Dec 14, 2015, 04:34 PM
Mine flew with C/G at 30% of the upper wing.
A short nose plane requires quite a lot of down and side thrust.
For F/F models converted to R/C electric, a reduced amount of wing incidence may reduce the tendency to climb and stall.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2015, 05:44 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys that gives me some food for thought. I'll bring the balance point further forward and correct the incidence on the upper wing and try again.

Owlsabie you make a good point about balancing the model with the stab being level. Usually I just try and guess whether the model looks level or slightly nose down which can be a bit subjective but if I were to measure it with a spirit level applied near the stab but not actually bearing any weight on it...
Dec 15, 2015, 10:47 PM
Nice build and a great little model Albert. Thanks for sharing.
John
May 10, 2016, 09:49 AM

flipper dihedra brace

Hi guys can any of you help this old brain dead fart i need to see a close up of how the brace was fitted also are both wings got the same amount of dihedral in any help would help me out cheers
May 10, 2016, 10:58 AM
On mine the dihedral is the same on both wings.

Al
May 10, 2016, 11:08 AM
thank you i am trying to find out how the brace is placed at a total loss at the moment
May 10, 2016, 11:44 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Easy really Paul; the brace glues to the back of the top spar. The spars follow the line of the bottom of the brace so that you get the dihedral. The way I would do it would be to make up the 3 pieces of the spar with the brace first, in fact I would use TWO braces in each wing and build complete top AND bottom spars this way. Then I would build the centre section first fitting only the bottom spar, tilt it to build the left panel on then tilt back to build the right panel on and add the assembled top spar last of all. The photo sequence below will make this clear I hope, this is my 18" Flipper, not the 27, which uses three 1/8" square spars per wing, but the principle is exactly the same. Hope that helps.
Last edited by Sundancer; May 10, 2016 at 12:29 PM.
May 12, 2016, 12:34 AM
Thread OP
You'll love the Flipper Paul it's got lots of character!

Mine finished up balancing at 30% chord of the upper wing the same as Guizzo's. To acheive this I needed 65g of ballast in the nose!!

This brings the AUW in at 402g which is still within the 14.5oz weight quoted on the plan but it does make for a fairly steep glide. I love the look of this design and have invested some effort so far and want to end up with a plane I'm 100% happy with so I'm going to rebuild a new fuselage for her with the aim to get the AUW down to less than 300g - ideally 250g. I'll keep the existing outline but employ stringered construction instead and try to build a lighter tail based on the same lattice framework.
May 12, 2016, 11:39 AM
Ok to be honest i am lost on the dihedral brace yesterday i cut the brace out of 1/16th ply the brace i think should sit flat on the 1/16th bace but the problem i have is when i cut the thin slither for the brace to go through the ribe it leave nothing or very little rib balsa left this is the only part i am stuck on if anyone can help me please
May 12, 2016, 12:35 PM
Thread OP
Have a look at the picture in post #22 of this thread, its the only picture that I have to hand. The dihedral brace is fitted longest edge to the top of wing spar so that its upper edge will sit under the top sheeting and the tapers either side follow the countour of the lower of the wing per the dihedral angle. Hopefully this makes it clearer, if not I'll try and sketch something up to illustrate it better.

Quick Reply