Newport 12 Meter Class - Page 7 - RC Groups
Oct 27, 2017, 01:06 AM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Being a newbe...I've only been on Mason park in Irvine...my go to place! Then last month to ElDorado in Long Beach, n one time to Heratage park...so looking foreword to seeing new places.
Worked on Newport hull & Mast tonight. Saw somewhere that steam? Would help straighten out a warped wood mast??? Anyone know anything on this?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2017, 04:58 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I'm going to be in San Diego December 9 and 10 for the TF 96 Pearl Harbor Remembrance run at Santee Lakes. I plan to spend part of the Saturday at the Mission bay pond. I'm coming with a Cruiser and Destroyer for the run , but also my CJ to sail on Saturday If a Newport 12 can be found for me to purchase , perhaps we can meet up at Mission bay? Do some sailing and I'll go home with a new (or new to me) N12 !
Oct 30, 2017, 04:31 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I found this today https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ustom-sailboat
Opinions? I would prefer to build from a bare hull. However I am open to suggestions... Do any of y'all know of this boat?
Oct 30, 2017, 06:19 PM
Driven by Passion!
Had a great day of sailing yesterday at the Memorial Regatta with the Helmsmen at El Dorado Park in Long Beach, CA. Nine (9) boats took the start. It was great to see so many big boats racing. Newport 12's are really a sight on the water. As the picture shows, most everyone was chasing #21 all day.
Oct 30, 2017, 07:31 PM
Kevin Gault
Stephen,

I'm not sure that boat in the classifieds is a Newport 12. Need to see some better photos.

Dave,

Great sailing with you yesterday. You had ol' #181 going well! That's a lot of 6 foot boats on the pond all at the same time, fortunately everyone was on pretty good behavior, so no major pile-ups. Thanks for the photo, was hoping someone got a shot of the whole fleet!

Kevin

McClung #20
Oct 30, 2017, 10:36 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Roger that Kevin, I would rather start from a bare hull anyway... Looks like y'all had some fun!
Oct 31, 2017, 02:13 PM
Driven by Passion!
Kevin,
That last race was great. I really enjoyed that one. You came from behind and beat me at the line by a nose. By doing so, I think you secured 3rd place for the Regatta and beat Gary by 1 point. Well done!

My boat, #181 did well. The skipper not so much. A funny moment was hearing Larry complain that the ol' Battleship was in front of his boat. Even if it was only for one leg of one race! Can't wait for next month.
Oct 31, 2017, 06:31 PM
Kevin Gault
Dave,

You learn to cherish any time that your boat is ahead of Larry G. It doesn't happen very often for any of us.

I really thought you beat me in that last race. Never underestimate the power of blind luck (and prayer)!

Kevin
Nov 02, 2017, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Vick
I found this today https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ustom-sailboat
Opinions? I would prefer to build from a bare hull. However I am open to suggestions... Do any of y'all know of this boat?
It's a nice looking boat, but hatch much bigger then normal Newport, and mast would not be allowed in this class, but that would be an easy fix.
Nov 02, 2017, 01:20 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Thanks, But I am decided... I would not be happy unless I built from a bare hull. It's my nature to do things the hard way.
Nov 06, 2017, 12:05 AM
Worked on my Newport most of today...have not done that before! Normally just a few hours a night after work...so almost at the point of color sanding the top and hull for new Wings West paint to make her shine outstanding.

I do have one question here. The stripe on the mast is for bottom of sail! However my sails are not straight (maybe that is normal?) so can my sails be level with that line at the front n aft, or is that for any part of the sail?

Also, does anyone have a Goose Neck I could buy for this boat? That and the turn buckles for the upper shroud and I'm all done and should be ready for water in about another month...
Nov 06, 2017, 12:38 AM
Kevin Gault
oletimer,

It's just the corners of the mainsail that must be inside the bands. The foot round does not have to be. Hopefully these pics of my rig explain it better. I made my own gooseneck out of a piece of aluminum bar and some Dubro ball links. There's also several choices in brass from Roger Cousineau here: http://www.modelyachtfittings.com

I used KDH quick-release turnbuckles for my Newport, available from www.leadingedgehobbies.com (edit...just checked to see they are out of stock) Most guys use the ones from Pekabe (the KDH ones are cheaper!)

Kevin
Nov 12, 2017, 01:30 PM
Driven by Passion!

Newport 12M - Hull #319 - Project has Begun!

Newport 12 - Hull #319 has a new build stand and the project has begun. Estimated completion - Spring 2018.

Expected build features:

Servo Gear sail winch - HD large servo
HD MG Digital rudder servo built at the rear of the boat like Kevin's Hull #20
Internal Structural support similar to Hull #20
Wood Deck with trim - still debating a full plank deck. Not sure yet.
Aircraft Spruce Mast, boom and club.
New sails - Not sure of manufacturer yet.
Stainless steel standing rigging attachments with Surflon Coated wire 80 lb
Wing's West paint and primer in classic big boat scheme.
Spektrum Receiver
LiFe 6.6 V battery.