Newport 12 Meter Class - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Nov 15, 2015, 10:47 PM
Registered User
rsgault's Avatar

Newport 12 Meter Registration


If you have or know of someone who has a Newport 12 I would really appreciate hearing from you. I am in the process of tracking down as many owners as possible to update an owners database that I received. You don't have to be a member of the AMYA to have your boat listed in the database, however AMYA membership is highly recommended.

Rich Gault
AMYA Newport 12 Class Secretary
Last edited by rsgault; Mar 27, 2016 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Added text
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 22, 2016, 01:55 AM
Kevin Gault
poltergeist's Avatar
We had an amazing turnout of Newport 12's for the HMYC March points races yesterday in Long Beach CA. 9 boats is the most the club has had "on the line" for quite a while. Breeze picked up in the afternoon and the Newports put on a show!!! Nice to see a few "old" boats with "new" owners. Starts and mark roundings got to be a bit hairy, especially as the winds built and speeds increased. A few bumps and bruises (and one dismasting) but fortunately no serious damage.

Thanks to Bill (aka "soaranator" ) for making the long drive up from the San Diego area.

Come on Newport skippers....lets keep the momentum going!!!

I had no time to get pics, so below are from Commodore Hugh's excellent newsletter from last month's racing.

Kevin
Newport 12 #20
Mar 22, 2016, 11:52 AM
Registered User
Rich & Kevin;

I had a blast up there with all you all. These boats are a lot of fun to race and I hope the class can expand and grow. I learned there are two or three boats for sale that are ready to race, and very affordable. How about other some skippers down here in San Diego getting one or two of these?
Last edited by soaranator; Mar 22, 2016 at 11:52 AM. Reason: uhh....
Mar 23, 2016, 01:29 AM
Registered User
Wow! I can't believe that I stumbled upon this page. I used to sail at El Dorado around the mid 1990's with the Helmsman. I just contacted Hugh about the Helmsmen, as I've recently taken the old orange and grey out of mothballs. The sails have seen better days, but it might still be fun just getting it wet.

I'm hoping to see a few familiar faces over the next couple of weeks, and swap some stories and share some memories.

Lee

P.S. Rich I'll see if I get a chance tomorrow to snag the hull number off mine. If my memory serves me well, its hull #189.
Mar 24, 2016, 12:21 PM
Kevin Gault
poltergeist's Avatar
Great job Bill!!! Second overall on the day!!!

Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by soaranator
Rich & Kevin;

I had a blast up there with all you all. These boats are a lot of fun to race and I hope the class can expand and grow. I learned there are two or three boats for sale that are ready to race, and very affordable. How about other some skippers down here in San Diego getting one or two of these?
Mar 24, 2016, 12:25 PM
Registered User
Thanks Kevin! Got 2nd more by the misfortune of others rather than by crafty skippering. But I'll take it!!! I'll be terrorizing the San Diego Fleet on Saturday and will try to convince others to come to the light.
Mar 24, 2016, 07:57 PM
Kevin Gault
poltergeist's Avatar
Bill,

You looked fast from where I was standing!!!

Kevin
Apr 13, 2016, 12:44 AM
Registered User
rsgault's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePinney
Wow! I can't believe that I stumbled upon this page. I used to sail at El Dorado around the mid 1990's with the Helmsman. I just contacted Hugh about the Helmsmen, as I've recently taken the old orange and grey out of mothballs. The sails have seen better days, but it might still be fun just getting it wet.

I'm hoping to see a few familiar faces over the next couple of weeks, and swap some stories and share some memories.

Lee

P.S. Rich I'll see if I get a chance tomorrow to snag the hull number off mine. If my memory serves me well, its hull #189.
Lee,

Did you ever get the chance to check your hull number?

We are racing this Sunday the 17th at El Dorado. It would be great to see your boat out sailing. Come join us.

Rich
Apr 17, 2016, 11:03 PM
Registered User
rsgault's Avatar
My brother (poltergeist) and I raced our Newports in the monthly points regatta at Helmsmen Model Yacht Club in Long Beach California today. We had 8 boats turn out. Conditions were very challenging with extreme shifts and strong puffs from all over the map. It went from drifting conditions to rail in the water then back to drifting. All in all it was a great day racing with some great people. I welcome anyone to come on out and sail with us. The club races the Santa Barbara, Soling 1 meter and US 1 meter classes on the first Sunday of the month. On the third Sunday of the month we sail the Newport 12, Micro Magic and Soling 50 classes. We sail at El Dorado Regional Park. Come join us.
Apr 18, 2016, 01:27 AM
Registered User
+1 on what Rich said. If you are in SoCal and have a dusty N12 in the garage, bring it on out. These are really good sailing boats and do surprisingly well in lots of different conditions. If you have one in the boat shed you aren't sailing, consider a lend/lease to someone who wants to campaign a N12. More of these boats need to be out racing....
Apr 23, 2016, 04:20 PM
Kevin Gault
poltergeist's Avatar
Some photos was last Sunday's N12 points regatta at the HMYC (taken from Commodore Hugh's club newsletter).
Apr 29, 2016, 04:01 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks

EC12 vs Newport 12


Big boat noob question-

What are the differences between the EC-12 meter boats and the Newport 12 meter boats?

BP
Apr 29, 2016, 04:41 PM
Kevin Gault
poltergeist's Avatar
In a nutshell:

Newport 12: 72" long, 38-42lbs, clsss rules only allow one rig, two channel only (rudder and sheeting), Primarily a "West Coast" class.

EC-12: 58" long, lighter than the Newport (26ish lbs???), multiple rigs allowed, 4 channels allowed. More of a "national" class (even international?)

Kevin
Apr 29, 2016, 05:27 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist
In a nutshell:

Newport 12: 72" long, 38-42lbs, clsss rules only allow one rig, two channel only (rudder and sheeting), Primarily a "West Coast" class.

EC-12: 58" long, lighter than the Newport (26ish lbs???), multiple rigs allowed, 4 channels allowed. More of a "national" class (even international?)

Kevin
Thanks for the specs!

BP
May 09, 2016, 04:21 AM
Registered User
seefest's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp
Thanks for the specs!

BP
They are different vintage 12 meters as well. The N12 is a much older classic 12M with standard sloping transom and rudder post.
The EC12 has a reverse transom and verticle rudder post. Not a modern 12 with split rudder and trim tab, but much more recent than the N12.
IMO, the N12 is a much prettier boat, than the EC12, but the EC12 is more popular and has a much broader regatta network.


Thread Tools