This thread is privately moderated by smoothvirus, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 19, 2015, 10:51 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Tips For Long Range FPV Flight

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....g-range-flying
Quote:
1) Make incremental increases in flight distance, 1 mile, 2 miles, 3 miles

2) Do 360 degree turns intermittently to check your video and control link against changes in polarization

3) Fly into the wind on the way out, glide back with the wind

4) Maintain a 10:1 altitude ratio (500ft to 1 mile away) to avoid Fresnel Zone violations

5) Plan your flight on google maps beforehand to get a feeling for the area

6) Set a clear goal and fly to it and back, donít detour, stick to the plan

7) Fly in a place where you can recover your aircraft should it go down

8) Get comfortable! Be prepared for anything including a bathroom break

9) Donít push through interference, better to come back and refine your setup instead of losing an aircraft

10) Static happens, keep calm and donít jerk the controls

11) Stay level in the turns to maintain polarization

12) Long range is in your head. A trusted aircraft will go as far as your control/video

13) Turn around when you start to see snow, get control glitches, hit your battery limit, or hit your goal

14) Record your flights with a DVR. Even if you donít lose your plane it can be helpful for diagnosing problems in the air

15) If possible, fly along a long stretch of road. Use it as a reference, and use it to drive to your aircraft should it go down

16) When testing battery constraints fly out Ĺ mile and back until the pack is dead. This should give a real world test of your power setup

17) To test your control link point the null of your transmitter antenna at the plane. Fly until a failsafe, your usable range is greater than 5 times that distance. (IE failsafe at 1 miles means 5+ miles of useable range)

18) Move your CG back for long range cruising. This will let you reduce reflex on your control surfaces, thus reducing drag.

19) Put your contact info on your plane

20) Preflight is essential(check everything including your underwear), if something is not 100% don't fly.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2015, 10:52 AM
Thread OP

Example videos of failed long range FPV missions - learn from this!

Here are two examples of where poor planning resulted in a crash.

#1 - Failed to plan for weather - An attempt at a 20 mile flight with a Skyhunter fails when high tailwinds start up about halfway through the flight. Instead of aborting and heading back the pilot pushes on until he's 22 miles out. However because of the high winds the flight time required for return exceeds his battery life and he's forced to crash land 5 miles away. This is actually a really entertaining video!

20 40 Mile Attempt with Epic Crash and Recovery Ft Spec Uav Lotus 1280 (17 min 43 sec)

#2 - Failed to plan for flight time - Here a MyTwinDream makes a 100km flight out and back, apparently autonomously. However the pilots failed to realize that by the time the plane returned to home, it would be after sunset and with no lights on the plane, and an unlit runway, they have no way to land.

MyTwinDream 100km out and back (16 min 49 sec)

Here's an example of where relying too heavily on RTH resulted in a crash.

In this flight the pilot reaches his destination on the other side of a nature preserve. However, his OSD/autopilot experiences an error and locks up in flight. Instead of relying on pilotage skills to get home he was trusting the RTH function to fly back, which now no longer works. He gets lost and circles aimlessly until the batteries run out of charge and he crashes.

SkySurfer Final Flight: Storm OSD failure (0 min 0 sec)

The point here is not to slam on the pilots; every example shown here is an honest mistake. I learned a lot from watching these videos about the kinds of things that can bring a long range mission to an unsuccessful end.

I have a set of flight planning tools on my smart phone that is meant for full scale aviation but they work just as well for long range FPV. This is just an example as I'm sure there are other flight planning tools out there: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aero...425385924?mt=8
Aug 19, 2015, 10:17 PM
Waste Nothing
Thanx for posting this stuff . I am just getting into the FPV flying and will be printing off a copy of your checklist as a reminder pre-flight . I am not planning to do any long range flying as you do but more for park / back yard racing around . Great tips shown in the videos .
Latest blog entry: Filament Fridge ?
Aug 25, 2015, 08:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC_RCAV8R
Thanx for posting this stuff . I am just getting into the FPV flying and will be printing off a copy of your checklist as a reminder pre-flight . I am not planning to do any long range flying as you do but more for park / back yard racing around . Great tips shown in the videos .
Thanks, happy to share.

All of the long range stuff I've done so far would be tiny hops compared to the flights in the first two of those videos.
Mar 08, 2017, 09:51 PM
Thread OP
This is a long video at an hour and a half but the pilot narrates everything throughout the whole flight. Personally, I would have turned back if I had lost camera video like he did but I don't have the giant brass balls pompecukor has! There is a lot to learn from this video:

264km FPV record (132km out and back) (1 hr 29 min 14 sec)
Mar 10, 2017, 05:52 PM
Thread OP
And here's an example where a pilot experiences an ESC failure while flying BVLOS and thanks to some excellent flying and a little luck brings the plane all the way back to the runway, intact.

Mini Talon Down?! (Made it home safe) (13 min 9 sec)
Mar 24, 2017, 09:41 AM
Thread OP
Advice from ecalc.ch on setting up a long range aircraft:

Quote:
"hi,

for endurance fixed wing concentrate on
- low all up weight
- use a low drag airplane
- the best range is around cruising speed of 1.2...1.5 x stall speed
- optimize the drive for a pitch speed of about 10-20% higher than cruising speed (see partial load table)

cheers
Lg Markus
Oct 27, 2017, 03:59 PM
Thread OP
FPV Podcast #97 - Alex Greve - Long Range Flying (1 hr 58 min 51 sec)

Quick Reply