Thread Tools
Jul 03, 2004, 08:44 PM
Registered User
Cebola's Avatar
Thread OP

Triton X Lypoli

It hapents today
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 03, 2004, 09:14 PM
Registered User
Ben Diss's Avatar
Anybody hurt? How much damage to the car? Any idea how it happened?

Jul 03, 2004, 09:28 PM
Registered User
T_Hartigan's Avatar

I have a Triton, but have never had that happen. I charge in a safe at home, but have not had to charge out on the go yet.

Do give details as to what happened.

Jul 03, 2004, 09:34 PM
Registered User
Cebola's Avatar
Thread OP
The Triton was tuned for a 0,4C , and nobody knows how the battery explodes and burn.
The external temperature was 24°c, in a very dry day.
The explosion has produced intense heat, and flame, and the main fact is that the battery was in charge for only 5 minutes.
Nobody hurts, only the car!!!
Jul 03, 2004, 11:54 PM
Texas..Bigger than France
moter's Avatar
Were you sitting in the drivers seat when it exploded? If not does it not say to not charge the battery unattended? WHY would you charge the battery IN your car? Any history on the battery use and how old it is?
Jul 04, 2004, 07:49 AM
Space Coast USA
hoppy's Avatar
Cebola, we're sorry about the fire. Thanks for reporting the incident. Can you give us the brand and # of cells in the pack? Was it a depleted pack? Had you flown it yet?
Thanks for any additional info.
Jul 04, 2004, 09:44 AM
electron liberator
jaywatay's Avatar
Wow, sorry to see that. Hopefully noone was hurt.
Jul 04, 2004, 01:19 PM
Registered User
Cebola's Avatar
Thread OP
There was nobody in the car, and the reason to put in charge inside of was avoid Sun heat, and get get some shadow.
The battery inflate and explode in a few minutes, but is not my car and my battery, is a friend car, Triton and battery.
Jul 04, 2004, 05:58 PM
Registered User
Cebola's Avatar
Thread OP
But concluding

Triton is not a safe equipament.
And I have many reasons to say that!!!!!!!
Jul 04, 2004, 06:26 PM
MaxAmps CMO
JAM's Avatar
Don't go and bad mouth a product that has worked well for others many times and my self . you've overlooked something. It's best to figure out what that is before you go and trash a product.
Jul 04, 2004, 06:59 PM
Registered User
Sorry about the car. Was the thermo probe being used? I don’t see any remains of it in the pictures.
Never had a problem with my Triton, but I know of someone who has tried to charge LiPo on a NiCad setting. Something about starting from battery memory menu and not checking the screen after starting charge. Thermo probe stopped the charger and kept the cells from ballooning. It was a new 3S Tanic pack, and lost one cell. Always check the temperature cut off and adjust it to 5-10*F above ambient temp. Even though the Triton has up to a 130* cut off setting, they recommend no more than 100*F for lipo’s. Sometimes my charger will shut off because ambient has raised that much during multiple charges.
Jul 05, 2004, 12:48 PM
Master ReKitter
uglyplane's Avatar
I feel your pain , I burned 2 TP2100's . my fault, 1 was damaged and I kept using it.
Jul 05, 2004, 05:19 PM
ok, maybe it is a toy
rob mueller's Avatar
I don't get it??? The seat and door are totally burnt in the first photo, but the Triton and yellow pack looks OK until the second photo...? Edit: OK upon a further look, I see the damage to the seat and door must not be from the fire.
Last edited by rob mueller; Jul 05, 2004 at 07:05 PM.
Jul 05, 2004, 05:42 PM
Yes, we need to know a few things.

1 Size and wiring of the lipoly
2 Was it a new battery or had it been flown before? Had it been crashed?
3 What charge rate were you using? Was it greater than 1C?

I cringe when I think how many times I have charged lipolys in my car. Never again....
Jul 05, 2004, 06:23 PM
Space Coast USA
hoppy's Avatar
Perhaps a wrong setting???? NiMH or NiCd???

Quick Reply

Thread Tools