GymRipper - Anyone building / built it yet? - RC Groups
Aug 17, 2015, 09:32 PM
Discussion

GymRipper - Anyone building / built it yet?

Hi all,

I'm looking at the BalsaBuilder Mag Gym Ripper as a 1st(ish) balsa build. Has anyone started building one/built one, yet?

I'm tossing up between one of these or the Stevens Aero DiddleBug as a back-up if my Cul-de-sac Flyer turns out as badly as I fear. .I'm not so confident with building yet.

Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2015, 05:38 AM
*crickets*

No-one? I thought it looked like a nice design (not keen on the umx componenets, but..). Guess I'm the only one.

My wife has decided she wants a t-ifo, so I'll put this on the backburner for now and maybe get back to it if I find some ultra-light components.

Back to your no.11 scalpels, gents!
Aug 23, 2015, 10:31 PM
Culper Junior
What's the Gym Ripper look like?
Aug 24, 2015, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
What's the Gym Ripper look like?
http://www.balsabuilder.com/shop/gym...laser-cut-kit/
Aug 24, 2015, 08:34 AM
Culper Junior
Thanks! That's cute. Would be nice at about 50 inch span.
Aug 24, 2015, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
Thanks! That's cute. Would be nice at about 50 inch span.

Agree… not a fan of the "brick" planes.
Aug 25, 2015, 08:30 PM
It's gonna be YUGE!!!
Wow, that's tiny! I've never flown indoors before, would be fun to try it.
Aug 26, 2015, 08:01 AM
I'd love to try it as well. I'm just a bit nervous about trying one as a first build AND I would really like to not pay the ~100 dollars one of the rx/servo units cost.
Aug 26, 2015, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nestor_notabilis
I'd love to try it as well. I'm just a bit nervous about trying one as a first build AND I would really like to not pay the ~100 dollars one of the rx/servo units cost.
You are being silly. The entire premise behind Balsa Builder Magazine is to walk you through your first build and once you have the "brick" the model choices become overwhelming…

https://www.stevensaero.com/Micro-Ra...ne-3352-Based/

http://www.manzanolaser.com/html/new_releases.html
Aug 28, 2015, 03:44 AM
Silly?
Maybe, but would I not need one brick per plane?

The units I've seen don't look like they lend themselves to easy removal. I don't quite have money to spend on more than one brick when I can equip a larger plane for less.

I do understand the premise of BalsaBuilder. I've put what I've read so far to good use in building a Cul-de-sac Flyer and both of the HLGs from last months issue. My problem is more with the smaller planes using bricks. On a budget, using separate components seems to make more sense.
Dec 13, 2016, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nestor_notabilis
Silly?
Maybe, but would I not need one brick per plane?

The units I've seen don't look like they lend themselves to easy removal. I don't quite have money to spend on more than one brick when I can equip a larger plane for less.

I do understand the premise of BalsaBuilder. I've put what I've read so far to good use in building a Cul-de-sac Flyer and both of the HLGs from last months issue. My problem is more with the smaller planes using bricks. On a budget, using separate components seems to make more sense.
I know I am chiming in here a year later but I know building on a budget is tough. I picked up Stevens Aero Little Rod. Pretty easy to build and about the same size as the Gym Ripper. I use a brick which is about $50.00 US dollars. You may be able to outfit a larger bird for less money but you cannot fly a larger bird indoors unless it is a huge sports stadium. I fly here in New York in a small elementary gym. I am not a big fan of the UMX "Brick" setup but it is small and very light. Depending on where you get your electronics, the brick is comparably less expensive because it is servo/ESC/receiver all in one. Now you can even go to swap meets or RC auctions and get a beat up UMX P-51 plane for about $20.00 or less and then just use the Brick from the beat up plane. If you built the Gym Ripper, how did it come out? I am thinking to build that one next.
Dec 13, 2016, 07:33 PM
I too have a Little rod and must say that it's a well thought out and executed little bird that's a gas to fly.
Dec 15, 2016, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnymike
I too have a Little rod and must say that it's a well thought out and executed little bird that's a gas to fly.
I am hoping to have mine all built by this weekend or just after Christmas.

-Scott
Nov 09, 2017, 04:43 PM
Picked one of theses already built from a club member. It does okay in the gym but decided I would build one from the short kit from Stevens Aero. First problem I ran into was finding 1/8 x 3/32 sticks. After rummaging around the stick slot at the LHS I found a couple that will work. Also since the plane is built upside down, top marked the parts actually go on the bottom. Caught that just in time to avoid a major problem.
Nov 10, 2017, 02:40 AM
B for Bruce
For the future do yourself a favor and cut strips of that size from sheet stock with a good wide straightedge. You get better wood as a result and it's WAY cheaper.