FrSky X9E-- The budget friendly tray radio! - Page 11 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 23, 2015, 12:26 PM

May have found an open-tx bug, need confirmation

I've just added a momentary on-off-on switch as SQ (and set it up in the software accordingly). The switch works as an input, and can even be selected when programming special functions, however the special function will not fire when the switch is selected.

Would someone be willing to move one of their switches to SQ and verify if the same happens for you? I'm on 2.1.1 (non-nightly).
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2015, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by c300
I'm not talking to you, your clock works....

I think the radio design is great, just a bit short on fabrication.
Well two can play that game.
Aug 23, 2015, 01:31 PM
Suspended Account
So, do you recommend that harness thingy over the stock version?

In for a penny, in for a pound....
Aug 23, 2015, 02:18 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tellurian
Consider the cap as being a tiny low capacity battery that keeps every thing powered up while other things happen. The bigger the battery or capacitor the longer it can last. A battery however will eventually die but a capacitor is good for the life of the radio if its tolerances are not exceeded.

If FrSky is willing to do this with all radios as Wayne reported then I'd not be too concerned. Caveat; There is always the unexpected contingency which is what the second GitHub thread is about, the point though is that there are people looking at that possibility.

I've been on the short end of the stick for a while too. Murphy is in my shadow so I understand your trepidation. Mike mentioned some code that might help solve this, you may want to keep an eye out for any new OpenTx releases as an alternative.

Richard
Is your cap mod still producing perfect results, post charge or not?

Thanks
Aug 23, 2015, 02:39 PM
Quote:
So, do you recommend that harness thingy over the stock version?

In for a penny, in for a pound....
I really like the Revoc harness over the harness that came with the E. On the other hand I could not get the stock harness to place the transmitter where I wanted it, so I was motivated. Even with the Revoc I could not use the snaps and short snaps. Had to use 5lb s biners directly from arms to harness rings to get in short enough. It worked and it is pretty comfortable to me compared to stock. Certainly was easier to get into for me.
Aug 23, 2015, 02:47 PM
Suspended Account
Thanks. I'll pick one up if I replace this radio. I'm afraid the guys at my field will laugh when I put on the stock version!

Wayne, if you are reading, are we ready?

If so, I need to include the better harness thingy, too.

Thanks
Aug 23, 2015, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Thanks. I'll pick one up if I replace this radio. I'm afraid the guys at my field will laugh when I put on the stock version!

Wayne, if you are reading, are we ready?

If so, I need to include the better harness thingy, too.

Thanks
Have not gotten too much of that so far but I tend to fly when few people are there, not to avoid laughter.

As we have 85% thumb flyers, and maybe 5% are pinch flyers without tray at my club, that leaves 10 as tray pinch flyers. All of those except me fly with hard tray supports, no straps or harness. So I was already an odd duck. Then I got a Taranis which made me even more odd. And now I have the only tray style radio at my club. So I think all the laughing has worked itself out already. I should add no one has laughed at the E. Most have ignored it or given the wow how much was that kind of responce.

Well the Revoc does not have a belly strap so that is less funny looking.
Last edited by Huelster; Aug 23, 2015 at 03:36 PM.
Aug 23, 2015, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marswolf
So today was the maiden flight of my new electric glider and the brand new X9E.
I love the possibilities of OpenTX and all the mixers. Also the setup for a glider is great. The radio is really nice but I have an issue with range. When I fly about 300-400m away the RSSI drops under 45 . Also with the range check option I can only go 30m away and the RSSI drops under 20. If I turn around (stomach between X8R and X9E) I loose completely the connection).
I use the EU firmware on X9E and X8R. Is there maybe an option to activate to extend range? The antenna seems so short of the X9E. Maybe this has something to do? Any suggestions welcome. Cheers! Marcel!
I too had the problem that RSSI was very low, even with the transmitter about 1m around the receiver. And the connection was lost when I went about 50 meters away.

Do you have a low RSSI (under 70 dB) from the beginning or just when you are walking away?

I copied the models from the Taranis to the X9E. My problem was that with copying the models I copied also the setting that on some models the external transmitter module has been activated because I used the wireless trainer connection and the "external module" was set to PPM, which powers the external module.

In the X9E I installed a XJT module. So the PPM setting powered the XJT module and it disturbed the internal module.
After deacivating the external module (from PPM to OFF) the problem was solved.

That is a very rare case for the problem, but maybe it helps someone.
Aug 23, 2015, 06:25 PM
Is there any difference between the contents of the SD card on the X9E and the other Taranis transmitters? I managed to lose my card from my X9E and I've bought a replacement card and want to load it properly. I've downloaded the My SDcard zip file but before I load it I thought I'd check.
Aug 23, 2015, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Is your cap mod still producing perfect results, post charge or not?

Thanks
I jacked it in 3 times prior to today but the battery was mostly charged. Out flying today and drained only to 10.4v. I would like to let it sit and drain a little more or just put it on the discharge mode of my exterior charger [Dymond Super Turdo ] and see what happens. Either way I'll let you know tomorrow though I have no doubt it will be ok.

dinamich Has a test ref. post 138 you could try if your ok with flashing the Tx, don't do it if your not.

Richard

Ps. the SWR is good in the range of 1-52 and the radio will refuse to transmit above 52 so 17 is fine.
Aug 23, 2015, 07:12 PM
Suspended Account
Thanks, T!
Aug 23, 2015, 11:52 PM
My Taranis Plus is completely dead, Thinking about upgrading to the X9E but I have 2 questions.

1. Is a tray required? I don't see a hook for a strap on the radio.

2. Does it still use the plastic cross beams for the gimbals, or did they finally put metal cross beams on the new improved gimbals?
Aug 24, 2015, 12:28 AM
Sir Tim Rowledge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman841
My Taranis Plus is completely dead, Thinking about upgrading to the X9E but I have 2 questions.

No, it is a tray. You could stick it in another tray if you feel the need to complicate life. It has fold out arms, albeit ones that a few people appear not to like. So far I'm fine with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman841
2. Does it still use the plastic cross beams for the gimbals, or did they finally put metal cross beams on the new improved gimbals?
No they're still plastic and still perfectly fine by me.
Aug 24, 2015, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeg
Is there any difference between the contents of the SD card on the X9E and the other Taranis transmitters? I managed to lose my card from my X9E and I've bought a replacement card and want to load it properly. I've downloaded the My SDcard zip file but before I load it I thought I'd check.
I have used the SD card data from my X9E on my old Taranis without any problems, so it probably works both ways. I have a zipped version of my SD card which I can send you a link to if you need it. PM me.
Aug 24, 2015, 04:42 AM
Quote:

The gimbals in the X9E are a MASSIVE improvement and although they still use plastic cross beams they are much beefier. One thing to note, the left and right stick assemblies are different so to change mode you have to swap the assemblies round (it is very easy to do)