Newport 12 Meter Class - Page 3 - RC Groups
May 09, 2016, 04:29 PM
Kevin Gault
Thought this was a cool photo of two Newports beating upwind in last month's HMYC points regatta (and yes, #20 is mine). Shows the "classic" lines pretty well.

Kevin
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2016, 05:20 PM
W Kuhns
My Favorite Boats. Probably why I made the one I did. Made it similarly to An EC 12. Mine is and HM-56 :-)
May 11, 2016, 01:13 AM
Kevin Gault
Not R/C, and much newer vintage 12 Meter boats than the Newport, but found some really cool drone video of the 2015 "real" 12 Meter North American Championships.
12 Metre Class racing at The 2015 Newport Regatta (3 min 9 sec)

Kevin
May 11, 2016, 11:26 PM
Here's mine!

MVI 4179 (0 min 36 sec)
May 13, 2016, 11:51 AM
Anyone have an extra ballast for sale? I picked up the Newport on here for sale without one, also the label is really blurred? Can I still get it registered?
May 16, 2016, 12:59 AM
Bob Danks was kind enough to give me his Newport 12 Meter and today I participated in my first ever sailboat race! I went to the park Saturday and Bob did some coaching and teaching. I have had a Soling 1M since 2000, but I never took the time to go to a race. Bob has been getting back in to airplanes so we met up again. Anyway, I decided to just watch the first three heats, with Bob narrating the rights and wrongs. I learned a ton! Then I went for it in the 2 afternoon heats. I had intended to just try to stay out of the way, but in my first heat I lucked in to a good start and was able to somewhat stay with the pack. I ended up 4th out of the 8. That must have made me too confident because the next heat I just went over the start line and had to go back. I never could catch up to the rest but it was still all good. What a great experience.

I don't think I've had that much fun with RC in years! What a blast. I plan on getting the Soling trimmed up and I'm going to make a lot more races.

Here's some pics of Bob and his wife Dianne with me and the boat. Also some action from today.
May 16, 2016, 01:38 AM
Kevin Gault
Good racing with you today Tony. Really great to see the Newport fleet rebound in numbers recently. We had ten boats today with pretty good breeze!!! A lot of fun wrestling these big boats around the course. Hope to see you back next month!

Kevin

Newport 12 #20
May 16, 2016, 09:16 AM
Welcome to the fleet, Tony. Bob is a great sailor and a nice guy to learn from. Glad you enjoyed yourself. Sorry I didn't get the chance to talk with you today. Bob mentioned that you wanted to get your new boat registered in your name. I will have a registration form for you next month or you can print them on the AMYA webpage. Congratulations on your first race. It was great sailing with you.

Rich Gault
AMYA Newport 12 Class Secretary
May 17, 2016, 12:54 AM
Hi Kevin and Rich,

I will definitely be back! I kept saying to myself all day, everything about this I like. I'll get the registration done for the Newport. I also have to get my Soling 1M registered for the races on June 5th.
Jun 19, 2016, 11:50 PM
Kevin Gault
June points races for the Newport 12 fleet at Helmsmen Model Yacht Club today. Turnout was a bit down this month, most likely due to the 100+ degree temps in SoCal today. (That and Larry Grant still waiting for new sails for his boat after his were shredded last month on his way home when his rig box opened on the freeway).

Still, 6 skippers braved the heat, and had some good, tight racing. All in all, a fun (and sweaty) day!!!!

Pics from Commodore Hugh's newsletter from last month.

Kevin
Newport 12 #20
Aug 21, 2016, 10:11 PM

Newport 12 Meter Group

I have started a Group on Facebook for the Newport 12 Meter. It is open to anyone interested in these beautiful boats. Check it out.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/842390272558921/
Last edited by rsgault; Aug 22, 2016 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Added link
Aug 22, 2016, 09:42 AM
W Kuhns
I miss mine I had to sell her some years back sold it to a guy in Mich. He was going to sail it up there. Was a good arrangement though met his buddy in New York or jersey he took it front here to Mish I believe. Was a beautiful boat at red. Sailed like a dream. I will have another one someday. Though at 6 feet long they are hard to ship.
Aug 22, 2016, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgault
I have started a Group on Facebook for the Newport 12 Meter. It is open to anyone interested in these beautiful boats. Check it out.
Link? Couldn't find it in a search.
Aug 22, 2016, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist
Thanks, I was meaning to do that.