Correct (>50m & < 100m) out the box (w/o antenna mod) 14 22.58%
I had to do the antenna mod to have more than 50m 15 24.19%
Very good with antenna mod (>100m) 8 12.90%
Great range with a Devo controller 15 24.19%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Aug 17, 2015, 07:08 AM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Mould King 33041 "Super-S" (Under construction)

EDIT 08/29/15: New batch of MK 33041 comes now with a different RF chip and another protocol. The new one offers less range but is compatible with the CX-10 "green" so deviationTX compatible.

INTRODUCTION

The Mould King 33041 Super-S is a direct competitor of the DM007 in the micro-mini quadcopter size. Instead to use a 2S lipo with a direct gear system, here the 33041 uses a classic 1S + gear driven system. We will see if it's a more judicious choice. The 33041 can come with a 2Mpx(720p) or a 5Mpx (1080p) camera module. I received the 2Mpx version.

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x Mould King 33041 (with a 1S 380mAh LiPo ending with microLOSI connector)
+ 1 x Transmitter (using 4xAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x Camera module
+ 1 x USB charging cable
+ 4 x Spare props (2 CW, 2 CCW)
+ 1 x 4Gb microSD card
+ 1 x USB microSD reader
+ 1 x Screwdriver
+ 1 x Instruction manual (English/Chinese)

No spare props !!!! really surprizing especially there are not really in standard size

OVERVIEW

-Front view

The antenna is not visible like this out of the box. I installed it like this to optimize the range in the horizontal plan.

With the camera attached beneath

The camera orientation can't be ajusted. The camera is slightly targetting the ground but it shoud be easy to fix the horizon line by declipsing the rear clip, and use a double side tape to install it directly on the canopy.

-Side view

with the camera attached beneath

-Rear view

-Upper view

-Bottom view

The standalone weight (w/o battery and prop guards)

with the LiPo

with the camera module

and with prop guards

Prop guards and props

Motors

They are 7mmx20mm type with a pinion in nylon (as the main gear)

LiPo

A 380mAh 1S model is provided. No discharge rate mentioned

Maybe a slightly more longer (1cm maximym) battery can be installed in the compartement.

Camera module

A pretty light camera module filming in HDready (720p)

The lens Field Of View is unfortunatly as usually pretty narrow. The lens mount is a M6 type so as far I know, there is no compatible widelens with such size of mount. In anycase, you can always tape an external Jellylens for example.

Moult King 33041 camera sample (0 min 19 sec)

Disassembling

It's pretty easy to split in two part the 33041. So a good news for the maintenance

Landing gears are just clipsed

Gears are protected with light cover

Unfortunatly no ball bearing or even oil bushing are installed. The shaft is only jailed into this plastic holder...

You will need to regulary check/clear/oil this part

Both gear and pinion are in nylon, so it's good point for longevity/meshing.

The main board welcomes an orignal LT5910 chip. The device is a MCU M0 ARM core + 2.4G GFSK modulator combo.
I guess the 2.4G GFSK is identical to the LT8910.

http://detail.1688.com/offer/5203926...0.0.0.0.Vc5Wyg

The 2.4G part offers a datarate of 62.5Kbps, very slow compared to the 1Mbits of most of nRF24L01 protocols based or even the 256kbits
of the last Syma protocol. In fact, decreasing the datarate permits to have a better RX sensitivily (so to offers better range). Since
only a couple of bytes need to be transmitted (4 axis channels + aux channels + crc) ... let'say something like 20 bytes only. So even with such low datarate, you can update the commands several hundreds of times per second. At 62.5Kbits the RX sensibility is -96dBm so more or less the same sensibility than the nRF24L01 at 250kbits. In other words, if the nRF24L01 could have this 62.5kbits mode, the range would be just amazing. It means also that this protocol can't be actually deviated. Don't forget that these 2.4G chips are designed to have a minimum datarate for audio/video applications mainly and not specifically for radio transferts.

The antenna is perfectly tuned to 31mm (2.4G)

Transmitter

4 x AA batteries to feed the transmitter

The transmitter have a DJI phantom design. 4 shoulders buttons. The bottom left one selects the speed mode. Three are available. For each of them all rates are proportional. The first one is really good for beginners and offers slow displacements. From the intermediate, the rates are much better and the 33041 becomes really more sporty. Finally the third mode can be called, the crazy "yaw mode" with amazing yaw rate.

The upper left button permits to take photos and if pressed more than 2s activates too the Headless mode. The top right shoulder button turns on/off the camera function. Also if pressed more than 2s can turn on/off the "One key return" feature. Finally the last lower right shoulder button activates flips. You will need after pressing it, to indicate in which direction you want to perform the flip

The sticks are pretty short, but you can easily install some new ones as soon as the diameter of your new stick is 3mm

FIRST USAGE

The first contact with the 33041 is good. As soon as you are pushing the throttle, you can feel the extra power thanks to the gear driven system. You can carry the camera module without problem. It's a great and stable flyer ... really realy nice. The 33041 can handle moderate winds without problem. From intermediate mode, it's also a fast quadcopter, banking very well. The ultimode mode offers nice pirouettes and funnel options. The flying duration with the camera on is around 4min, 4min30. You can add at least 2min if you don't fly with it. The video recording are almost jellofree out of the box. The control range is also great .... 150m without problem especially if you install the antenna vertically as I did (there are some existing holes you can use).

Mould king 33041 "Super-S" outdoors test (Courtesy LighTake) (10 min 23 sec)

CONCLUSIONS

A really nice and surprizing quadcopter. The control range is great, flying caracteristics really good, a good camera module almost jellofree.
The three speed modes are well tuned from beginners to experts ... Definitively this 33041 gathers a lot of qualities. But it's not the perfect model. I regret the non-presence of ballbearings and the none-possibility to orient the lens and/or install a wider lens. The 33041 wins my SeByDocKy award Q2 2015 in brushed micro - mini section.

UNBOXING

Mould King 33041 "Super-S" Unboxing and quick testing (Courtesy Lightake) (17 min 23 sec)

PROS

+ Good and stable flyer
+ Fast flyer from intermediate mode
+ Compact and lightweight quad
+ Can carry a 808#16 cam without problem
+ A lot of power thanks to the driven gear system
+ Great control range
+ Good ground clearace (ideal to install a mini FPV system)
+ Good flight time without camera
+ Nice 2Mb camera module (sharp and precize)
+ Almost Jellofree
+ Night flying

CONS

- No ball bearings install
- Narrow camera FOV
- No orientable lens
- RF chip not compatible with DeviationTX
- No spare props

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Lightake in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.

You can find it actually for 42USD at http://lightake.com/p/Mould-King-330...era_y3167.html
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Oct 02, 2015 at 10:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2015, 07:09 AM
Thread OP
Reserved
Aug 19, 2015, 02:24 PM
Quadcopter Noob
Got mine and one for my kid and both of them will not go over 20 meters and then they lose power. I have taken the controller apart and my antenna is much shorter and its connected to a circuit board so its completely different than yours. I do like the idea of taking the antenna out the top of the quad. I have an email into Lightake to see what they will do to replace them. But besides that this thing is pretty fun and very enjoyable compared to my CX 20
Aug 19, 2015, 02:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraman666
Got mine and one for my kid and both of them will not go over 20 meters and then they lose power. I have taken the controller apart and my antenna is much shorter and its connected to a circuit board so its completely different than yours. I do like the idea of taking the antenna out the top of the quad. I have an email into Lightake to see what they will do to replace them. But besides that this thing is pretty fun and very enjoyable compared to my CX 20

It takes 3min to install the antenna vertically ... You will see huge difference in range
Aug 19, 2015, 02:45 PM
Quadcopter Noob
Sweet will try it....
Last edited by Ultraman666; Aug 19, 2015 at 03:35 PM.
Aug 19, 2015, 03:36 PM
Quadcopter Noob
Didn't help much I get about 30 metres is all.... Oh well I will wait to hear from lightake...

Anyone know of a bigger battery that will fit this thing yet?
Aug 19, 2015, 03:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraman666
Didn't help much I get about 30 metres is all.... Oh well I will wait to hear from lightake...

Anyone know of a bigger battery that will fit this thing yet?

It's not normal .... there is something wrong with your model. Can you check antenna lenght ? should be approximatively 31mm
Aug 19, 2015, 03:46 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Is this a trend to reduce range? Small quads with internal antenna like the BayangToys X9 have excellent range, up to 50 metres sometimes, same goes for my JJ1000, and Lishi Toys L6052. All have no protruding antenna on quad or transmitter. But a lot of new stuff seems to be limited at 20 metres, unless modified. Weird...
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Aug 19, 2015, 03:48 PM
Quadcopter Noob
Ya my antenna length in the quad is just like yours, but the one in the controller is 25 mm, much shorter than the one you have pictured and its attached to a circuit board, very different thats for sure. The reviews and info on about the quad shows it will go 100 meters, and watching Quadcopter 101's videos, his has great range!!!
Aug 19, 2015, 06:43 PM
The pinion on the motors seems to have 12 teeth?
This quad has good reviews but if they already did modifications I hope they do not degrade it like many other quads because I like this quad and was going to order it.
Aug 19, 2015, 11:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias_Hendrik
The pinion on the motors seems to have 12 teeth?
This quad has good reviews but if they already did modifications I hope they do not degrade it like many other quads because I like this quad and was going to order it.

Yes 12 teeth..... I don't think they did any change. I didn't receive any pre-release version for sure
Aug 23, 2015, 12:51 PM
Today I ordered my here.

http://www.everbuying.net/product1081216.html
Aug 27, 2015, 11:11 AM
if the receiver board no CR-4Z33034RX 2015/1/15 you can bind with JXD395/ Cheerson CX10 green board but opposite direction foward/reverse stick
Aug 27, 2015, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by manjay
if the receiver board no CR-4Z33034RX 2015/1/15 you can bind with JXD395/ Cheerson CX10 green board but opposite direction foward/reverse stick
Thanks, I guess it also prob. means it can be controlled by Deviation if I remember correctly??
Last edited by Alias_Hendrik; Aug 27, 2015 at 12:06 PM.
Aug 28, 2015, 12:34 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by manjay

Mine came with a LT5910 (a SoC with a LT8910 RF chip). This one is unfortunatly incompatible with DeviationTX (62.5Kbit/s datarate)

Quick Reply