Newport 12 Meter Class - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 17, 2015, 12:24 PM
Discussion

Newport 12 Meter Class

Welcome to the Newport 12 class thread. I am working to promote activity and participation for these boats. I welcome all information, photos, race results or discussion. There are lots of these boats sitting in homes and garages collecting dust that need to be out sailing.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2015, 12:43 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
Went through the archives here are some pics of Newport 12s. Had one a few years back. Have thought about buying it back from a friend that has it now.
Aug 17, 2015, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy
Went through the archives here are some pics of Newport 12s. Had one a few years back. Have thought about buying it back from a friend that has it now.
You should, Manny! We had seven boats racing yesterday at El Dorado Park in Long Beach with several more being built. Mine should be sailing within the next several months

Rich
Aug 17, 2015, 01:31 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
Rich those pics were taken at El Dorado Park. I used to live in Long Beach. The pic of the boat with the Footy is a boat I won in a raffle from the Inland. nautical Society. I moved to Bakersfield about two years ago, I would be sailing alone if I bought the boat back.
Aug 17, 2015, 03:12 PM
Didn't realize that you moved. It would be quite a commute to Long Beach from Bakersfield. Where is that boat now? Is it in the So. Cal. area and would the current owner be interested in joining us?

Rich
Last edited by rsgault; Aug 17, 2015 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added text
Aug 18, 2015, 05:58 PM
Who still regularly makes the Newport 12M hull? I'd like to consider building one after I finish my Soling 50. The guys at El Dorado Park are great. I've been coming as often as possible to watch with my 9 month old son. I cant wait for my Soling 50 to be done and move onto another project like one of these. Unfortunately I'm extremely OCD and meticulous with my builds.
Aug 18, 2015, 07:24 PM
M. Sea.,

There are currently two class approved hull suppliers. One is Robert McClung in Idaho and the other is Kay Tillman in Riverside, CA. I can get you contact information for both. I know Mr. Tillman and can put you in touch with him. Mr. McClung was contacted recently by my brother who is building one of his old hulls but it did not sound like he was interested in building a boat. He may have old stock available. Let me know if you would like more information.

Rich
Aug 19, 2015, 07:56 PM
Thanks Rich. could you PM me his contact information? I'll be ok with old stock or a new one.
Aug 22, 2015, 10:15 AM
Here's mine!

MVI 3499 (2 min 34 sec)
Aug 24, 2015, 12:49 AM
Kevin Gault
She sure sails nicely Vince!!!

Ya'll can follow along with my Build of McClung hull #20 here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2343927

Kevin
Sep 24, 2015, 12:03 AM
I have taken over the position of the Newport 12 AMYA Class Secretary and would appreciate hearing from owners of Newport 12s. I would also encourage you to join the AMYA and make sure your boat is registered.
Oct 22, 2015, 07:38 PM
Kevin Gault
Ok. A question for any/all Newport 12 faithful on here. Any opinion on the optimum mast step position measurement from the bow? Also, how far aft of the upper shrouds should the lower shrouds attach to the deck? Appreciate any/all opinions.

Thanks

Kevin
McClung Newport 12 #20
Oct 23, 2015, 10:05 AM
I will measure mine tonight and let you know. Have no idea if it's right or not.
Oct 23, 2015, 10:59 AM
Kevin Gault
No biggie. I've still got your other measurements, along with the old plans that Vince H posted. Was just trying to get a feel for where the best mast step position should be, so I can put my chainplates directly athwartship of that. Probably not all that critical.

Thanks.

Kevin