Jul 04, 2004, 12:20 AM
Thread OP

Hair Dryer Fan????

Hi, Just took apart a Hair dryer and found a pretty cool looking fan, it has a 2.5-3" diameter and a 6 bladed fan, and 4 stators. Has anyone used these fans for EDF? The blade angles look okay (45,65)

also .... do you guys know if a Wattage Turbo Vector would be a good plane after the Slow stick and a sport plane?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 04, 2004, 11:21 AM
EDF Head
Try it but most fans of this kind are too low in rpm and not structurally safe for the rpm needed to get good power. That is generally the rule.
Jul 04, 2004, 01:59 PM
Thread OP
I fitted it with a speed 400 motor (it fit in the same place as the original motor! but i was dumb and couldn't get the blade off so i had to cut the stators off) and ran it ... ran pretty good achived significant amount of thrust (just estimateing...it made about as much as my propeller and thats without the stator or the casing plus the airflow was blocked by my clamping table) ... next I will add some epoxy around where the blade is attached to the hub ... (that point looks week) and run it off of my dremel (35k RPM !! ) I'm not sure how fast RPM the speed 400 goes. I believe it is 12k???
Jul 04, 2004, 02:00 PM
Thread OP
BTW the speed 400 is a regular propeller airplane speed 400 running at 8.4 volts.
Jul 04, 2004, 05:14 PM
Thread OP
Okay, Now i've fitted the fan with a housing and i made new stators using CF tube and some thick paper glued on and then taped over, the amount of thrust it creates is alot probly more than 1.5 times as much as my prop! i don't know but the battery definitely isn't fully charged. I also haven't conceled the wires or put a cone behind the motor. Unfortunately the casing is very heavy (*hair dryers aren't meant to be ultra light)
I'm happy to see the stators work because there was very little swirl / turbulence in the exit flow. I tested it by putting some paper on a dowel and holding the dowel very gently to see if the paper would turn (from swirls) it didn't turn much..!
Jul 04, 2004, 09:20 PM
Gaskin used to sell something similar.. Hasirdryer Fan/Motor assembly for something like $8.. gave about /optimistically 6 oz thrust.
Interesting but essentially a waste of Time.
Jul 04, 2004, 10:15 PM
Thread OP
6 oz??? mine seems to produce more than that... ! ... what motor was used on it.... if it is the default hairdryer motor then it will of course suck (or not suck) Currently i am test fitting the unit to a modified Slope Diver airplane. so until then i don't know if it is worth it

I would make formal measurements but i don't know how... I don't have an electronic balance... in fact i don't have anything ... i don't even have bolts or CA ! just tape and a dremel and some other household items.
Jul 05, 2004, 02:04 AM
smug in granny panties
yeah 6 oz is optomistic, I mean if it were more than that then Wattage would have just used them instead of coming up with there own 400 size fan to make 7 to 10 oz of thrust or so.

Barry
Jul 05, 2004, 04:53 PM
Thread OP
i see... any ways 6 oz is enough for me ... AUW of my plane is probably 14 ounces... a bit under powered but oh well...
Jul 06, 2004, 09:09 PM
Thread OP
Okay.... useless.... this fan is no good trust me. It cannot fly a Speed 400 size aircraft. maybe my stators aren't good enough (shouldn' matter THAT mucH), maybe brushless (but if u can afford brushless why get a hairdryer fan!!!???!) anyways the plane flies straight a bit losing altitutde then stalls and crashes...!
Jul 06, 2004, 09:39 PM
Nahh not useless.. just needs a low weight model.. Keep trying.. experience is knowledge. :-)
Jul 07, 2004, 02:56 PM
Speed Demon
The "Hair Dryer" Fan unit subject comes up every so often around here.

One word of caution. The fan WILL NOT take an excess of power. The blades tend to self destruct with potentially dangerous results at higher RPMs!

I didn't think a thing about this some years ago when there were few commercially available fans on the market (~1994). I ran one up slowly on a hot car motor checking the RPM and the current readings as it accelerated. It managed to hit 28,000RPM before exploding violently while i was holding the motor in my hand! Parts of the fan hit the ceiling, the bench, my torso and legs, and I even found a few parts the next day out in the hallway.

I was extremely lucky. Nothing hit me in the eyes or head. I would not recommend using these.....
Jul 07, 2004, 03:47 PM
Yeah I experimented with hair dryer fans way back about the same time as GregG but didn't know anything about electric airplanes back then. Back in 2000 I flew one of the fans that I'd had sitting around all that time with an AP29BB and 600AEs on my Zagi. It flew, but only about 2/3rds of the performance and the amp draw was much higher than a propped 400. I also flew that motor in the Morley Fan that'd I'd bought when they came out years ago, and even strapped an EJF 400 fan on that Zagi. I tried another hair dryer fan on a speed 400 bird I had and this one was worse than the zagi since it was only a 4.8v speed 400. The wattage fan with a 400 would have flown that plane much better that what I was using.

The weak blades and having to drill out the rotors for adapters (unless you want to trust a friction press-on fit) makes them less than desirable. Also some of the blades are fairly blunt edged with sharp squared corners, and the blade shape is different than EDFs, although some of the fans perform very well. Commercially available fans are easier to deal with but I've been down the hair dryer fan road myself (I love saving a buck or two!).
Jul 07, 2004, 03:48 PM
This subject is complete, I'm closing it.

Please, no more hair dryer fan threads!

Quick Reply