Oct 25, 2019, 07:10 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Thought I would try out this bow bumper. Woven flax line secured by the Jib rack ( and a generous bead of silicon). I ordered a few on EBay. I think it gives me an effective bow bumper without losing that Pond Yacht classic look.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2019, 01:47 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Looks like it belongs on a tugboat!

BP
Dec 03, 2019, 09:12 AM
Modeler/ Historian
I see that there is a big regatta scheduled December 7th. Good luck to all skippers! Especially with Kevin Gault in the fleet... Be sure to post pics for those of us who cant be there.
Dec 03, 2019, 03:57 PM
The December 8th race at El Dorado Park is a fun sail. All boats welcome.
Last edited by ClayH; Dec 03, 2019 at 08:49 PM. Reason: My bad
Dec 03, 2019, 04:15 PM
Kevin Gault
Clay,

Saturday the 7th is the Newport 12 Classic Regatta at Mason Park in Irvine. Sunday the 8th is the Fun Sail at the Helmsmen MYC. Let's hope the rain stays away both days!

Kevin
Dec 03, 2019, 04:23 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I got a clear bumper, I like this one.
Dec 04, 2019, 07:13 PM
Modeler/ Historian
On this day she had a loss of rudder and smacked into the concrete base of the mermaid. No damage , HooYah tugboat bumper. (And epoxy filled bow ) Rudder servo replaced with hi torque Hitec.
Jan 13, 2020, 04:54 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thanks to Dana Point Dave for the mention of our building fleet in San Angelo TX, in Model Yachting. The second boat under restoration is getting close.... We have another resto project about to start and a never built hull awaiting. Carl has been busy coming up with setting the standard for deck framing and servo mounts, just as he did with our Canterbury J's. When complete we should have a very closely matched fleet! There seems to be a lot of local interest in these boats, mostly among the giant scale RC flyers. They are impressive on the water, sailing well in light air as well as 25 MPH.... Perfect boats for West Texas!
Jan 13, 2020, 05:14 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Here is Carl Malone’s as yet un-numbered restoration , underway. He has discarded the old quarter inch ply deck and framed up for a 1/32 inch birch ply sub deck , which will then be planked “Texas Style”.... pictured are his templates for the hatches. Also note the lightening holes, which were incorporated in hull 574 restoration. Although we like a planked deck. A little weight shaved topside doesn’t hurt Also the stout rails located at the main hatch. These make a convenient pick up handle later.
Jan 18, 2020, 03:39 PM
Driven by Passion!
Hi All you So. Cal Newport 12 sailors!

Sailing on Sunday, Jan 19, 2020 at El Dorado Park. This is the 1st race of the 2020 season for the Helmsmen MYC for the following boats:

Newport 12
Soling 50
Dragon Flight 95

Skipper's meeting at 10:00 am. Racing begins immediately thereafter. $3 entry fee per boat.

See you on the pond!
Dave
Jan 18, 2020, 03:50 PM
Driven by Passion!
Hi Everyone,

Here is a very unique opportunity to get an un-built Newport 12 Hull. This hull is McClung hull #29 with all the access hatch numbers. This boat is available with the unique raised McClung fiberglass top deck.

The hull is available by Jeff Tillman, son of our late builder Kay Tillman. Please take a look at the attached photos and let me know if you are interested. I will put you in contact with Jeff to complete the transfer.

Thanks,
Dave
Jan 18, 2020, 08:29 PM
Finally got the right servo gearbox for my Newport 12. Cant wait to get it back together again !!!!!
Jan 19, 2020, 02:22 AM
Driven by Passion!
Nice Dick! See ya soon.
Jan 19, 2020, 11:44 AM
OK Thanks Dave !!
Jan 19, 2020, 01:53 PM
Gearbox now back in the Newport 12, May redo lines to sails before it hits the lake again Who knows he he

Quick Reply