FPV flying and Quad Racing - RC Groups
Aug 19, 2015, 07:13 AM
Head NEAT geek
Alert

FPV flying and Quad Racing

Ladies and Gentlemen.

Though we will be allowing fixed wing FPV flying (on the main and slow flyer flight line only), it will only be allowed before 9am and after 1:30PM. There will be NO FPV flying of helicopter or multi-rotor vehicles at the rotorcraft flight line on the far left (north end of the field) at anytime. Site map will be posted in a separate thread soon.

Here are the rules for fixed wing FPV flying.

flying times:
daybreak to 9am, 1:30PM until dusk.

flying conduct:
COMPETENT FPV fliers only. We will be the judge of competency and there will be no discussion if we ask you to land or hand off!

FPV pilots MUST bring out 2 spotters. One to watch the FPV AIRCRAFT at all times and be competent enough to take over flying from the FPV pilot if required and a second spotter to watch ALL the other traffic on the field.

No more than 2 in the air at a time at either the main flight line or the Slow Flyer flight line.

When flying low (below 200ft) you must fly the accepted pattern.

ALL FPV pilots will refrain from turning on ANY video transmitter (the plane!) except when ready to fly. NO testing in the pits at ANY time!

Thanks
The NEAT Fair rules committee (Me!)
Last edited by Tom Hunt; Aug 19, 2015 at 07:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2015, 07:18 AM
Head NEAT geek

Quad Racing

This year we will be setting up a new flightline well to the north of field near the quarry for COMPETENT quad racers. This will be run by SEFLI expert pilot Rick Cascella. Any questions about this event that will take place from 9am to noon on fri/sat/sun should be addressed to rickc2009@live.com.

during this time ALL FPV pilots should refrain from turning on ANY video transmitter anywhere on the property.

Rick and his crew will also do a demo at lunchtime on all days of the show.
Last edited by Tom Hunt; Aug 19, 2015 at 07:30 AM.
Aug 19, 2015, 07:52 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Does this mean there will be some sort of FPV Video frequency management at the main line?
Latest blog entry: BluFO-XL review by Tim...
Aug 19, 2015, 08:28 AM
Head NEAT geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
Does this mean there will be some sort of FPV Video frequency management at the main line?
not really. The best idea is to turn on the goggles first and look for a video, if you see one, don't fly and DON'T turn on your TX!! We will however get my flight line bosses to call down to the other area and tell them that someone is about to fly on a specific frequency. We have found that only channels1,3,5 and 7 can only be used on Fatshark and even that some bleed over can results using every other one if two guys are on top of one another.
Aug 19, 2015, 10:23 AM
Looks like a good way to accommodate a new and popular segment of the hobby Tom.
Aug 19, 2015, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss
Looks like a good way to accommodate a new and popular segment of the hobby Tom.
I totally agree. Although I currently don't fly FPV I'm very interested in checking this out. I'll also let our members know as we have a number of guys who fly FPV quads who would not have thought to check out NEAT.

Rob
Aug 19, 2015, 11:17 AM
Pro Bro #1008
So basically, there are so many boo-boo's with quads, that it is so unsafe now-a-day's, that you have to make up these crazy rules..?

I certainly understand, as there seems to be an issue in the news everyday where some idiot jeopardizes the entire hobby!

The term "competency" is certainly the key to all of this..

Good luck, and I hope the event is perfect sir!
Aug 19, 2015, 12:00 PM
Head NEAT geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie_in_texas
So basically, there are so many boo-boo's with quads, that it is so unsafe now-a-day's, that you have to make up these crazy rules..?

I certainly understand, as there seems to be an issue in the news everyday where some idiot jeopardizes the entire hobby!

The term "competency" is certainly the key to all of this..

Good luck, and I hope the event is perfect sir!
huh... those rules are not for the quads.... it's for the fixed wing fliers.... and it is aligned with AMA guidelines.

as far as quad racing... we know there are no rules!
Aug 19, 2015, 07:46 PM
I'm glad you're trying to fit them in, Tom. If the first shot works, great. If it doesn't, I know you'll adjust and try to adapt.

CD
Aug 19, 2015, 09:53 PM
Heli Addict
Yay for mini quad madness at neat!!!

After all the nonsense with these local clubs banning multis and fpv Im really glad I joined sefli all those years ago. Thank you Tom for including us at neat and at SEFLI

Alex
Latest blog entry: Easter tree hunting Coram NY
Aug 20, 2015, 07:08 AM
Head NEAT geek
Thanks Alex

but in a venue such as NEAT, the only two things to consider is safety and Arnold! and he gave us his blessing and I 'm sure Rick will keep it safe.

Tom
Aug 20, 2015, 01:09 PM
Head NEAT geek

FPV Quad racing rules

From Rick:

No powering up of any vtx until you are on the flight line and have been cleared for your frequency by an official.

Video transmitter power should be less than 400mw, there will be no long distance flying.

Must be able to access your Video Tx to change channels as needed, we can help with that if your not sure how to change it.

Must be able to fly your multirotor WITHOUT the use of GPS and be able to keep it with in visual site at all times.

Each FPV pilot must have a spotter, which is responsible for making sure the area is clear of people.
Aug 22, 2015, 01:44 AM
I am glad that it has been designated FPV flight line, flying heli and quad FPV, place is a little bit far away from the main flight line, but safety first. This year will be the third, when I will fly my helicopter FPV, and second for my quad.
Last edited by military; Aug 22, 2015 at 01:56 AM.
Aug 22, 2015, 06:35 AM
Head NEAT geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by military
I am glad that it has been designated FPV flight line, flying heli and quad FPV, place is a little bit far away from the main flight line, but safety first. This year will be the third, when I will fly my helicopter FPV, and second for my quad.
I'm sorry,

you are NOT reading this correctly. There iS NO helicopter FPV flying anyhere on the site. there is NO quadcopter FPV flying EXCEPT the racing being done between 9-12. there is NO sport quadcopter flying at the racing site. Sport flying of quads or other mult-rotor aircraft is at the heli site.
Last edited by Tom Hunt; Aug 31, 2015 at 10:21 AM.
Aug 31, 2015, 09:13 AM
Tom,

This might not be the right thread for this question, but it's along the same topic.
Will there be any place for flying multirotor craft? (Not FPV, and not racing.) Just regular flying of (say) 250 or 450 sized quadcopter?

-Pete