make it easy on yourself....
Jsky.... sometimes the glider thingie' is more FUN that the flying ....it gives you a great feeling of accomplishment to see it smoothly sail across the yard ......and hit a tree...hahahahahaha
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2004, 08:19 AM
gpw
gpw
oops!!! the pic...
Jul 28, 2004, 08:47 AM
Would the ips wi w/ s1 ratio and a 9x7 prop be suitable for the arado? My F14 project has stalled (waiting of fans) and I could build on of these fairly quick in the meantime. It looks like a fun little plane.
Jul 28, 2004, 10:24 AM
gpw,
Thanks as always for sharing/helping. Because of you and some other kind people on this forum, I am having so much fun/enjoying this hobby so much. I am learning and have learned so much from you experts. The Arado is one of my favorite planes. I had lots of fun with it as DD and now I want to give it a try with geared/3-cells 11.1 V etec. What prop should I use with J-250 C gear? /J-250 D gear for the Arado? I have been watching/reading a lot about some of your other designs. They all look fantastic. Once again thanks for your help, time, designs, sharing, and most of all thanks for the gift of your kindness.

Regards,
Saeed
Jul 29, 2004, 07:11 AM
gpw
gpw
Saeed ... May there be many blessings on you for being so nice as to recognize my humble contributions.....I think you'll really enjoy the GWS C drive with a 9/6 or 10/6 prop....on two lipos it's pretty fast.... on 3 cells it's ridiculous, schmaybe' a bit dangerous, but you don't have to fly wide open ...... all the time.....

Pylot ..... Na!!!! not enough power for really good performance.....but if you reduced it to about 75%.....That might be fun , but still no Rocket like the prototypes...
Jul 31, 2004, 11:44 AM
Arado and Pusher Prop...

Are the standard GWS type props just reversed for the pusher applications?

Thus the lettering would be facing towards the front of the plane. Does the prop loose much of it effeciency, since they were designed to operate as a puller???

I have no experience with pushers and hoping just to use my on hand props for a try.

BobFlyer..

GPW: By the way I did build the Parkflyer Pete...It is a very nice easy relaxing plane..
I made the usual mistake, not enough dihedral only 3" on first version,(it tip stalled and yawed all over the place) but I cut the outboard 5" of each wing and made it a polydihedral(additional 2"/side)...Very stable...I am making a new wing for the pete...with the required 6" dihedral...Thanks for the Plans...its a dcm 189..5.33:1GWS..10x4.7 and polyquest 2s 1100's all up 10 ozs...also UF....Guess call it a poly...pete...

I have cut the UF for the arado..and should have it almost finished by this afternoon.

Thanks again BobFlyer
Last edited by BobFlyer; Jul 31, 2004 at 11:46 AM. Reason: name details
Jul 31, 2004, 11:53 AM
Crash Master
You are correct on the prop. They are fine, since they are going the same direction, they don't know if they are pulling or pushing the load, they just eat what's in front of them The pressures and flows are virtually the same, just the shadowed flow sections from the fuselage are in different locations. Not a big deal when they are only 10% or so of the prop circle.

Also, you may have been able to stabilize the Pete with some added washout. Just massage the TE tips of the wings upwards... Makes a huge difference in stability. Uses a heat gun if you wish to work out the wrinkles...
Jul 31, 2004, 11:58 AM
Trying to defy gravity...
Thread OP
There are no pusher or puller props....they are one in the same.

Props always "face forward" regardless if they are pushers or pullers. For a GWS prop that means the letters towards the front of the plane and the smooth side of the prop facing the rear of the plane. Here's what I do to configure my props/motors:

1) The prop always faces forward, regularless if pusher or puller. For GWS props this means the lettering with the the prop info goes towards the front of the plane. The "back" of GWS props have a very smooth, shiny surface.

2) Install prop on motor with motor configured as it will be used (pusher or puller). Power up motor with a battery or DC power supply and see which way air is deflected. Air should blow out from back of prop (no letters, shiny surface), towards the back of the plane. If not reverse wires to motor.

3) Once the motor/prop is spinning properly, identify the POSITIVE battery or power supply lead. Take a Sharpie and mark a "+" on which tab of the motor the positive lead is connected to.

Hope this helps.

Jimsky
Jul 31, 2004, 08:36 PM
Got it...Thanks for the feedback...

I was brain dead when I asked the question...since on several occasions I have had
to reverse the wiring to get the prop wash correct...

Again tnx...BobFlyer

On the Pete with the polydiheadral...It flys very good this way..With the new wing with the 6" diheadral and some washout(which I am cooking now)...should also perform good..
Last edited by BobFlyer; Jul 31, 2004 at 08:39 PM. Reason: update
Aug 01, 2004, 08:37 AM
gpw
gpw

There is one more thing to consider...

When using pushers , such as the Arado.... you must exercise extreme care during launching not to let any part of your hand , arm, hat , glasses, etc. come into contact with the prop. You'll need to "follow through" on your hand launch (baseball style) so as to move your hand out of the way ....
If you don't , you'll have multiple cuts , usually on the back of your hand....ask me how I know this....
As Genebond says ... they just EAT what's in front of them .....TRUE!!!! hahahaha BE CAREFUL!!!!!
Aug 05, 2004, 08:12 AM
KRC
KRC
Here are some low pass pics of my Arado maiden flight. I am using a j250 motor, B gearing, and a 9x7 prop. On the first flight I used a 2 cell pack, on the second flight I used a 3 cell pack.

I plan on experimenting with gear/prop combinations to try to get even more speed out of it, but I am pushing the limits of the j250. After I max out on the j250, I'll give brushless a try.

Thanks to JoeCrasher for taking the pics.

Ken
Aug 05, 2004, 08:17 AM
Crash Master
Great pictures!

The hot combination that Jerbear has come up with, and we are running in leu of direct drive is a 2S ratio, running a 7x5 or 7x6 prop on 2 cells. The static amps are around 7a, but in-flight unloading obviously reduces that, and the motors are just warm. You might want to give it a try....
Aug 05, 2004, 08:20 AM
Trying to defy gravity...
Thread OP
Very nice. It looks like you have a pilot/canopy there...what did you use?

I really do enjoy flying mine, I'm still running a J250, "B" ratio with a 9070 on a 2 cell lipo. But a bit more thrust for the climbs and more top end sure would be fun.

Brushless....yes I've given it some thought.

Jimsky
Aug 05, 2004, 09:36 AM
KRC
KRC
Gene Bond,

Thanks for the setup. I'll give the 2S a go and see how it performs compared to what I am running now.

Jimsky,

That's my battery pack that you see on top. I wasn't really keen on the idea of mounting it under or inside the fuse.

Ken
Aug 06, 2004, 08:19 AM
gpw
gpw
Gosh!!! You guys are going speeds I never dreamed of ....and I thought the dcm-189/C/10x6/2c1200lipo was hot ....that's gotta' be like a shopping cart to what you guys are doing ....AMAZING!!!!! Brushless would be the thing ......for going into orbit really fast.....hahahahahaha

Quick Reply