FrSky X9E-- The budget friendly tray radio! - RC Groups
Aug 20, 2015, 01:15 PM
Discussion

FrSky X9E-- The budget friendly tray radio!

First off, a little about the radio. The X9E or Taranis E is very closely related to the Taranis Plus (X9D) that you all have heard so much about. It has all of the same features and abilities.

This is a 16 channel radio (expandable to 32) with FULL telemetry, speech, and the ability to mix or do just about anything you can think of.

The amazing OpenTX firmware that the X9E runs on is the heart that gives this beast so much power. While it can be complex to learn at first, most people that use OpenTX comment that they would never go back to a menu driven radio.

OK - So what is different from the normal Taranis? Well, FrSky has improved gimbals. There are more switches and more pots, and a nice new OLED color screen at the top to display key telemetry data. The X9E also features Bluetooth connectivity for data.

Otherwise it is a new case setup for the tray flying style. Some have complained about the swing out arms on the X9E, so currently FrSky is taking a close look at these.

-Wayne
Last edited by Rotozuk; Aug 20, 2015 at 05:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 20, 2015, 01:15 PM
reserved for future notes.

This thread is a continuation from the earlier thread that had a lot of pre-release info. It can be found here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2398179

This thread is a fresh one that I hope will help everyone out.
Last edited by Rotozuk; Aug 20, 2015 at 01:24 PM.
Aug 20, 2015, 01:28 PM
Suspended Account
Wayne, can I try replacing the rtc bat without voiding my warranty? The reset is a pain. Thanks.
Aug 20, 2015, 01:33 PM
In the old thread it was asked if installing a new CR1220 battery to fix a clock issue would void the warranty, no it will not at Aloft Hobbies.

We are very open minded with our warranty. We expect our customers to play around inside the radios. If you modify a part, that part will no longer be under the warranty, but the rest of the radio is. (changing a stock part for another stock part is not a modification.)

Hope this helps.

-Wayne

p.s. I have asked FrSky for details on the new arms, etc. Should have something to report soon.
Aug 20, 2015, 01:38 PM
Suspended Account
Thanks. I'll report back with a fresh battery.

Man, this is a wonderful radio!
Aug 20, 2015, 02:03 PM
LOL

I have ordered up some Energizer CR1220 cells. If you can wait a couple of days I can mail you one.

-Wayne
Aug 20, 2015, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by c300
Thanks. I'll report back with a fresh battery.

Man, this is a wonderful radio!
It was good to hear that the bat change fixed the problem for some, that should be pretty easy. That is what I remembered before I looked on github this morning. Trying to figure out why info on github said capacitor but........ Thanks for the info on how the RTC issue was affecting you. I had not thought about that using lodged GPS to proove you were not overflying something. Very good idea.

I agree, the Taranis E is a wonderful radio.
Last edited by Huelster; Aug 20, 2015 at 02:46 PM.
Aug 20, 2015, 02:56 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
LOL

I have ordered up some Energizer CR1220 cells. If you can wait a couple of days I can mail you one.

-Wayne
Well a new battery did not fix it. Pic of old bat attached showing full charge. Help!
Aug 20, 2015, 02:59 PM
I like the new thread title. The Taranis E is the budget friendly tray radio. And not just the radio, receivers, telemetry sensors, you name it. And reliable, I started with a Taranis D, equipped four planes with main bat voltage, current, variometer sensors all from Frsky, and airspeed sensors from N2 industries. Absolutely no problems with anything.
Aug 20, 2015, 03:02 PM
Suspended Account
Other than the early gimbal issue, this is the only problem for me, ever, and I use lots of sensors, too!
Aug 20, 2015, 03:14 PM
Suspended Account
Well, Wayne, mine resets every cycle now, charger or not. So, I've gone backwards!

I suspect it is either mechanical, in that the battery carrier is defectively fabricated, or some electronic component.

Jeez, it would be me!
Aug 20, 2015, 03:23 PM
Suspended Account
Er, Wayne, per my e mail, I'll gladly exchange this one for a Nib, non-reconditioned one and ask for quick shipment and a charge to my credit card, removed when you get this one back.

If it helps, I believe I was among the first 100 to buy the A!
Aug 20, 2015, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Well, Wayne, mine resets every cycle now, charger or not. So, I've gone backwards!

I suspect it is either mechanical, in that the battery carrier is defectively fabricated, or some electronic component.

Jeez, it would be me!
Try pressing the battery firmly into the holder after it appears set.
Aug 20, 2015, 03:27 PM
Suspended Account
Yes, thanks, I cleaned the contacts and did this. Maybe I'm inept but there it is....;(
Aug 20, 2015, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Other than the early gimbal issue, this is the only problem for me, ever, and I use lots of sensors, too!
It was funny, but the man who was my flight instructor was at our field a few days ago while I was there and asked what was new. I showed him my new E. I gave him brief overview. He is a dedicated high end Futaba guy which is why I started with Futaba. He shook his head and said how can they do that for that price. He was impressed. A couple of others have been as well. I know at least two people at our club are flying with Taranis plus radios because of what I showed them and then their own research.