Newport 12 Meter Class - Page 10 - RC Groups
Feb 13, 2018, 08:25 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Such an elegant shape to the hulls. Absolutely beautiful Dave!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2018, 01:54 AM
Driven by Passion!

Hull # 181 - Restoration

What an awesome day! I went over to Wings West Paints for some professional advice on my painting skills. Hull #181 has 2 top coats and 1 bottom coat of bright white. I was thinking one more coat of white, top and bottom and it's time for color.

Dick and Kevin of Wings West thought the boat looked great and with their help, we made huge leap forward today on hull #181. I said we because thanks to Kevin with is incredible painting skills (far beyond mine) and Dick and Jeff for moral support and comedy relief, the boat is looking beautiful. I am simply over the moon with the progress today. Two more coats of white, top and bottom, and the main attraction, the color stripe (metal flake blue).

I also made some headway on the new Electronic Control Board. Here's a photo of the old and new ECB.

Here's a couple of teaser photos.
Mar 06, 2018, 11:50 AM
Driven by Passion!

Restoration - Hull #181

The vision is almost complete! Literally letting the paint dry. Hull #181 is almost ready to put back together.

Thanks to Dick and Kevin at Wings West RC. I could not have done this without you guys.

Man, that is a pretty boat!
Mar 06, 2018, 12:00 PM
Another gorgeous paint job! It will be quite a sight to see the Newport 12s on the water in August
Mar 06, 2018, 12:42 PM
Looking even better today Dave !! Cant wait until we get to cut it and buff it out! It ll really shine then. Almost ready to give it back to you !!!! we ll see about that ( he he) she s really pretty !!!!!!!
Mar 06, 2018, 12:47 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Simply gorgeous! Love it.
Mar 06, 2018, 05:28 PM
Driven by Passion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCphotoguy
Another gorgeous paint job! It will be quite a sight to see the Newport 12s on the water in August
I totally agree. The Nationals down in San Diego in August will be a sight to behold when the Newport 12's come to town!

Thanks for posting a couple of new pics, Dick. Awesome.
Mar 06, 2018, 05:35 PM
No problem Dave ! Tomorrow the boat will get cut and buffed !!! I ll let you know when so if you can, another learning process for you he he
Mar 14, 2018, 05:37 PM
Driven by Passion!

Hull # 181 - Restoration

It's March 14, 2018 and 3 months into this restoration project. The Helmsmen are racing on Sunday, March 18th and I am so close to having Hull #181 ready to sail again.

The deck hardware is on except the side stays. I ordered new Pekabe single rotating stays. They are in the mail. Also the deck hatches were no longer acceptable for this restored boat, so I had to make new ones. Once again, thanks to Dick and Kevin at Wings West RC for their advice and supplies to make the new hatches out of carbon fiber and fiberglass.

The old hatch is the pink one. The new carbon and fiberglass hatch was molded off of the old plastic hatch in the photo. The new hatch fits perfectly. Time to sand, primer and paint the hatches.

It looks like I might be racing by Sunday!!!

Here's a couple of photos.
Mar 14, 2018, 10:38 PM
She s looking good Dave !!!!
Mar 15, 2018, 12:24 AM
Looks great Dave. Is that a full size Laser in the background?

Rich
Mar 16, 2018, 01:43 AM
Driven by Passion!
Hey Rich,
Yep, that is a full size Laser in the garage!
Mar 22, 2018, 10:58 AM
Driven by Passion!

Hull # 181 - Restoration

The restoration of Hull #181 has been a learning experience but the job is almost finished!

All parts have been painted and cleared thanks to the great help of Wings West RC. I have learned so much from Dick and Kevin.

Final task include before final assembly:

Re-glued the rudder steering tube and brace assembly
Assembled a new carbon rudder steering link shaft
Rudder Shoe fitment including re-tapping the hull
Glued in flotation for my new hatches

A new electronics board is under development and eventually be installed. Here's a few more pictures before final assembly.

She is almost ready to sail again!
Mar 22, 2018, 12:18 PM
New hatch covers look really nice Dave, great job !!!!! Cant wait to see it on the water with all its beauty !!!
Mar 23, 2018, 05:11 PM
Driven by Passion!

Hull # 181 - Restoration - Complete!!!

The restoration of Hull #181 is now complete and she is ready for sea trials. Many thanks to the guys a Wings West for their paints, advice and skill. Thanks to Richard Gault, Secretary of the Newport 12 Meter Class and Hugh Richards, Commodore at the Helmsmen Model Yacht Club at El Dorado Park in Long Beach for their parts and advice. And to all my sailing friends who encouraged me to Get'r Done.

I am really proud of the finished product. Hull #181 is now a proper Newport 12 Meter sailing yacht.

Let's go racing!!!

Quick Reply