Newport 12 Meter Class - Page 4 - RC Groups
Aug 22, 2016, 06:03 PM
W Kuhns
Btw is there a specfically place I can look to find one of these either for sale or a kit? I really miss the one I had. It was a sale that had to be done at the time. And regretted ever since. Wish I could find my old one that went to michigan. She has an Aluminum mast all pekabe fitting and old graupner winch servo. Which was awesome not super fast but powerful. Well back to the post. I would rater have one of the than the J boat I have been looking at. For physical reasons a Newport would suit me better
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2016, 10:00 PM
Hingham Bay, MA
Aug 22, 2016, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKuhn
Btw is there a specfically place I can look to find one of these either for sale or a kit? I really miss the one I had. It was a sale that had to be done at the time. And regretted ever since. Wish I could find my old one that went to michigan. She has an Aluminum mast all pekabe fitting and old graupner winch servo. Which was awesome not super fast but powerful. Well back to the post. I would rater have one of the than the J boat I have been looking at. For physical reasons a Newport would suit me better
Bill,

There are two authorized hull manufacturers currently. I dont believe they have kits for the Newport at this time. Robert McClung in Idaho is one of the hull manufacturer's and Kay Tillman in California is the other. I know Mr. Tillman personally and believe he has hulls and possibly decks available. I also know of two used boats currently for sale but they are here in California. If you would like more information, please PM me and I will see what I can do to help you locate a boat.

Rich Gault
Newport 12 AMYA Class Secretary
Nov 06, 2016, 04:53 PM
FINALLY got to sail more than one Newport 12 at a time here in MA. I have been trying to get two of my boats to the pond for a couple of months, but too much wind, too much lightning, all day regattas for other classes, being out of town and being sick have prevented that from happening - until today. The Minuteman Model Yacht Club had their Annual 4 Hour Enduro race today, so I brought two Newport 12's, one for me (#405) and Paul Mercer (#441) asked if he could sail the other one. It was a typical New England day with wind ranging from knock-you-down gusts to big glassy smooth spots. Temperature was in the upper 40's.
At the end of the day, 1) Cliff Martin 54 laps, 10 Rater, 2) Bill Liscomb, 53 Laps, Newport 12, 3) Paul Mercer, 51 laps, Newport 12. It was worth the wait! Hope to have 3 boats operational next spring...
Nov 06, 2016, 05:01 PM
Forgot to mention it is a "Run What You Brung" race. US1m's, EC-12's, Marbleheads, Canterbury J, 10 Raters, etc.
Nov 15, 2016, 07:40 AM

Video of Minuteman MYC Enduro

Here's some video shot from the deck of Newport 12 #441 during the Enduro race. This boat finished third, skippered by Paul Mercer,and you can also see N12 #405.

https://sites.google.com/site/minutemanmodelyachtclub/
Nov 21, 2016, 11:41 PM
Anyone who would like to be added to the email list for what is happening in the Newport 12 Meter class, please send me your Name and email address. I would be happy to include you in what is going on within the class.

I have also started a Newport 12 Meter R/C Yacht group on Facebook. Look us up and join us.

Rich Gault
AMYA Newport 12 Meter Class Secretary
Last edited by rsgault; Nov 21, 2016 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Added text
Dec 18, 2016, 03:37 PM
Kevin Gault

To all the Newport 12 fans.....

Jun 19, 2017, 12:50 PM
Brighto?

Newport on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/263045375836...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looks nice but I wonder where the rig is?
Jun 19, 2017, 08:08 PM
I pm'd the seller and got this.
Jun 20, 2017, 10:34 AM
Thomas Armstrong
Guys around here are thinking about building a 12M fleet - any way to get the plans for the Newport 12M?
Jun 20, 2017, 02:04 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
I guess if it is a local fleet & not trying to be part of the US 12m that may work. US 12m rules limit the mfg'r. Otherwise it is just a model of the old 12m boats.
http://www.theamya.org/boats/us12/

US 12 CLASS RULES & SPECIFICATIONS
1.0 GENERAL CONCEPT
The following rules are not only intended to allow some flexibility in construction but to also maintain the
US 12 as a One Design Class. All measurements are in inches and fractions. Tolerances are plus or minus
3/4 inch unless otherwise stated. Early models of the US 12 that may be in minor variance with these rules,
including rudder configuration, shall be considered to be conforming. This grandfather clause shall apply to
hulls # 1- 100.
2.0 Hull
2.1 The hull shall be made of hand-laid fiberglass cloth.
2.2 Hulls shall be obtained only from authorized manufacturers.

BP
Jun 20, 2017, 02:37 PM
Thomas Armstrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp
I guess if it is a local fleet & not trying to be part of the US 12m that may work. US 12m rules limit the mfg'r. Otherwise it is just a model of the old 12m boats.
Yes this would be a local fleet in Chile, Southamerica, far away from AMYA... shipping boats from the US is prohibitive, and we have local build capabilities... so plans is what we want... Maybe not Newport 12M but another design?
Jun 20, 2017, 03:28 PM
Kevin Gault
The lore is that the Newport 12 was "inspired" by the 1964 America's Cup winner "Constellation", although the Newport clearly has an older style transom than Constellation. In fact the Newport 12 transom looks very much like "Northern Light" which was an S&S pre-war 12 Meter. http://sparkmanstephens.blogspot.com...ern-light.html

As the Newport 12 is a one design with hulls that must come from an approved mold, I don't think there are any line drawings that exist. There is a sail plan drawing of "Constellation" on the Sparkman and Stephens website, but I don't see anything detailed enough to loft a scale hull from. http://sparkmanstephens.blogspot.com...=constellation

Kevin
Newport 12 #20
Jun 20, 2017, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Denest
http://www.ebay.com/itm/263045375836...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looks nice but I wonder where the rig is?
Anybody on here buy her?. She sold for the buy it now price of 250.