Nov 01, 2017, 05:32 PM
1. Most of FrSky receivers will give you full range. I think there were few micro ones targeted for quads that had slightly less range. I only use X6R, X8R and had no issues. I also have L9R, and oh boy, it gives you way more range, but no telemetry (not an issue if you fly FPV with an OSD. Use the SX series receivers if you want basic stabilisation.
In any of those use pcb antennas.
However.... fist of all change the stock short antenna! I went through 2 and all of them are $%^%... Use standard 2dB or 5dB instead. The stock coil loaded antenna is qute sensitive to temperatures and has a poor SWR. Correct me if I am the only unlucky one with the stock antennas? (Min SWR for me was 16 on a good day...) After change to immersion rc 2.4 rubber ducky its back to 0 or 1 SWR)

2. Yes, you can. You might need a short extension to guide antenna to one of existing space holes in the case.

3. Okay, you can do that. Though I would very strongly recommend OpenTX 2.2.0 and gimbals upgrade. Stock ones ware out quite quickly. Software updates are really easy and straight forward. Anyway, when you set up model for a first time the process is very user friendly and simple. If you need to correct anything just go to mixers page later.

4. I am looking for a good LiPl solution as well, but no luck so far. Without some cutting and soldering there does not seem to be a good alternative. For now I plan to get XT60 on a side under palm rest together with balance lead. Bot for now I am too lazy to do it as I want to make it nicely. If anyone else knows better option please let me know.
Stock battery lasts about 6 to 8h of power on time for me.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2017, 04:23 AM
Futaba new T16sz (the one with tauch screen) have flight condition. More expensive then x9e. but you can use all your old 2.4g Futaba receiver.
Since you already buy x9e, welcome!

Futaba 16SZ Conditions Select, Add, and Rename: Tips & How To’s (12 min 5 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero12 View Post
HELP !!!

One of the main reasons I am switching from Futaba to Frsky is for the ability to have flight condition capabilities. I want to be able to go from one control surface rate to another just by moving the sticks past a certain set point by me rather than flipping a switch back and forth.

Thank you for all your help and insight !!
Nov 02, 2017, 07:57 AM
Quote:
HELP !!!

Ok, I had a couple questions a few months back in regards to the X9E, and I apologize if I am asking the same questions again... I just do not have the time to look back through all the posts to find what I am looking for.....

In Reference to the X9-E

1) What receiver does one recommend for " Full Range " ie: Quarter Scale Aerobatic bird, F3A Pattern Plane, EDF JET, etc.......
2) I notice that the X9E has a module port inside to use a modual if I choose to. Can I put a Futaba Module in the TX and go back and forth from Futaba and Frsky modulation without taking the module in and out ?
3) I do not wish to delve into the vast over my head of Open TX programming, and or updating so I will be using the transmitter with the default settings, and protocols. I have been told this would be ok, and other than upgrades and etc it will not be necessary for me to update firmware... Is this correct ?
4) Does anyone know of a drop in " Lipo " replacement for the stock TX pack ? Although I understand with this being said, I would need to remove the back every time I charge to balance the pack, or etc.... I am worried the stock nimh pack will not be very sufficient time wise.....

One of the main reasons I am switching from Futaba to Frsky is for the ability to have flight condition capabilities. I want to be able to go from one control surface rate to another just by moving the sticks past a certain set point by me rather than flipping a switch back and forth.

Thank you for all your help and insight !!
if I understand correctly you are looking for something like stepped Expo instead of gradually increasing, as the stick moves from centre?
There is more than one way to do something like that. Using a Curve might be the easiest way.
Tom
Nov 02, 2017, 08:26 AM
Pattern Mstr
All, thank you for your help so far... The reason I am going to the X9E versus Futaba is the capabilities the radio has without the price tag of the Futaba. Also I fly with a tray anyways, so the x9E will fit the bill without having a seperate tray. Now, with the Flight Condition issue... I really cant have it be on an expo curve due to the mauvers that I will be flying when I use this feature. I will need to be able to go into a snap and come right back to my normal flying rate without having an expo curve. I just want to be able to set a point on my normal flying rate condition to where once I puch the sticks past a vertain point they will automatically go to full deflection and back without a switch being flipped.
Nov 02, 2017, 11:15 AM
Quote:
All, thank you for your help so far... The reason I am going to the X9E versus Futaba is the capabilities the radio has without the price tag of the Futaba. Also I fly with a tray anyways, so the x9E will fit the bill without having a seperate tray. Now, with the Flight Condition issue... I really cant have it be on an expo curve due to the mauvers that I will be flying when I use this feature. I will need to be able to go into a snap and come right back to my normal flying rate without having an expo curve. I just want to be able to set a point on my normal flying rate condition to where once I puch the sticks past a vertain point they will automatically go to full deflection and back without a switch being flipped.
Do you want them to stay there whilst the stick is past the point?
If so it is still possible to do it with a curve.
images below show, using Companion, Elevator working using Logic Switches and Ailerons using a curve. I have used 50% as the change over, but that can be changed to whatever you want.
If you want it so that moving the stick past the point in just one plane sends both surfaces to extremes, let me know and I can show a suitable setup.
Tom
Edit Corrected error in mixes. One line in Ele was shown as add but should have been replace.
Last edited by Tomkfly; Nov 02, 2017 at 01:04 PM.
Nov 02, 2017, 12:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
1) What receiver does one recommend for " Full Range " ie: Quarter Scale Aerobatic bird, F3A Pattern Plane, EDF JET, etc.......
2) I notice that the X9E has a module port inside to use a modual if I choose to. Can I put a Futaba Module in the TX and go back and forth from Futaba and Frsky modulation without taking the module in and out ?
3) I do not wish to delve into the vast over my head of Open TX programming, and or updating so I will be using the transmitter with the default settings, and protocols. I have been told this would be ok, and other than upgrades and etc it will not be necessary for me to update firmware... Is this correct ?
4) Does anyone know of a drop in " Lipo " replacement for the stock TX pack ? Although I understand with this being said, I would need to remove the back every time I charge to balance the pack, or etc.... I am worried the stock nimh pack will not be very sufficient time wise.....
1 - Most folks fly the X8R for that application.

2 - Yes, you can do this, but good luck finding that module. I tried to import some a while back and was not able to find anyone that had them, and if they did, they are very expensive. Futaba never sold the module in the USA that I am aware of.

3 - You are fine, no need to update the firmware.

4 - We offer a larger capacity battery for the X9E: https://alofthobbies.com/radio/tx-gear/x9e-parts.html I think you will find it gives you plenty of radio up time for a full week of flying. The simplicity of charging the NiMH in the X9E really makes sense, the charge system turns off when the battery is full, so no worries about over charging. The LSD cells in our upgraded pack will hold a charge for about 1 year.

Hope this helps.
Nov 09, 2017, 03:03 PM
This is a, "does anybody know question". I have been trying to figure out how to use the momentary switch on the X9e as an on/off switch. Any ideas?
Nov 09, 2017, 03:34 PM
Flip on Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganLR View Post
This is a, "does anybody know question". I have been trying to figure out how to use the momentary switch on the X9e as an on/off switch. Any ideas?
Setup in Logical Switches:
Function: Sticky
V1: SH
V2: SH

Then assign a channel in Mixer

Good luck.
Nov 09, 2017, 03:48 PM
Pattern Mstr
This is another " Does anybody Know " Question as well......

Just took delivery of my X9E Yesterday. With everything this transmitter does, I can not believe it does not have the ability to perform dual rates, and expos like any other basic transmitter. What am I missing ? I am hopping there is something I am not seeing, or etc..... Thanks !!
Nov 09, 2017, 04:04 PM
Carbo (-nator) ;-)
Quote:
I am hopping there is something I am not seeing, or etc.....

OpenTX manual?
It is for OpenTX2.2, but 2.1 is similar.
Nov 09, 2017, 08:27 PM
Quote:
I can not believe it does not have the ability to perform dual rates, and expos like any other basic transmitter. What am I missing ?
You haven't missed anything - dual rates are just so last century! How about triple, or sextuple rates? Or none at all - by wrapping them in flight modes? Same for expo...
Just like any other basic transmitter - not
Nov 09, 2017, 08:56 PM
FA3PR9WM79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeshellim View Post
You haven't missed anything - dual rates are just so last century! How about triple, or sextuple rates? Or none at all - by wrapping them in flight modes? Same for expo...
Just like any other basic transmitter - not
Yep. We're not in Kansas any more Dorothy.
Nov 09, 2017, 09:09 PM
Pattern Mstr
Ok gentleman. When I would set up one of my competition pattern birds using my Futaba, Jr, or Airtronics I could set up dual rates, expos on each, and a throttle elevator mix in about 5-7 min. I am hopping I can do the same with this great radio without going through a million pages of screen, or plugging it into my laptop.
Nov 09, 2017, 10:07 PM
If you expect to go from a position of no knowledge to get the end result you want in 5 minutes without investing any of your time understanding how the radio works, sadly, you made a wrong purchase decision.

Once you do have an understanding however you would be able to achieve your objective in that sort of timeframe using either one or two screens on the radio (depends on method) and no computer. But, as Mike has said, you would likely choose to do a lot more than you seem to do now.
Nov 10, 2017, 02:50 AM
This i the simple Dual Rate you are asking for.

Quick Reply