Newport 12 Meter Class - Page 8 - RC Groups
Dec 04, 2017, 07:38 AM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Thanks Rich
Now we will have 6 of us there at Mason, 7 including you so we will be looking foreword to having you teach us the ropes on rules n technique so we are not a bunch of country bumpkins come the nationals in San Diego next year! Shees...next year....that starts in only 3 plus weeks! where does all the time go? hope the boys with OCMYA will dig their N12s out too....know Don has one and a few others as well.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2017, 02:25 PM
Picked up mine today ! Now to get it ready to sail ! Its hull #302
Last edited by Dick J; Dec 05, 2017 at 09:17 PM.
Dec 09, 2017, 08:37 PM
Got to get the Newport out today at Mason, WOW so much fun !!!!
Dec 09, 2017, 09:28 PM
Driven by Passion!

Hull #181 - Restoration

Hull #181 (The Battleship) is now in dry dock and the restoration project has begun. The insides and the deck hardware have been removed. The most interesting find so far were the National Champion chevrons under about 4 or 5 layers of paint when I sanded the deck. As best as I can tell, this boat belonged to Doug Lanterman, 1995 Newport 12 National Champion. Still researching to verify.

Next came sanding the hull. Oh man, what a job! Six different coats. Well with a little elbow grease and some power equipment and 2 lbs of paint, I finally got down to the original coat of paint, orange. The white is original primer and the gray is the original hull. A little more sanding to take off the last bit of orange and its on to step 3 - repair and replace.

Step 3 - The R&R phase which includes getting some new deck bondo to smooth it out, strengthening some chain plates, and rebuilding the Electronics board and updating the servos.

Step 4 - Wet sanding to get ready for a new primer coat of paint.

More updates to come.

Dave
Dec 09, 2017, 09:37 PM
Some reason ...
the "Orange Color" is appealing - to me
certainly would be very visible out on the water ...
Dec 14, 2017, 09:05 PM
Driven by Passion!
All right, making a little more progress. The hull has been sanded clean. Now to prep for primer and a little R&R work with some bondo and internal support structure work. Moving forward!
Dec 14, 2017, 10:51 PM
Nice work Dave !! No need for any bondo now, unless you can see uneven spots !!! Primer it and then guidecoat it and sand to see the high and low spots !!!
Dec 16, 2017, 11:36 PM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Wow! That is indeed a labor of love there Dave. But in the end, you'll have a boat for as long as you can sail her.
Yesterday, 12:40 AM
Kevin Gault
As one who tried to sand all the old paint off my Newport hull and finally giving up and priming over it, those pics make my arms hurt!!!

Kevin
Newport 12 #20
Yesterday, 02:31 AM
Driven by Passion!

Hull # 181 - Restoration

Doing the body work and internal repairs. The new chain plates have be cut, sanded and fitted. Waiting for a new box clamp to arrive from Amazon to glue the new chain plates in.

OMG - here's a couple of photos of the center mast step and the left and right chain plates before R&R. These chain plates were actually holding the sail in place. Unbelievable!

The last photo is the left side chain plate cleaned up and ready for some new wood.

Next fix is the rudder brace. It came loose on both sides. Needs a little beefing up and new epoxy to keep in place. Moving forward.