FrSky X9E-- The budget friendly tray radio! - Page 3 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Aug 20, 2015, 06:27 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by benedikt
My dictionary say "budget-friendly".
My wife doesn't agree though..
Given the various versions of English around the world, I suspect all variations are correct somewhere and wrong somewhere.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 20, 2015, 06:29 PM
S.A.D. member
ivanc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by benedikt
My dictionary say "budget-friendly".
My wife doesn't agree though..
But her shoes and clothes are "budget friendly", right?

My wife and I have come to a silent agreement - she does not tell me I don't need my stuff, I don't tell her she does not need hers - we buy what we can afford and live happily ever after. (the kids are grown and live on their own, yeah!)
Aug 20, 2015, 06:33 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huelster
I am very glad the harness is working for you. When you were having second thoughts I said you should really try it because it very well might work fine for you. How the transmitter is positioned to ones body is a very individual specific issue. Even if it did not work fine for you, I was confident there were plenty of interim and long term fixes, none of which diminished significantly the value of the Taranis E in my opinion.
I expect many folks will find it just fine. Mine hangs down at a comfortable angle.
Aug 20, 2015, 07:04 PM
Registered User
Quick question on binding with the X9E. I am ordering a DM9 spektrum module and I know that it has to be taken apart in order to install it inside the radio. When it comes time to bind the radio, can I use the bind option in the menu on the radio or does it have to be manually bound? Thanks
Aug 20, 2015, 07:09 PM
Whoop the planet!
benedikt's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
But her shoes and clothes are "budget friendly", right?



My wife and I have come to a silent agreement - she does not tell me I don't need my stuff, I don't tell her she does not need hers - we buy what we can afford and live happily ever after. (the kids are grown and live on their own, yeah!)

Since my hobby started to pay for the shoes, the arguments stopped

On another note, I just had an idea to solve my binding dilemma with an "external" module. Since I can't press the bind button when the module is mounted internally, I plan to cut the plug off a spare trainer switch and solder that to the modules bind button. Any problems to be expected?
Then some tinfoil to stop the speaker from buzzing.
Last thing I need is a SMA extension. Someone has a good source?
Latest blog entry: this is the Micro Motor Museum!
Aug 20, 2015, 07:10 PM
Suspended Account
I used an orange with my Taranis A, and it was bound at the module. I suspect this to be the same.
Aug 20, 2015, 07:38 PM
Whoop the planet!
benedikt's Avatar
Right. But on the X9E, the module is not exposed, so you can't get to the button. I live by the principle "a quad a day keeps the doctor away", so I need that bind button frequently.
I was considering to unpack my complete receiver stock and bind them all before closing the case. But the problem is that some of the receivers use a different protocol variant, so they need to be re-bound (or modes cycled on the module) when I jump between models.
Latest blog entry: this is the Micro Motor Museum!
Aug 20, 2015, 07:44 PM
Registered User
So if the module has a bind button, then the button has to be used. I guess modifying the back cover to a certain degree would have to be made unless the bind button is modded to a switch. Or pull the back cover off as needed to bind? Thanks
Aug 20, 2015, 08:25 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinstaller
So if the module has a bind button, then the button has to be used. I guess modifying the back cover to a certain degree would have to be made unless the bind button is modded to a switch. Or pull the back cover off as needed to bind? Thanks
I had not come to that point, assumed I would drill a hole in the rear cover, but really like the idea of modifing to use a switch. Should not be very difficult to solder in a connection and route to a new switch installed in one of the open switch ports. I like it! Great idea!
Aug 20, 2015, 09:13 PM
Registered User
That sounds like a good idea also. This is all new to me. I was following the original pre-production post and after a-loft had the first batch in stock I picked one up. I want to get into some type of airplane (yes, I said want to get into) and was going to get a spektrum radio and then I found this forum. After I read everything about the existing taranis radio and the anticipation of what was coming out, I decided to go with the X9E. I am looking forward to the options that this radio will give me as I learn it a step at a time. I am also glad that the original post was split out. As a newbie to the forum and taranis, now that the radio is out, it might be easier to have posts specific to "ergonomics" and new found issues. Thanks again for the input.
Aug 20, 2015, 11:04 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinstaller
That sounds like a good idea also. This is all new to me. I was following the original pre-production post and after a-loft had the first batch in stock I picked one up. I want to get into some type of airplane (yes, I said want to get into) and was going to get a spektrum radio and then I found this forum. After I read everything about the existing taranis radio and the anticipation of what was coming out, I decided to go with the X9E. I am looking forward to the options that this radio will give me as I learn it a step at a time. I am also glad that the original post was split out. As a newbie to the forum and taranis, now that the radio is out, it might be easier to have posts specific to "ergonomics" and new found issues. Thanks again for the input.
If you are starting out I think you will find a huge pool of people who will be ready to help. Lots of opinions on nearly everything, frequently conflicting, some really bad ones, even hazardous. Get a good instructor, someone you can work with makes a world of difference.

The Taranis plus and the new E are both great radios. You have done well. I hope you find an instructor that has adopted one of these fine radios as well. That will help.

From the last thread the ergonomics issues were driving most of discussion and most of the perceived negativity, certainly most of the conflict. On the other hand I view them as some of the most important of issues and most difficult for each pilot to get right for themselves. Again lots of opinions, frequently conflicting. Trust what feels right. If a position is not comfortable, natural, and almost effortless to sustain, it most likely is wrong for you. Never tolerate anyone telling you to get used to it. You should not settle, you do not have too, lots of solutions exist.

In my case I meet the conditions when I am pinching the sticks wrists lighltly siting on rests, wrist joints nearly straight, forearms horizontal and upper arms vertical, back straight. To achieve this the transmitter needs its face near parallel to the ground to very slightly tilted up, distance to ground at bent elbow height and frequently spaced away from my gut 2 to 3 inches. Your mileage will vary, it just will. Achieving that for me has been tricky but worth it. I can say that about all four radios I have owned, Futaba 6ex, Futaba 8fg, Taranis X9D, and now the Taranis E. While I do not have what I would call a good long term solution for the E, I have a good short term solution. Depending on what Frsky decides to do with the arms, I know the long term solution I will pursue.
Last edited by Huelster; Aug 20, 2015 at 11:58 PM.
Aug 21, 2015, 07:25 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by benedikt
Right. But on the X9E, the module is not exposed, so you can't get to the button. I live by the principle "a quad a day keeps the doctor away", so I need that bind button frequently.
I was considering to unpack my complete receiver stock and bind them all before closing the case. But the problem is that some of the receivers use a different protocol variant, so they need to be re-bound (or modes cycled on the module) when I jump between models.
Connecting the module to a switch is a really good idea rather than drilling a hole in the case. I think for those with a need to switch modules, not me, it would seem the best solution is a quick opening back or cut a hole in the rear cover and essentially make a external module port.
Aug 21, 2015, 07:29 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by benedikt
Since my hobby started to pay for the shoes, the arguments stopped

On another note, I just had an idea to solve my binding dilemma with an "external" module. Since I can't press the bind button when the module is mounted internally, I plan to cut the plug off a spare trainer switch and solder that to the modules bind button. Any problems to be expected?
Then some tinfoil to stop the speaker from buzzing.
Last thing I need is a SMA extension. Someone has a good source?
Can not think of any reason this would not work. Have you used "tin foil" previously to isolate other parts of a radio from RF? If so how completely did you have to cover the module?

Just curious but how did your hobby pay for the shoes?
Aug 21, 2015, 08:20 AM
Suspended Account
Anyway, though I have yet to fly with this thing I continue working with it. I use my Tarania A quite often but have not set up a new model since last Summer when I bought a Graupner MC 24.

The E, though a tray radio, compares quite favorably to the Graupner. The sticks have a similar feel though the switches are crisper. The Graupner has a huge, touch color screen, which near disappears in sunlight, but I rely on voice telemetry. The E color screen is very nice but also disappears outside, where I expect to use voice telemetry.

So far, the whole harness thing has proven a tempest in a teapot for me, but I'm not going further with it until I hear back on the clock issue. Speaking of clocks, I really need that resolved to conveniently use my Frsky GPS sensors. I know Wayne will take care of me, I'm just disappointed, but it's a small setback with an otherwise amazing value.

Sum: having not set up a new model in over a year, I'd forgotten many things so this is a great refresher. The voice is easier to understand, and free of noise to my old ears. Subjective/tactile quality is far advanced over my A model. Open TX has soared to new heights! I've got to make another donation. And, finally, the new monochrome screen appears to have much higher resolution. So, again, this product, so far, seems a great bargain and true next step for many Taranis users, even with the harness thingy!

Addendum: I should add that the E telemetry is far superior to that of Graupner in that voice setups are easier, and many can be placed in a repeating loop. Graupner limits it to one value, so, while flying, you must cycle one or more switches to get the desired value.
Last edited by c300; Aug 21, 2015 at 01:30 PM.
Aug 21, 2015, 10:39 AM
Registered User
For those in need to use different modules, a separate tray with a JR module bay would be the perfect solution. Just make a connector on the X9E case with the module bay pins drawn out, and plug in whatever you need. That way one could also easily power the module from an external battery.. Handy for those using UHF